• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Remembering the Lyrics..

fahim mohammed

West Side Story. For those that remember a classic.

When reviewing this image I made in NYC, don't know why but the lyrics jumped out at me.

"Immigrant goes to America,
Many hellos in America;
Nobody knows in America
Puerto Rico's in America! "

p1983373302-5.jpg

fahim mohammed

There is a plaque. With an inscription. It is at the base of statue. A lady holding a flame. Overlooking the ocean.

At times, strong winds have buffeted the flame. It remained burning. Just as hope is everlasting, so is the flame. A symbol of hope. Of values. Of the humanity of man.

Strong winds are once again trying to extinguish the flame. If the flame is extinguished, I am afraid a darkness, the likes of which the world has not witnessed, shall engulf all of us.

The flame, sometimes flickering, but never out. It shall continue to burn brightly.
You see, it is not a physical flame.

The flame represents what we as humans value the most...our hopes, dreams and freedoms. That hope shall continue to burn..everlasting. Just as the flame held by a lady.

The writing on the plaque, in its entirety, reads:
( it actually is a sonnet " New Colossus " )

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

p1897217004-5.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

There is a plaque. With an inscription. It is at the base of statue. A lady holding a flame. Overlooking the ocean.

At times, strong winds have buffeted the flame. It remained burning. Just as hope is everlasting, so is the flame. A symbol of hope. Of values. Of the humanity of man.

Strong winds are once again trying to extinguish the flame. If the flame is extinguished, I am afraid a darkness, the likes of which the world has not witnessed, shall engulf all of us.

The flame, sometimes flickering, but never out. It shall continue to burn brightly.

The flame represents what we as humans value the most...our hopes, dreams and freedoms. That hope shall continue to burn..everlasting. Just as the flame held by a lady.

p1897217004-5.jpg

Thank you so much for your observation, and for this wonderful recitation, and the one from "West Side Story" as well.

I actually cry as I sit here and reflect upon your presentations. Do not feel sad that you have provoked this, for these are tears of emotion, and pride, not of sadness.

I could imagine being asked, "Is not America the greatest nation on earth? Of course, the expected "patriotic" answer is, "Yes, it certainly is."

We have a tragic problem here with the concept of "patriotism", as one political camp seems to feel it is their exclusive "brand".​

And, much to the revulsion of many, the engineer in me would compel me to ask, "by what measure?" And indeed, in many measures of "greatness", our nation comes up short (as could be said of any nation on earth).

Suffice it to say, the United States of America is a great nation.

And I have enormous pride in being a citizen of this great nation.

And I'm grateful that our nation has among its observers, and I suspect "fans", yourself.

In closing, I curse those who would make The United States of America mean.

Thanks, my friend.

And thanks for the two wonderful images as well.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Hi Doug.

Great country. Great people.

You should be proud for being a citizen of the U.S.A

Just wrote what I feel, Doug.

Regards to Carla and yourself.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

p1897217004-5.jpg

Emma Lazarus, the descendant of Jewish immigrants from Portugal, was especially knowledgable of the pain and humiliation that the princes and prelates of the great European powers meted out to anyone not in their particular ethnic, religious or cultural class. She used he rich literary education to write a poem that would embody all the aspirations of the USA where each person could labor to achieve their own goals without the prejudice and barriers the poor and the despised minorities felt in their countries of origin.

The poem was designed to help the public interest and fundraising for installation of the new Statue of Liberty donated by France.

When one reads the poem, it's really a prayer, a hope and an exaltation to fellow Americans to look beyond their own communities to have human bonding and compassion towards new immigrants. Thus, it's not a guarantee. Rather like looking up at the scales of justice above the grand stone steps of a courthouse, there is the hope and expectation of justice but we still have to argue and defend our position and the rights which we assume are ours.

