• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D3X cats @ 800 &1600

martin best

you might have guessed I like my D3X, admittedly its very unforgiving at times, I wasted a glorious afternoon on my one day out a week by not taking into account i was less than 100% when down with the flu,, didnt have the confidence to boost iso to compensate and as a result very little to show for it. However having seen these results, will be fairly comfortable shooting at 400-800 and 1600 when i need to, and higher when circumstances warrant. These were taken during a coffee break, with fairly unhelpful camera shy subjects. Not sure how the D3 compares, but noise for me is low enough not to worry? let me know what you think?.

check out the cat shots under D3X 180mm f2.8 section
http://www.wildpix.net/docs/equip/d3xsamples.php?cat=55

or directly
http://www.wildpix.net/docs/equip/cat800iso.php
image lniks to 1600iso version

John Sheehy

you might have guessed I like my D3X, admittedly its very unforgiving at times, I wasted a glorious afternoon on my one day out a week by not taking into account i was less than 100% when down with the flu,, didnt have the confidence to boost iso to compensate and as a result very little to show for it.

Do you mean that you got under-exposure, or shutter speeds that were too slow?

You have the ideal camera for under-exposure. The D3x in 14-bit mode has the lowest read noise of any DSLR camera at ISO 100, by a good margin. If I were using a D3x, I would not hesitate to lean towards under-exposure of low ISOs in RAW, for the extra margin of highlight safety. In many other cameras there is a very serious tradeoff between using high ISOs and under-exposing low ones. That's a big drawback" of the 5D2. It is excellent at high ISOs, but its ISO 100 is very unforgiving towards under-exposure, as there is significant line noises waiting to mark the shadows of any areas that have weak exposure. The D3x has a very fine-grain type of look down in the deep shadows of ISO 100.