• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Street Seller

fahim mohammed

p156433440-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Fahim,

As a long time observer of your work, I've come to appreciate the humanity in your mind that controls where and when you point your camera. Here, once again you succeeded in getting that right. I do have strong reservations on your exageration of detail. This breaks up the unity of the image into a patchwork of unrelated textures. With that, the strong materials you produce overrun the soul of the person you seek to reveal to us.

I don't like saying how your pictures should be presented. After all, they come from your minds values and nuanced preferences which must be preserved at all costs. However, some of these are overlaid perhaps with populist fashions of manipulation which go in the opposite direction of where, I believe, your heart is.

Let me know how wrong I am! If this was a picture of a building or tree, then, of course, go ahead with the filters. To me at least, with people, this post processing undoes the magic of your empathy for what moves you so much.

Now the storm!!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Fahim,

As a long time observer of your work, I've come to appreciate the humanity in your mind that controls where and when you point your camera. Here, once again you succeeded in getting that right. I do have strong reservations on your exageration of detail. This breaks up the unity of the image into a patchwork of unrelated textures. With that, the strong materials you produce overrun the soul of the person you seek to reveal to us.

I don't like saying how your pictures should be presented. After all, they come from your minds values and nuanced preferences which must be preserved at all costs. However, some of these are overlaid perhaps with populist fashions of manipulation which go in the opposite direction of where, I believe, your heart is.

Let me know how wrong I am! If this was a picture of a building or tree, then, of course, go ahead with the filters. To me at least, with people, this post processing undoes the magic of your empathy for what moves you so much.

Now the storm!!

Asher

I would agree with Asher on this one Fahim. You have a compelling image here, but in particular the oversharpening makes it a difficult image to enjoy viewing. I feel like you have dropped a background in behind the woman (the background image doesn't seem to fit, especially under her left arm) which would then take extra carae when resizing for the web.

As I noticed in one of your other images along with this one - there seems to be confusion with the smoothing that goes on with the skin (I presume noise reduction software) and then the attempts to accentuate the details as you have.

As for the image itself, I'm having a hard time getting the context of why she has the money in her hand and wonder if a lower slightly more frontal view would have given that as well as provided a better view of her face than the high perspective (even a touch of her other eye and shooting from a lower angle would have aided that). But then again if you were quickly passing by, you may not have been able to adjust those things.

Sorry - this isn't really a critique - just wondering your thought process with this particular shot - - - the taking and the processing?

Rob

fahim mohammed

Asher, Robert.

I appreciate the time taken to bring me back on track. Grateful to you guys.
The only issue I take is with sharpening. I have put this image through 2/3 layers of softening!!

My ZF 100/2 Makro must be doing its job!!

I sincerely appreciate your advice. Storms? I try to steer clear of them.

Best regards.

Robert Watcher

Thanks for the explanation Fahim. I respect that. The oversharpening I am referring to is the white harsh lines surrounding the subject. I think you will notice what I am referring to. That will have nothing to do with your awesome lens - - - but will be a result of sharpening in processing I suspect. It is something that isn't really noticable in these additional shots.

Rob

fahim mohammed

Thanks for the explanation Fahim. I respect that. The oversharpening I am referring to is the white harsh lines surrounding the subject. I think you will notice what I am referring to. That will have nothing to do with your awesome lens - - - but will be a result of sharpening in processing I suspect. It is something that isn't really noticable in these additional shots.

Rob

Robert, thanks. I have to confess that many have rightfully taken me to task for oversharpening ( at times ) and over-contrast. I have tried to modify my pp accordingly ( not always though! )

Kindest regards.

Robert Watcher

There are times for a context to be provided, I agree. Most times, for me, there is no need.

p47455269-5.jpg

That is true. The only thing that I feel with the first image you posted, is that even though her hands are close to the edge of the frame and so you don't tend to focus on them - there is money in her hands - and so it begs an answer as to why it is there if it were included. So in trying to find a point of interest in the frame, that is where I headed. The viewpoint of the woman is such that it is hard to get a sense of her with the high camera angle and extreme profile (only in my view). But - don't get me wrong, I have found many "gems" in the images that you have posted. This shot adds to the list.

Rob

fahim mohammed

That is true. The only thing that I feel with the first image you posted, is that even though her hands are close to the edge of the frame and so you don't tend to focus on them - there is money in her hands - and so it begs an answer as to why it is there if it were included. So in trying to find a point of interest in the frame, that is where I headed. The viewpoint of the woman is such that it is hard to get a sense of her with the high camera angle and extreme profile (only in my view). But - don't get me wrong, I have found many "gems" in the images that you have posted. This shot adds to the list.

Rob

Robert, I welcome any and all comments, as in this instance, from you and Asher. They are given in sincerity and I appreciate it. We all have the need to learn.

Thank you for giving me of your time.

Best regards.