• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kaministaquia Refections on a Still Morning

kaministaquia_reflections_by_rufusthered-daogf0p.jpg

What is beautiful and what is ugly? I thought this industrial scene beautiful. But most people think such scenes ugly. What's that all about?

Cheers, Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

What is beautiful and what is ugly? I thought this industrial scene beautiful.

It is a beautiful scene, in many ways, and a great shot. The water is unbelievably still.

I would like to have seen it a little sharper. Maybe that wasn't practical. (I didn't have to do it!)

But most people think such scenes ugly. What's that all about?

Dunno. À chacun son égout, I guess.

Of course, I grew up in a factory town (Cleveland), and a factory environment.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug. It might have been a bit sharper had my dog not hurryied me along with our walk :) Here's a wider view showing the Jackknife Bascula Bridge that originally had two levels when built over 100 years. It now has only the lower level railway bridge. Behind that are now disused grain elevators. I don't think this picture beautiful but more interesting than the former. It conjures up for me mental images of generations of workers that toiled in trades plied along the river bank. Cheers, Mike

river_kam_img_3069_lu_small_by_rufusthered-daoikp7.jpg

Paul Abbott

Michael, I don't think industrial scenes are ugly at all, I see them as very interesting places. Of course, there are some that have a heritage and most are very worthy of being documented.
It's a real shame about your initial image lacking sharpness (it's perspectives could do with being corrected too), but I think you should definitely go back and try again because this image is a good one.
Also, your second shot just leaves me wanting to see more of this place with it's iron-works and buildings up ahead.
Go back and document the hell out of it...I would. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,
Thanks Doug. It might have been a bit sharper had my dog not hurryied me along with our walk :) Here's a wider view showing the Jackknife Bascula Bridge that originally had two levels when built over 100 years.

Bascule.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael, I don't think industrial scenes are ugly at all, I see them as very interesting places. Of course, there are some that have a heritage and most are very worthy of being documented.
It's a real shame about your initial image lacking sharpness (it's perspectives could do with being corrected too), but I think you should definitely go back and try again because this image is a good one.
Also, your second shot just leaves me wanting to see more of this place with it's iron-works and buildings up ahead.
Go back and document the hell out of it...I would. :)

Hi Paul. I will go and shoot the first scene again but may have to wait awhile for such a still day, with snow predicted for the weekend. That photo was unplanned but the reflection too good not to shoot with my carry-everywhere camera.

There's a lot of worn-out or recycled industrial relics around here that I photo frequently. I'll show some more in the coming weeks.

By the way, I'm loving your landscapes of the Peak District that bring back memories of outings in my youth. We're visiting the UK next spring and plan to spend time around Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire. Maybe we can arrange a photo shoot. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

What is beautiful and what is ugly? I thought this industrial scene beautiful. But most people think such scenes ugly. What's that all about?

I find this beautiful at first glanc as it has eye-catching horizontal layers, two with a pleasant blue and one with intriguing detail. I personally would like more structure in the water. I only say that as you have already committed to redo the picture!

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Abbott

By the way, I'm loving your landscapes of the Peak District that bring back memories of outings in my youth. We're visiting the UK next spring and plan to spend time around Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire. Maybe we can arrange a photo shoot. Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for mentioning that, Mike.
In regards to meeting up I think it would be a great thing to do. I know a fair few places in the Peak District that would not disappoint and I think you'd do well to come along. Obviously, just let me know and we can sort something out, no problem.

I find this beautiful at first glanc as it has eye-catching horizontal layers, two with a pleasant blue and one with intriguing detail. I personally would like more structure in the water. I only say that as you have already committed to redo the picture!

Asher

I can't reshoot the original picture yet, Asher, because a combination of wind and current made ripples on the water. What I have done, though, is to reprocess the original file to crop more severely and sharpen the image. Sorry there's no more structure to the water but that's how it looked that day and the reason I took the picture. Cheers, Mike

industrial_reflections_by_tricky_trees-daoqk3b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I can't reshoot the original picture yet, Asher, because a combination of wind and current made ripples on the water. What I have done, though, is to reprocess the original file to crop more severely and sharpen the image. Sorry there's no more structure to the water but that's how it looked that day and the reason I took the picture. Cheers, Mike

industrial_reflections_by_tricky_trees-daoqk3b.jpg

Mike,

I like this build of the picture. The increased mass effect of the denser blue does much to balance and provide gravitas to the picture. It is now a more serious and bolder image!

Asher