• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Surrealist representation! Anything goes!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
dsc02496document name_dramatic Apple noir copy 2.jpg

Asher Kelman: Apple Power #1

San Francisco July 2015

Leica M Summilux 50mm 1.4

Sony A7R

No Apple was wasted during this exercise!

Get unreal!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for stopping by, Wolfgang and Andy!

I hope folk share some of their escapes, odd and untoward views of "reality"!

Asher

Great idea, Asher. Your photo is on target, and it would be fascinating to travel forward two or three decades of time to see if viewers still understood what was meant by the title, "Apple Power".

I was a big fan of Salvador Dali as a young adult, but gradually lost interest in surrealism for some reason. Has anyone here read his 1944 book, "Hidden Faces"?

Anyway, this photo of a deer antler may not quite fit the topic, but it's still sort of weird.

original.jpg

Floodplain Still Life​

Asher Kelman

I met Abby at a concert! She's adorable!

DSC07240.jpg

Asher Kelman: Abby Jazz Evening

Los Angeles 2015

Leica M Summilux 50mm Sony A7R

Asher Kelman

OK - I'll bite.

Repost - sort of...

Zug

Michael,

I appreciate the great idea and pains you took to get this picture. I read somewhere that a gun was seen in the hand of a woman relfected in a picture of the murder scene. Could be that I made that up but now memory fuses what I imagine and the truth in creative stuff like that. I both want to think I thought of it and also that it did happen!

What I like is that it uses the eye as a side mirror in a car. Fabulous!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, this was done ages ago without any purpose at all but to experiment Photoshop.

I had no inspiration.

It came out as I was working on it.

Asher Kelman

Golden Ball

Immediately the globe provides us thoughts of the moon, an eye and a bathysphere for deeps exploration!

So our minds have a lot of explaining to do, setting of a cascade of memory library look up for meaning and correlations. So musing on this will be entertaining as the weights and preferences given to out mind by that day or previous weeks recent experiences will help push out imagination and quasi rational "fuzzy search" to decode your picture.

So this is an excellently surreal image as you both force and allow us to wander freely in the "exploratorium you have created and shared with us.

Bravo!

A really fabulous concept and execution!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi

Wolfgang!

Connected

Well Wolfgang, you are far more strict here. The link is so strong a concept that it does have a much narrower set of paths you open for us.

Doesn't it appear so definitive and unambiguous, but like Magritte's "Ce' Ne's Pas One Pipe", it is only a basis for us to be challenged to muse and get lost in endless possibilities.

So in practice, this simple and obvious subject of the photograph is far more rich. It, in fact, when our brains look at the implications of the photograph as if it was a statement of speech, it is transformed to vast and open set of related and even contradictory territories. So, in the end, here are also a vast array of derivative families of concepts related to this picture of what's so obviously single humble uncomplicated common and inexpensive closed latch!

• security
  • bondage
  • freedom
  • dependency
  • imprisonment
  • fixed thinking
  • memes
  • conformity
  • silence
  • secrecy
  • loyalty
  • deceit

So while this is so different from the floating globe in your first offering and far more stringent, all language is based on metaphor, each word and even such seemingly unloaded terms like "near", "far", "and" and "but"are all metaphors. So we are constantly attempting to decode language of pictures too, as that's how we communicate, by decoding!

Asher

This is something I did quite a few years ago. I may have already shared it here, not sure. I may have some more, but will have to dig a bit.

innocence1.jpg