• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Is it any good? In 2018.

fahim mohammed

Leica M8 was introduced sep, 2006. It immediately ran into issues. It’s sensor had a color cast problem.
Leica offered 2 free uv/ir cut filters to alleviate the problem.
It had an APS-H ccd sensor

2008 saw an upgraded version. The Leica M8.2

Forward to 2018. The M8 would be considered on life support ( actually on DNR..since its back panel display cannot be replaced. ). They are going for a pittance ( in Leica terms ) nowadays.

I have 2 of these geriatric digital cameras.

Does the M8 have any merit today? Besides those that converted it for ir use.

I believe the M8 to be the best camera I have, not withstanding all its shortcomings.
I use it, whenever possible, just for the results I get from its 10.3 Kodak ccd sensor.

I will never sell mine. Why?

p2778373362-5.jpg

It is a love/hate relationship for me. But I always smile, when I see what it produced..

p2778373363-6.jpg

The unique process and end result from this 2006 grand dame brings the joy of photography back to me...

p2778373364-5.jpg

In this day and age, where the majority of images are viewed on the web, seeing a print is believing.
I have moved on to other cameras, for various reasons, but not necessarily for their image quality.

The M8, paired with a Leica M lens, remains as one of my vices.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leica M8 was introduced sep, 2006. It immediately ran into issues. It’s sensor had a color cast problem.
Leica offered 2 free uv/ir cut filters to alleviate the problem.
It had an APS-H ccd sensor

2008 saw an upgraded version. The Leica M8.2

Forward to 2018. The M8 would be considered on life support ( actually on DNR..since its back panel display cannot be replaced. ). They are going for a pittance ( in Leica terms ) nowadays.

I have 2 of these geriatric digital cameras.

Does the M8 have any merit today? Besides those that converted it for ir use.

I believe the M8 to be the best camera I have, not withstanding all its shortcomings.
I use it, whenever possible, just for the results I get from its 10.3 Kodak ccd sensor.

I will never sell mine. Why?

p2778373362-5.jpg

It is a love/hate relationship for me. But I always smile, when I see what it produced..

p2778373363-6.jpg

The unique process and end result from this 2006 grand dame brings the joy of photography back to me...

p2778373364-5.jpg

In this day and age, where the majority of images are viewed on the web, seeing a print is believing.
I have moved on to other cameras, for various reasons, but not necessarily for their image quality.

The M8, paired with a Leica M lens, remains as one of my vices.

Of course newer models will have tackled some issues that Leica heard complaints about. All vintage cameras with great lenses work magically in the hands of those who acquired skills to work within the devices limits. One could say what you have written for large format cameras.l in the hands of those who carry their camera everywhere.

The most important thing in this case is that you are skilled with this superb instrument and it is an extension of your senses.

That cannot be easily replaced!

Asher

James Lemon

Oh yes still a relevant camera Fahim. Hard to beat the look of the CDD sensor. It is unfortunate that they did not spend more time on R & D with this sensor. I believe that with the right people time and money they could have produced something that would work with live view and improved QC and still have kept that super look.

fahim mohammed

Asher, James..thanks for stopping by and the comments.

James, surprisingly, the M8 even works during the Canadian winters :)

p2778383870-5.jpg

M8, cron 28 asph. What a stunning lens, that is.

Asher Kelman

Asher, James..thanks for stopping by and the comments.

James, surprisingly, the M8 even works during the Canadian winters :)

p2778383870-5.jpg

M8, cron 28 asph. What a stunning lens, that is.

I tested the M8 for a while and was impressed by the robustness of the RAW files. One could do a lot of S curve tweaking and not cause detectable posterization. Also, as one can see with your examples, color can be so rich!

Asher

fahim mohammed

They are a small company ( cf. other camera manufacturers ) producing exceedingly high priced, but wonderful cameras. I personally cannot afford to be on their upgrade curve. But I do not envy those that can afford these exquisite photographic tools.

It is their special editions that get me thinking...like the current Leica M Monochrome ' Stealth Edition ', designed by Marcus Wainwright. I learn that only a handful shall be produced. At, to me at least, astronomical cost, I am sure.

After all, one has to make a profit, eh!!

Asher Kelman

I have not kept up. What would be the Leica you would choose today, money no object and not just to resell. What you would be thrilled to use?

Asher

fahim mohammed

It might be difficult for some to understand, but photography for me is more than numbers and data sheet comparisons. For me it is more. Technical sheets sure, but the ‘ feeling ‘...the pleasure, the ‘ something ‘ of pure joy. Something which makes you want to take a photograph...these feelings are unquantifiable.

With that said, my choice for a Leica today would be a Leica M type 246 monochrome.
And I would have a hard time deciding between it and the Leica M10.

If I had the disposable resources, I would get them both. But as it stand, I can’t afford either one.

I love to photograph, not for a living, but for the sheer pleasure of it. My current cameras are more than adequate..far more than my skills.

But one can have ‘ wants, desires ‘ even if they seem out of reach.

I don’t need any M lenses, as I have the ones I am content with. So about US $. 16,000/= would get me both.

Till the next M iteration comes along! Some call it foolish to spend large sums on a camera when technically better alternatives exist at much lower cost.

To me and me alone, it comes down to value. What value do I put on the pure joy I derive from picking up an M with its exquisite lenses. That ‘ value ‘ has to be a personal decision.