So the poem and statue are like the bible itself, reminders of the best we can be. Still that does not come naturally. In every generation, in every state, in every household in the country we have to defend and fight for these principles as they are not the only natural choices for people to make when facing immigrants. Without our attention to these values, selfish attitudes, paranoia, distortions and plain lies can result in a chorus of xenophobia which comes to be believed to be existential necessities and even patriotic!

That is why it important to be reminded of the demands we must make of ourselves. We cannot take freedoms and our generosity and reasonableness for granted.

So thanks Fahim for reminding us of the beautiful heritage that we need to reference as we decide how this country will play its role in years to come!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, thank you for your observations.

I wrote this post on impulse after reading something in the NYT or WP yesterday ( Sunday for you folks ).

As John F. Kennedy remarked, " better to light one candle than to sit still and curse the darkness ". I am sure there are millions ( 10, 100s of millions ) of candles being lighted in America to keep the flame of liberty and justice burning.

My prayers and best wishes shall always be with your great country and it's people.

Back to the " West Side Story "...

"
I like to be in America!
O.K. by me in America!
Ev'rything free in America
For a small fee in America!

"

p2099932943-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, thank you for your observations.

I wrote this post on impulse after reading something in the NYT or WP yesterday ( Sunday for you folks ).

As John F. Kennedy remarked, " better to light one candle than to sit still and curse the darkness ". I am sure there are millions ( 10, 100s of millions ) of candles being lighted in America to keep the flame of liberty and justice burning.

My prayers and best wishes shall always be with your great country and it's people.

Back to the " West Side Story "...

"
I like to be in America!
O.K. by me in America!
Ev'rything free in America
For a small fee in America!

"

p2099932943-5.jpg

"Everything's right in America
If you can fight in America!"

Essentially, the new immigrant might wait tables and shine shoes, but their children can go to college and by the third generation the family can be very well off. Race is not a barrier. However, a physician from Russia or Egypt might have to work as a research tech for a year while he or she passes basic exams that assure institutions that the folk are indeed qualified.

But many actors, folk born in the USA wait tables too. This is a melting pot and everyone is expected to work there way up the ladder. There is easy recourse for any evidence of discrimination against foreigners, especially if non European ancestry. A 6ft white guy can be fired for saying "Good Morning!" in a fashion that the boss thinks is presumptuous! However, yellow, brown or black skinned person or anyone with a disability, can immediately get major support from the state and Federal government even if there is substantial claim of shortcomings or rudeness by that employee. This is the background to the rebellion against PC policy that some feel has gone too far. Trump benefits from this perceived unfairness to "whites".

The truth is that we have often exploited minorities and so legistalatiob has today left behind those without some "label" that is a "protected class" under the law. Europeans and Jews are not protected as such disadvantaged minorities. I am not sure if Arabs are a recognized disadvantaged minority that has any special protections either.

I believe, but am not certain that Chinese" are minorities that are protected but am not certain. Anyway, the system has good intent but there is some reaentment as an undercurrent.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I believe, but am not certain that Chinese" are minorities that are protected but am not certain.

Well, in the US, Chinese that are of the Asian race (to use the "broader" race classifications generally referenced in employment discrimination statutes) or, though less likely, any other race other than "white", are protected against discriminatory employment practices, but not because they are "Chinese" that is, are nationals of China.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Asher, I was not talking about any specific issue. But in a broader context, as viewed by a less informed
external observer.

But I do know that the Bill of Rights consists of 10 amendments to the U.S Constitution and not 12!

The baton has been passed to you and your countrymen. To defend, and preserve the enlightened American ' heritage ' that you speak of. And it is that ' heritage ' that I value and respect.

The world shall wait and watch. As shall my grandchildren. And indeed, as shall the lady with the flame, looking out towards the ocean.

p.s. This is a photography forum after all. And I vote for..

NSFW:

Art

fahim mohammed

One of the reasons I was cheering for Team USA...bringing respect, and victory to the USA.

p2097858760-5.jpg

p1993205655-5.jpg

Simone Biles ( Team USA Gymnastics; Photo courtesy AP/Getty images ).

Yes sir. This is Team U.S.A