• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Perspective

James Lemon

i-MJqKCk2-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

This is so fascinating by the trompe l'oeil!

Interesting to me that one thinks of a railway with the Orange on each side bring freight cars. Only when realizing there are yellow traffic lines in the center, does the concept of a freeway displace the seemingly obvious railway track!

I wonder what the bushes are on either side?

Asher

James Lemon

http://www.etcgroup.org/sites/www.etcgroup.org/files/files/etc-whowillfeedus-english-webshare.pdf
Hi, James,

Beautiful, real-but-not, and a very apt title!

Best regards,

Doug

James,

This is so fascinating by the trompe l'oeil!

Interesting to me that one thinks of a railway with the Orange on each side bring freight cars. Only when realizing there are yellow traffic lines in the center, does the concept of a freeway displace the seemingly obvious railway track!

I wonder what the bushes are on either side?

Asher

Doug, Asher

Glad you like the image, thank your for your comments! The bushes are rows and rows of Blueberry vines.

1.Peasants are the main or sole
food providers to more than
70% of the world’s people,and

peasants produce this food with
less (often much less) than 25%
of the resources – including
land, water, fossil fuels – used
to get all of the world’s food to
the table.
2. The Industrial Food Chain uses
at least 75% of the world’s
agricultural resources and is a
major source of GHG emissions,
but provides food to less than
30% of the world’s people.2
3. For every $1 consumers pay to
Chain retailers, society pays
another $2 for the Chain’s
health and environmental
damages.3 The total bill for the
Chain’s direct and indirect cost
is 5 times governments’ annual
military expenditure.4

http://www.etcgroup.org/sites/www.etcgroup.org/files/files/etc-whowillfeedus-english-webshare.pdf

James

Peter Dexter

Clear photographic example of "one Point" perspective which allows the viewer to identify the precise position from which the photo or drawing was made.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Peter,

Clear photographic example of "one Point" perspective . . .

Indeed. This type of perspective of course results when all the lines in the scene that are not parallel to the image plane are perpendicular to it. That is seemingly for all practical purposes true here.

. . . which allows the viewer to identify the precise position from which the photo or drawing was made.

Yes, we can do that if (for this example):

• We know the relative heights of the utility poles (here we can reasonably presume they are equal) and

• We know the distances between them (we can reasonably presume they are equal) (often 132 feet).

Then the point of perspective (the point from which the picture is taken) will be very nearly this distance from some handy pole (perhaps the nearest visible pole):

d/((h1/h2)-1)

where d is the distance between successive poles, h1 is the height of the image of the chosen pole, and h2 is the height of the image of the next pole out.

For 2-point and 3-point perspective, the reckoning is a rather more complicated.

I think.

Best regards,

Doug