• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: School in the Highlands

Jarmo Juntunen

This one did pretty well in a Travel photography contest here in Finland.

_img1280.jpg

Probably a repost but just needed to brag.. sorry. Shot in Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore, Scotland in June, 2011.

Charlotte Thompson

Jarmo

Amazing work. I love the color. Just so perfect! The blonde child is caught with a great eye!
What a precious expression- Well done!

C-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This one did pretty well in a Travel photography contest here in Finland.
Probably a repost but just needed to brag.. sorry. Shot in Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore, Scotland in June, 2011.

_img1280.jpg

This is the photography that I love! Memento, but it goes beyond your family to the family of man!

Asher

Jarmo,
This is such a sweet image. I love the blond girl's very blunt cut very straight hair and the other seems so incredibly focused on her slate.

Are they writing with pencils on the slate? and are those your daughters?

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you so much Maggie! This was a 30's school, so those were not pencils (not quite sure what they were, being a 70's kid myself). And yes, those are my girls :)

Robert Watcher

I absolutely love your picture. So much so in fact - that I thought that I would see how it looked with a bit of further processing using the a couple of the PS Actions in the Action Set that I provided for download on the forum the other day.

I know that everyone sees photographs differently - - - and so as before I am not saying that what I have done is better than your original - just broadening the possibilities in a visual form. Some people love the innocence of unprocessed images. Some like me enjoy the potential that can be exploited with a small amount of processing. Let me know how you feel.

This is your beautiful image after I have run some processing on it - with your original right under for comparison of the subtle changes that I feel draw the eye more to the front of the image and to the girls and what they are doing with their hands - as opposed to the brighter upper left side
13443571792018_school.jpg

_img1280.jpg

---------

I thought that you might value seeing the steps that I took to get to the finished portait:

The first step was applying my Amazing Details PS action to bring out extra grit and contrast in the wood desks and background elements. A layer mask on the Group Layer, wasused to take all of the effect off of the children as well as a lowered opacity brush was used to soften the effect on the background
13443563317764_school3.jpg

Next I duplicated the Amazing Details Group for more intensity - then played with the Opacity on both Groups to get a look that was visible - but not overly so
13443564166349_school4.jpg

Lastly was to run the Dodge and Burn Layer action - and use both a white brush at around 7% Flow to Dodge different areas, and a black brush at around 7% Flow to Burn different areas
13443565492945_school5.jpg

Rob

Jarmo Juntunen

Thanks Rob and sorry for the delayed answer! It's been a hectic week...

To use your own expression, I consider myself as one who enjoys an unprocessed, or maybe a low-processed picture. Having said that, I must add that I really like what you did with your software. The changes you made are very subtle and improve my image in the ways you described they would. I'll have a closer look and come back with more comments a bit later. Thanks!