• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

old man

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

I met him in the streets of Jerusalem, he begged for some cents, I gave him some bucks and he allowed me to take a picture of him

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

I met him in the streets of Jerusalem, he begged for some cents, I gave him some bucks and he allowed me to take a picture of him

Wolfgang,

It's surprising that so many of the ultra-orthodox Haredim, (some of who do not even recognize the State of Israel, as by rights we should have waited until the Meshiach, (Messiah) finally arrives.....and that is not Jesus!), are so humble, devoted to studying the Torah and often so poor. Most men study all day and the wife goes to work, probably as a teacher or social worker or doctor's aide.

It's two sides of a coin. In Jerusalem we have learned men and their families raised in poverty and then in Tel Aviv, there are actually Jewish prostitutes, to me both a tragedy. But there are also Jewish policemen, garbage collectors, painters, programmers, entrepreneurs,engineers, and of course doctors and lawyers too. But in the orthodox communities, there are far less choices. For some few, there's a family business, perhaps for example, a citrus farm, growing the finely aromatic "etrog" which is demand for the feast of Tabernacles, as the etrog is one of the 4 plants that are used together and held with a palm frond, myrtle and leafy willow twigs and shaken up and down, to the left and to the right and to all four corners of the universe!

To me it's a tragedy that societies all over the world seem to generate the most diverse types, even the classes that suffer especially, the poor and the prostitute!

So it's wonderful that when he asked for some cents, you gave him dollars. This will not be used for anything but bread.

Good job and great picture.

Asher