I have not kept up. What would be the Leica you would choose today, money no object and not just to resell. What you would be thrilled to use?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thanks Nicolas for the comment. I agree with your assessment. This was just to demonstrate the resolving power of the lens in combination with an old sensor.

Take care.

This one is nice too, but it does not have the colours, the framing, the richness of the golden tree…

fahim mohammed

My most use of the M system is not for landscapes, though it is admirably capable of those; it is for something else....

p2785328331-6.jpg

Such are the scenarios where I enjoy using the M system the most. For the joy of photography.

Asher Kelman

My most use of the M system is not for landscapes, though it is admirably capable of those; it is for something else....

p2785328331-6.jpg

Such are the scenarios where I enjoy using the M system the most. For the joy of photography.

I think that the modest bulk of the camera makes it less intrusive than most Canon and Nikon DSLRs.

The micro 4/3 systems seem that way too and have the added advantage of up to 600 mm zooms that are almost pocketable. So one can get wildlife too.

I guess if I had the Leica as my street camera, I would get a small zoom camera just for birds and beasts!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, if I were to start afresh with a camera system, the mft would definitely be in the running. But as it is, it would be very difficult to forego of my system/s now.

I use zooms, but very rarely. I prefer to be nearer to me subjects..specially if they are birds that don't fly away.

The following one is by my Leica ME in Laos...

p2785328357-6.jpg

fahim mohammed

p2778373359-6.jpg

Good or bad. Depends on what the viewer looks for in an image.
Maybe for the photog, it was what he/she wanted to capture. For the pleasure of it!

Asher Kelman

p2778373359-6.jpg

Good or bad. Depends on what the viewer looks for in an image.
Maybe for the photog, it was what he/she wanted to capture. For the pleasure of it!

Here is have the feeling of being in Istanbul, but the waterway iseen would likely be much more vast!

Asher

fahim mohammed

As I have grown older, the stark realization that the only camera one needs is the one one has on one!

So the question ' is it any good in 2018? ', is of dubious value.

More importantly, for me personally, I should asked; ' do you make better images with it now than when you bought it? '

The answer for me, sadly, is a reluctant and emphatic ' No '.

Asher Kelman

The Leica will behave as it is built, hand made and intended to be durable, accurate and a gem.

For most enthusiasts and even more than a few Pros, a there are rarely a shortage of needed pixels for the sizes images are ultimately printed. So hence the draw of dropping in cost and mass to schlepping with little if any loss in quality.

The 4/3 cameras, as a class, allow one to shed a lot of weight and yet carry superb lenses with unbelievable reach. The mount has attracted so many lens manufacturers that one can get premium Leica and Zeiss lenses, albeit not the bespoke Crons you use!

I however think that the APS-C cameras by Sony are perhaps the best gems as they have much of the advantages of both a full frame and a 4/3 but a unique quality of image and recovery of shadows.

Yet, for travel, to include wild life and grasp thevinaccessible with reach, yes, I would go for 4/3rds.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher.

The Leica, for me, is all about simplicity. The photographer’s triangle. ss, aperture, iso. Nothing else matters. Leica excels in the ergonomics and simplicity.

Fuji, imho, follows this ethos..with all the above 3 parameters superbly placed to hand.

The Sony, well I bought the first Walkman, in 1984 in Tokyo and had it with me as I was landing at Honolulu airport on Northwest airlines....young ones will not remember Northwest.
Sony is a technology oriented company. It reflects in their products. When the dust settles, I will surely look at them.

Olympus. Once you set up the menus...they are ok. But then a MFT system by its very sensor is limited
To be suitable for me. At this moment in time.
Same with the LUMIX/Panasonic.

Then there are the Canikons..I am an old timer. Old habits die hard.
I just bought me a new Nikon D750, from the dealer. 24 MP is enough for me. I just need a wide angle
Prime for it or maybe the 16-35mm F/4 VR.

I don’t do and never shall do MF or LF. So no interest.

For what I do, the Nikon’s, Leicas, and the Fujis fit the bill. I just have to carry 2 different brands when I travel. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I have hopefully learned how to use them to their strengths.

A new camera ecosystem is not for me.

fahim mohammed

p3105592024-5.jpg

I have forgotten about camera gear ( for now anyway !! ). The equipment I have far exceeds my capabilities.

If one has some disposable income for photography, where should one spend it?

On gear, improving one's photographic vision, travel etc?

What do you folks think?

Asher Kelman

p3105592024-5.jpg

I have forgotten about camera gear ( for now anyway !! ). The equipment I have far exceeds my capabilities.

If one has some disposable income for photography, where should one spend it?

On gear, improving one's photographic vision, travel etc?

What do you folks think?

There is such joy and memory here. This is a metaphor for the infinite, a memory of a sunset walk with a lover one couldn’t keep and so much more!

If your hands and brain can work together and you have trained your passionate choices, there is no better instrument to take along than any leica!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I did linger along this stretch of beach ( not very clean though ) with Ayesha, as it was just below
our hotel.

Peter, much appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. Thank you.

Thanks to both.

There is such joy and memory here. This is a metaphor for the infinite, a memory of a sunset walk with a lover one couldn’t keep and so much more!

If your hands and brain can work together and you have trained your passionate choices, there is no better instrument to take along than any leica!

Asher