• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Belladonna

Bobby Deal

Local side show performer which we recently shot for a German Tattoo Magazine

Belladonna

619611432_M7iGU-X3-1.jpg

619611501_We2aF-X3-1.jpg

619611452_ZpRvt-X3-1.jpg

619611488_VCnMb-X3-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Giorgio Wild

Hi Bobby,

how do you realize the great, saturated colors of the Tatoo? I've experienced some problems capturing the color of tatoos.

regards
Giorgio

Bobby Deal

Hi Bobby,

how do you realize the great, saturated colors of the Tatoo? I've experienced some problems capturing the color of tatoos.

regards
Giorgio

NIKON!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No really just joking, well maybe anywise.

The most important thing is a good exposure. Then from there it is

Select the Burn Tool > Soft Edged brush>Mode Set To Shadows>Exposure set to 8 and brush lightly over the ink, it will deepen the shadowsand brighten the tones in the tat's resulting in fresh viberant color with strong contrast

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Helpful hint: Enhancement of features of a picture: Making Tattoos Stand out!

NIKON!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No really just joking, well maybe anywise.

The most important thing is a good exposure. Then from there it is

Select the Burn Tool > Soft Edged brush>Mode Set To Shadows>Exposure set to 8 and brush lightly over the ink, it will deepen the shadowsand brighten the tones in the tat's resulting in fresh viberant color with strong contrast

Bobby,

This is so helpful. I'm glad you share this as the faded tattoo as shot is often a disappointment. More important, tattoos have become very fashionable and if it's there, we need to image it well! Just a an extra point. In using the burn dodge tools it's good to continually use the square brackets, the L and R to make the brush smaller or larger respectively and not use the same size brush for everything. Next, it's great to do this on a separate layer for each unit of detail one is doing so one can blend each of them individually to the original. Also, if one section is perfect and the new one is not really up to it, one can simply restart on a new layer just for that feature.

Asher

BTW, the skin color from Nikons has been a preference of some for a long time. now the Canons are pretty wonderful too. We shouldn't overlook the Fuji and especially for the wide dynamic range useful for bride and groom formal shots.

Bobby Deal

Asher, yea I guess I take it for granted that everyone knows that working in multiple layers is preferred and keyboard shortcuts in general are a time saver beyond compare and one our best defenses against carpal tunnel so I would recommend that everyone use keyboard short cuts for every task they can. If someone needs to know the keyboard short cut for a given tool and don't know where to find it just hover over the tool for a moment and the shortcut will come up in the tool menu fly out.

ErikJonas

Banned
Critique????

I am useless here as i do not know how to Critique well shot images...The only fault i have here is i am not a fan of large water marks on the image.A picture is about the PICTURE or its about the water mark...The images though are well shot.Tats can be hard to capture just right.My hats off to the photographer...(An i'm glad i'm not bald else i'd be embarassed =O)

Bobby Deal

I am useless here as i do not know how to Critique well shot images...The only fault i have here is i am not a fan of large water marks on the image.A picture is about the PICTURE or its about the water mark...The images though are well shot.Tats can be hard to capture just right.My hats off to the photographer...(An i'm glad i'm not bald else i'd be embarassed =O)

Images that are delivered for commercial use do not get the logo watermark but when they are being displayed online for promotional purposes then I always want my logo on them. Yes it may detract a tiny bit but we do our best to keep them in neutral space. Even though these watermarks will do nothing to protect the image, it allows us to build brand awareness and that is part of the reason for publicly sharing images.

Tasha Pinheiro

Local side show performer which we recently shot for a German Tattoo Magazine

Belladonna

619611501_We2aF-X3-1.jpg

619611452_ZpRvt-X3-1.jpg

These two shots are my favourite, Bobby. First I want to say, I love the model. Something about alternative models really appeals to me. Perhaps its because I really love body art and modification. Regardless, she is brilliant. Beyond the body modification, I love her unique facial features.

As for the photographs themselves, I love that the background is simple white. It really lets one focus on the vibrant tattoos without getting distracted.

I love number two because it is very 50s pin up girl and I love that style. I especially like it because the model is very modern day in appearance.

Number three I think just has a great angle and that look in her eyes... So much attitude! Wonderful.

Your photos are great, I love tatoos but generally not coloured ones, exceptions for the ones like this gals'. She is indeed beautiful and not just an "alternative" model, she is a proper model. I just regret that sometimes the world of tattoos and BodMod are so easily associated with sexy dress (I know that what they want is tatoo and not clothes) and most of the time bondage, although is not the case with yours. I think there is a lot of tatooed people who don't recognise themselves in that. (A bit like if all the motorbike fans were associated with Village People style leather guys. :) )
You made a point at keeping it non-creepy :)
You never use the low-opacity-brush-on-a-neutral-soft light-layer technique?. I like it better especially when you select subtle tones from the subject instead of black and white brush. It's very versatile (when making an error just paint back with neutral grey). you can also adjust with the Hue/ saturation layer (excluding the skin tones) should work very well with the blues. It's been ages that I didn't touch any burn and dodge tool.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Your photos are great, I love tatoos but generally not coloured ones, exceptions for the ones like this gals'.

You never use the low-opacity-brush-on-a-neutral-soft light-layer technique?. I like it better especially when you select subtle tones from the subject instead of black and white brush. It's very versatile (when making an error just paint back with neutral grey). you can also adjust with the Hue/ saturation layer (excluding the skin tones) should work very well with the blues. It's been ages that I didn't touch any burn and dodge tool.

Sandrine,

Could you explain more?

Asher

Sandrine,

Could you explain more?

Asher

yeah...
On top of your stacked layer or original dupe, make a new layer (alt+new layer icon) on the menu select your name (D&B for example), blending mode soft light (or overlay, but less subtle) and tick the "select neutral color for the blending mode" which is 50% grey for this case). Now you got a new non destructive layer where you can paint light (this technique is sometimes called PWL - paint with light) and shadows that affect the layer underneath. Then you paint with a low opacity, soft edges (for me between 10-20%) in black for shadows or white for HL with the brackets at your hands for modifying the size. Most of the time I select with "alt" the color I want (not really the color but the "grey values" of the color) to apply shades of grey instead of pure black and white. In my head I try to figure the thing in black and white...

As for the hue/saturation, you can select your tones in the drop down menu instead of leaving "master", hence the skin is mostly red, yellow, and magenta, you can select for example "blues" and increase the saturation and it will only affect the tattoos (a mask may help, but because it doesn't touch the skin, you don't have to be super-precise). Great for changing colors in garments as well...