• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This Sporting Life

gull_bike_dsc4151_lu_popart_white_fin_by_rufusthered-db9wta8.jpg

Early morning in Grand Marais, Minnesota. This gull began a day's flying, gliding, fishing, treasure hunting; and of course, spectating at the foolish things humans do. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Early morning in Grand Marais, Minnesota. This gull began a day's flying, gliding, fishing, treasure hunting; and of course, spectating at the foolish things humans do. Cheers, Mike.

This is impressive, equally your psychoanalysis of the birds view of things!

Now, Michael a question. If it was easy, would you nudge the bird free of the cycle sign or you believe that would be a lie and you just couldn't trespass on the "truth" or the matter.........or perhaps that overlap is essential to the strength of the composition?

Asher

Hi Asher. I 'lied' about the color, changing the original to a more 'pop art' format to blend with the purple store paint to the right. Also, the camera was at an angle when I pivoted around to shoot the photo, so the orientation is a lie, too. So, the image would probably be improved by nudging the gull to the left, but I never thought of doing that. My delight was getting the gull in flight beside the 'flying bike".

About humans and gulls: humans delude themselves all the time and call those delusions 'truth'. Gulls have no need of such delusion, as far as we know, which makes them an inferior species, in our collective opinon :)
Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

Michael,

I think the secret to understanding the mechanics of our delusions is that we take one particular narrow view of events from some unrepeatable perspective and conflate that with the knowledge obtainable by having infinite points of view.

So we don't lie, we just are ready to act with only a fraction of the information available, and because using this approach we often make good guesses, we have come to be ever more confident of our ability to assess things with insufficient information.

Trumpism is an example of that sense of being a "naturally street smart" person, who despite lacking knowledge, experience and insight, can instinctively know the truth of the matter!

The job of rationalism and enlightment is to oppose such approaches to problems.

......and yes, I noticed the purple, but I thought that you color balanced on some pigmented object you thought was neatrql grey....and then like the result!

Asher

Michael,

... we are ready to act with only a fraction of the information available, and because using this approach we often make good guesses, we have come to be ever more confident of our ability to assess things with insufficient information.

Trumpism is an example of that sense of being a "naturally street smart" person, who despite lacking knowledge, experience and insight, can instinctively know the truth of the matter!

The job of rationalism and enlightment is to oppose such approaches to problem

Asher

Re. the first paragraph: It seem to provide a reasonable description of how science operates. First conjecture because the scientist doesn't know enough to offer other than a guess. Then an attempt at refutation of that conjecture. If that attempt fails to provide evidence for refutation, a consequence is greater Bayesian confidence in the hypothesis. Popper would be happy with that.

Re. the second paragraph: Is Trump, therefore, a scientist because he operates like one? Not necessarily. He thinks he's an artist rather than a scientist (cf. his book 'The Art of the Deal)'. One of the delights of the committedly artistic mind that it can never contemplate the notion of its own fallibility. The reason being an absence of reason or obligation to attempt to refute its own conjectures. Trump seems like a good example of that.

That's my two cents for what it's worth. Now I'll go back to photoing seagulls. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

Michael,

There's a special advantage to using your added hue. That causes a suppression of the entire detailed, (may I venture to even cautiously say, cluttered"), background. This, in a way, is akin to blurring the background.

There is, in many natural scenes, too much details and lenses are to sharp and define too much outside the main subject. So any procedure, (such as this), which paints "commonness" to the outside of the main subject, adds clarity to the sense of the picture.

As the headmaster used to say in the morning Grammar School assembly, after that day's quote from the bible, "Here endeth the lesson"!

Asher

Michael,

There's a special advantage to using your added hue. That causes a suppression of the entire detailed, (may I venture to even cautiously say, cluttered"), background. This, in a way, is akin to blurring the background.

There is, in many natural scenes, too much details and lenses are to sharp and define too much outside the main subject. So any procedure, (such as this), which paints "commonness" to the outside of the main subject, adds clarity to the sense of the picture.

As the headmaster used to say in the morning Grammar School assembly, after that day's quote from the bible, "Here endeth the lesson"!

Asher

Absolutely. I agree 100%. This photo was an experiment with that technique. I think of it as a form of 'pop art' to use a 1960s expression. Cheers, Mike.