• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Big Tree

Peter Dexter

A small image from a point and shoot camera taken a while ago. The setting is the jungle in Chocó Department on the western side of Colombia. I would love to know what species of tree.

39218866065_06265d47e9_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, it's a challenge, Peter. first the young lady is distracting or shall I say the tree is?

In your area I find the following staggering facts:

Tropical rainforests set records in biodiversity: anywhere between 40 to 100 species of tree can be found in a 1-hectare plot of land. Take the Cocha Cashu Biological Station in the Amazon floodplain forests of Peru, as an example. There, at least 1,856 species of higher plants have been discovered. More here.

But I do think that your tree is very much like the Kapok Tree, Ceiba pentandra. Do you have pictures of the leaves.

Asher

Asher Kelman

A small image from a point and shoot camera taken a while ago. The setting is the jungle in Chocó Department on the western side of Colombia. I would love to know what species of tree.

39218866065_06265d47e9_b.jpg

Now to the girl. Here relaxed pose, I have seen before. She's fun and self confident. Does she have insect repellant, as she seems to vulnerable to all the attacking ants and biting spiders, let alone anacondas slithering from the river!

Amazing that such a gentle little person can counterbalance likely one of the the most massive trees on the planet!

I really like the photograph. I hope you have taken a lot of other pictures at that location.

Asher

Peter Dexter

Thank you Asher I think Ceiba is a good call. Didn't get a look at the leaves. No no repellant though biting ants were a good possibility. On a different visit to the location (Nuquí) I found myself a few feet away from a Chocoan Bushmaster (Lachesis acrochordaa) while visiting a bat cave. We both remained calm (me and the snake) but an aggressive encounter would have been considerably worse for me than ant bites.

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher I think Ceiba is a good call. Didn't get a look at the leaves. No no repellant though biting ants were a good possibility. On a different visit to the location (Nuquí) I found myself a few feet away from a Chocoan Bushmaster (Lachesis acrochordaa) while visiting a bat cave. We both remained calm (me and the snake) but an aggressive encounter would have been considerably worse for me than ant bites.

Did I say she is ❤️ ly!

You could have a major TV series!

Asher