• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: The Con (ex) - Comments Welcome

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Just finished working on these two images.

I met the subject whilst outshooting in the city. He had an interesting look about him so I went over and made conversation. Much of the discussion centred on the fact that prison is too easy nowadays compared to when he spent time inside (thirty years ago).

Having never been detained at Her Majesty's pleasure I just agreed. He is probably right though!

7459094642_2626158f1b_c.jpg

7459091788_fcceb1f671_c.jpg

Any comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,

matt

www.matthewhalstead.com

Hi! Perhaps a little late to this thread, but since I just joined, I'm looking through images and saw that nobody had yet posted anything on this one.

I like both of your versions, but do find that they give your subject a different look, to me anyways. The black and white version seems like a harder individual as the contrast really brings forth this idea and his eye stare back at me quite harshly. The color version makes him look more tired and perhaps more human. The ruddiness of his skin gives me the impression he may not be in the best of health.

I do have a question though. Was the background dropped in after the fact? I am asking because I do notice the softness around the rim of this hair and then the texture in the background. If this is your natural background, my eye expects to see the the edges of his hair sharper. To me, that softness pulls my eye away from his grungy face.

All in all, a cool portrait and surely an interesting conversation. I am often quite shy to strike up a conversation with a stranger on the street that may look like life has not been too easy so I admire your obvious ease in doing so.
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys,

Just finished working on these two images.

I met the subject whilst outshooting in the city. He had an interesting look about him so I went over and made conversation. Much of the discussion centred on the fact that prison is too easy nowadays compared to when he spent time inside (thirty years ago).

Having never been detained at Her Majesty's pleasure I just agreed. He is probably right though!

7459094642_2626158f1b_c.jpg

7459091788_fcceb1f671_c.jpg

As usual, Matt, the pictures have your mark of being forged in a special artistic cauldron. The figures come out distinctly yours! There's a sense of history and grittiness.

The first picture shows vulnerability but the B&W, is as Rachel points out harder.

Does he have rosacea or is the red butterfly distribution rash on his cheeks just part of the painting effect you do?

Asher