• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Earthquake! Devastation in Port au Prince, Haiti

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The greatest force on earth is lies under our feet, the tectonic plates riding on a violent churning sea of molten larva and massive intercontinental.transcontinental tectonic plates being forced to rise one above the other as the plates grow, pile up, every so often releasing trapped energy with frightening force and destruction.

Earthquake_01.png

BBC Video: Screen Capture

Port Au Prince has little of the modern technology to protect buildings from collapse even in a moderate temblor.

Yesterday one struck with a force of about 7.0 on the Richter scale and essentially the city is destroyed, thousands dead, trapped under rubble screaming or crying in the streets with no possessions lost lives and relatives and no where to go.

New York Times Slide Show should be seen. The BBC reports here

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

So far, this is about to become (if it already isn't) one of the worst nature disasters we've had after the tsunami in 2004. I've just read that the prime minister of Haiti thinks that more than 100,000 people have died. Even more have become homeless. I cannot even begin to imagine how much suffering there is right now in Haiti. When such disasters strike in countries which are better off economically and have stable political systems, one eventually recovers given time and energy. But Haiti is one of the poorest nations on earth, without any substantial economy and in huge political turmoil. So I wonder that this is the final curtain for Haiti? What will happen when aid money and support eventually diminishes and the country is left with a huge gaping wound from which there can be no healing? I am hoping for the best but fear the worst. A very sad, sad day for Haiti and mankind if you ask me.

ErikJonas

Banned
Haiti..........

We live in a world where both nature and man can deal devistating blows that cost many innocent people their lives..... I wish i could be one of the ones going and helping in Haiti but i do not have the funds...I will keep them in my prayers....

There was a black girl that i managed when i first started in my efforts to manage models and she is one fiesty girl...She was adopted by a family who adopted 10 kids...She recently met her real dad and other family members who are in Haiti...Now shes no idea if they are alive.

I know by the character of everyone on at this forum, that everyone is praying for those poor people in Haiti....Hopefully the US will be better at helping them then it was at helping its own people, It is truely a sad event...And help is coming i'm sure from a number of countries. If we looked at each other more as brothers there would be more help. Sad people are already running scams to take advantage of those who would help...

The thoughts of help will be needed long after a month from now.I hope they keep getting help. The death toll of men, women and children will be staggering...

Asher Kelman

2000 marines will be there hopefully tomorrow for rescue efforts. California has sent it's many rescue teams with dogs and gear. Over 50 planes had brought rescue and food stores this morning. The Israeli's have sent a mobile hospital with 40 doctors, 25 nurses and 20 techs an operating room, an intensive care unit and a pharmacy and all the gear to support it. I'm sure the USA is sending more of these. likely France is doing the same.

This is now an air and sea lift of historical importance. With no communication or power, the people of Haiti don't know all this is on their way. Coordinating the aids is a challenge. The US has taken over the running of the airport in Port au Prince.

In the best of times 78% of Haitans lived on less than $2.00 a day. Now with the capital wiped out, the probems effect the entire country.

The aid is pouring in from Mexico China, their Carribean neighbors, France, everywhere!

The conditions are despair and misery. The currency is no longer money, just water.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
I saw on the news China was the first country to land and set up in Haiti...A number of other countries are coming to aid as well....Any life saved is priceless....Good thing so many people are helping....

Asher Kelman

I saw on the news China was the first country to land and set up in Haiti...A number of other countries are coming to aid as well....Any life saved is priceless....Good thing so many people are helping....

Essentially, this is going to be a mainly US lead effort. This is the test of the Obama administration's response to a disaster and nothing will be spared. Money is coming in from Americans texting and the internet for relief organizations is coming in at $200,000 per hour round the clock! The leaders are former Presidents Clinton and Bush Jr. This is going to one of the most massive responses in modern times and every minute counts.

With the USA running the airport, the planes can now land and then there's logistics to have enough gasoline to deliver the goods and relief workers to where they are needed. the medical teams all come with their own support services and supplies so they just have to be delivered to the right location.

Then there's the flow from nursing associations and these folk will be fitted in to the new tent hospitals sent in by foreign states and they will be housed in tents and live on K rations and pretty well work around the clock!

Meanwhile, they have to get the search and rescue teams in and heavy lifting equipment.

They need out help and prayers!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Heard last nught Microsoft has put forth a Million and a Quarter as enitial funds to help...Knowing the type of person Bill Gates is he will most likely put forth more.

The response thus far is impressive. It is critical as is the longer term help....

There are trickling out survival stories which are so nice to hear but the staggering death toll is said to exceed 50,000.......No word yet on Daniels family.....

ErikJonas

Banned
When i text Daniel today she told me shes started breaking down...My forst thought was how can i help....So i called a local News station and they were interested in talking to her. So we'll see how that goes and if shes able to get on TV.....Possibly they could help her locate her family if they are alive....I hope...

Asher Kelman

They are now requesting that no more mobile field hospitals be sent! The issue is how to move the ones arrived and on the way to locations where they can work. Meanwhile US coastguard engineers are on shore giving antibiotics while nurses are stranded waiting for a flight!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
I got Daniel a interview on a local news channel...It was very brief,they showed a picture of her father whos in Haiti...At this point her mother,brother and sister have been found now just her dad is missing.

The death toll is said to be pushing 150,000...But rescues are still happening.

ErikJonas

Banned
I have wanted to do this for some time....Well since the earthquake happened...This is not my picture,i did not take it...But i think it fits for thise thread,for the people of Haiti.......

l_2d4133502ef04a73b38735d9bfa23166.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned
Asher i'm thinking it was a stock image, here is where i found the picture after Googling candle and hope >>>>>> blog.blackandlightco.com