• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Leading lines critical to success of the photograph.

Antonio Correia

I have been so impressed with the recent use of design skills in our photographs. So I take the step of focusing on some of the best examples. Here I repurpose from Antonio Correia's current thread on India.

Morning visit in Mumbai: Dhobi Ghat

"...Mumbai (/mʊmˈbaɪ/; also known as Bombay, the official name until 1995) is the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the most populous city in India and the ninth most populous agglomeration in the world, with an estimated city population of 18.4 million..."

More to come

i-mZDdmZQ-XL.jpg

i-wmpp22Q-XL.jpg

i-nvCsjf3-XL.jpg

I am impressed that innately, Antonio has leveraged the inherent converging lines in his chosen scenes to build strong images. So I thought this would be a good topic for us to consider. Ideas, responses and any words of wisdom to guide, inspire and educate us.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's another picture by Antonio Correia:

Young boy in the market

i-XXk6pjv-XL.jpg

Look how the spokes on the wheels strongly move the eyes back to the boy. Then the opposing diagonals from the left and right cross behind him. Confirming the location and stabilizing the structure of the image, we have parallel verticals behind him too.

BTW, in case someone might wonder about the partial figure at the left border, seemingly callously cut-off, let me add that this is a wonderful human addition as it adds an adult, likely the father of the child looking after him. At least, that is what we are allowed to think. This tiny gesture by the photographer is powerful. It is a good lesson to folk who might want to "clean up" or prefect a photograph of real life. Remember "perfect" is the emery of art.

It's that "crack that lets the light in", (Leonard Cohen quoted by Maggie Terlecki).

Asher