• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Golden Samantha

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

I've just finished working on this image. Again, lit and processed to acheive a painterly effect.

I often get picked up on the subject blurring into the background, so to confirm, this is done deliberately:

6826077329_11be86b342_z.jpg

Feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

Feedback is more than welcome.

Hi Matt,

Personally I would have preferred a more elevated main light. As it is now, there is hardly any light gradient on her left cheek and bridge of the nose, and too much light on her lower chin/neck, under the nose. That optically adds weight, which is less desired by most women.

As for the pose, I think that the head is turned a bit too much which results in too much white of the eyes showing. Combined with the lighting, it makes her right eye look relatively large. I do like the eye contact.

Just my personal observations, which is easier afterwards than during the shoot. Portraiture is difficult, but therefore very rewarding when it works out well.

Keep up the good work, you're building a nice series.

Cheers,
Bart

Matt Halstead

Hey Bart,

thanks for the constructive criticism. I have to agree, in particular respect the lighting on the neck, which i may burn a touch.

It's important that i get this image right as it is my fiance!

Cheers,

Ruben Alfu

Hi Matt,

I like how that painterly look is more transparent in this photo, it provides a beautiful aesthetic to an engaging portrait. The blurring in her shoulders is distracting IMO, looks more like an artifact than a complement to the rest of the photo.

Regards,

Ruben

fahim mohammed

Matt, I have looked at this beautiful lady, your fiancee, and the photograph of her.

I would convert it to bw.

The I would give it a subtle tonality on the darker side. The lighted window side of the face

I would burn slightly. I would let her right side inc. the shoulder to go dark. I would

create a mystery first with this image. Gentle fall off of the light. From her left to the right.

Then I would give an agressive glamor glow.

Just my thoughts.

When, btw, is the big day?

Matt Halstead

Thanks for all the very helpful feedback. Fahim, i like your idea so may have a play with a b & w conversion.

the big day is june 1st 2013!

John Wolf

Hi Matt,

I find the lighting, color, and texture very flattering. Her hair and eyes are beautiful and nicely rendered, and I like her neutral expression. Overall it's a soft, warm impression, which sounds like what you were after.

The two things I would change can't be corrected in post. One is that her head is turned a bit much, such that her pupils are in the corners of her eyes and the whites of her eyes occupy too much space. The other actually bothers me a little more; it's the skewed neckline of her shirt, which for me creates an imbalance and a sort of pull to the left, if that makes sense.

But these are probably both quibbles and overall I think it's a wonderful, natural portrait with post work that I imagine nicely expresses her nature.

John

Matt Halstead

Hi john,

Thanks for teh feedback. Upon reflection, I completely agree about the eyes and neckline. Admittedly it was a bit of an imprommptu shot, so i was rushing a bit, although I will deff pay more attention to the eyes and clothing next time!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys,

I've just finished working on this image. Again, lit and processed to acheive a painterly effect.

6826077329_11be86b342_z.jpg

Matt,

I do like the picture but wish it wasn't so processed. I don't understand the use of the word, Painterly" since it's devoid of any brush strokes. That's not some witticism on my part, I realy have no idea what painterly means. Why does this get to be called "painterly". To me it looks like a good photograph which has been selectively smooths and softened.

The degree of skin smoothing is a matter of taste. So I have no judgment, good or bad, as it's a matter of what both of you like. However, when it comes to the eyes, I think you might reconsider how the two eyes are presented so differently. How can here right eye be so brilliant and the other so soft and flat in relation to it?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Matt,

I find the lighting, color, and texture very flattering. Her hair and eyes are beautiful and nicely rendered, and I like her neutral expression. Overall it's a soft, warm impression, which sounds like what you were after.

The two things I would change can't be corrected in post. One is that her head is turned a bit much, such that her pupils are in the corners of her eyes and the whites of her eyes occupy too much space. The other actually bothers me a little more; it's the skewed neckline of her shirt, which for me creates an imbalance and a sort of pull to the left, if that makes sense.

But these are probably both quibbles and overall I think it's a wonderful, natural portrait with post work that I imagine nicely expresses her nature.

John
John has summarized my thoughts on this. I have been bothered by the skewed neckline which creates a very sloppy sensation and disturbs the balance imo. Also agreed on the eyes. This way, it looks as if she is giving you the "dramatic look" like this very famous chipmunk ;).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ha, that chipmunk is brilliant! I take the point exactly :D

Matt,

O.K., after this fun, what next? might you possibly give us two new versions.

1. Just processed enough, but no added style.

2. With your style

That would be enjoyable, but I'm happy anyway!

Asher

Matt Halstead

Matt,

O.K., after this fun, what next? might you possibly give us two new versions.

1. Just processed enough, but no added style.

2. With your style

That would be enjoyable, but I'm happy anyway!

Asher

Hi Asher, if I get time over the weekend I'll post a version with less PP.

Cheers