• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Artsy, Shallow DOF with Summar 5cm.

Roger Lund

I was feeling artsy with my ernst leitz wetzlar summar 5cm f2.0 , hence this set is all about shallow DOF. Shot with Extension Tubes. Plus it's winter in MN, and what else am I going to do? :)

Only editing was a de-hazing in lightroom, since this copy of the lens isn't perfect.

Thanks for Looking, and Enjoy.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was feeling artsy with my ernst leitz wetzlar summar 5cm f2.0 , hence this set is all about shallow DOF. Shot with Extension Tubes. Plus it's winter in MN, and what else am I going to do? :)

Hello Roger,

You can't do better than a Summicron. Gradually, you have removed yourself from the reality of the objects you shoot.

I am presuming that you want artistic feedback. That requires risk on your part and our own. So if my suggestions do not resonate or are unwanted let me know.

That process needs to continue to the nth. I think this last picture starts to get legs. It has to be simple, very simple and the ethereal aspects of soft focus have to be working for you. This begins in this last picture.

To me, the more you can exclude the better. We do not need context, I would offer, in such a picture, rather we want to be carried away to somewhere mysterious with so many questions unanswered.

Asher

Roger Lund

Hello Roger,

You can't do better than a Summicron. Gradually, you have removed yourself from the reality of the objects you shoot.

I am presuming that you want artistic feedback. That requires risk on your part and our own. So if my suggestions do not resonate or are unwanted let me know.

That process needs to continue to the nth. I think this last picture starts to get legs. It has to be simple, very simple and the ethereal aspects of soft focus have to be working for you. This begins in this last picture.

To me, the more you can exclude the better. We do not need context, I would offer, in such a picture, rather we want to be carried away to somewhere mysterious with so many questions unanswered.

Asher

Thank you for the feedback as always. I enjoy this kind of work extensively, however I feel it is entirely by the gut process for me without any artistic training. Thus, I would take any direction on published works for this type as research, or reading on techniques in this area.

furthermore, What area of the forums would pictures like the last be best posted into?

Again, thanks for the C&C.

Roger L

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Riskit!

That's where this belongs and I will move there shortly!

Be very bold and push the margins of what you would normally do. You have nothing to lose.

However, it must appeal to you. That test is critical. You must discover that path for yourself by doing a lot of work, choosing you favorites and then murderong most of them.

What's left, what you treasure, will resonate with you and then, hopefully, it will move us too. To get there, you need to do a lot of work making pictures and asking what you like about what you see and where you can do even better. You cannot select from your darlings if you have not acquired them in the first place!

Asher