• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Abandoned Church in Wisconsin

As is the case in much of the Midwest United States, Twin Grove, once a prosperous little farming town, is now withering on the vine. The causes of rural decline are well known and, for the present time, remain beyond hope of recovery. This once proud little church silently watches the passage of the years with a cattle operation in the background.

original.jpg

Church in Twin Grove Wisconsin​

The years of neglect have left behind slats of wood where the paint is slowly fading and breaking off and the texture that is now there to me is quite beautiful. It also makes me curious about the wood added to where the front windows were and wonder if they broke, were they taken out and brought somewhere else.. do you know? Interesting place to photograph, that is for sure! :) Maggie

fahim mohammed

Nostalgic reminder of things past. The structure is but an entrance into the lives of those who lived, worked and died around these regions. And their families.

The years of neglect have left behind slats of wood where the paint is slowly fading and breaking off and the texture that is now there to me is quite beautiful. It also makes me curious about the wood added to where the front windows were and wonder if they broke, were they taken out and brought somewhere else.. do you know? Interesting place to photograph, that is for sure! :) Maggie

Excellent thoughts and a good question, Maggie. I wondered about the front windows as well but have no idea what happened. Sorry.

Nostalgic reminder of things past. The structure is but an entrance into the lives of those who lived, worked and died around these regions. And their families.

Very true, Fahim. About fifteen years ago I often drove past a very old church in Prairie Center, Illinois. It didn't have a fleck of paint on it and was falling apart in slow motion. Then one day it was simply gone; knocked down without ceremony and carted away. The nearby graveyard has tombstones dating back to the 1840s, so it was quite a shock to realize that a place with so much history had simply been swept away. Always intended to shoot some photos of the place, but never got around to it. Lesson learned...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

These remains are haunting yet still Holy, as they carry the prayers, hopes, solace and celebrations of a working community.

original.jpg

The great thing about using wood is that, ultimately, there is almost eventually nothing in debris that the winds, rains, rats, mice and insects can't handle; then the land is returned, unharmed!

This is what aboriginal hunter gathers have done for some 70,000 years!

Asher

Perceptive insights, Asher. Perhaps an unintended message of any place of worship created through the centuries is one of impermanence. Buildings rise up, live and breathe, and then slowly return to ground; a metaphor of life itself.

Tom,

These remains are haunting yet still Holy, as they carry the prayers, hopes, solace and celebrations of a working community.

original.jpg

The great thing about using wood is that, ultimately, there is almost eventually nothing in debris that the winds, rains, rats, mice and insects can't handle; then the land is returned, unharmed!

This is what aboriginal hunter gathers have done for some 70,000 years!

Asher