• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear and Gadgets: Questions on choice of the tool for the job and the lke! Revolutionary new camera features

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What advances in photography are the most significant to you?

How radically important are any special features such as, but not limited to:-

1. image stabilization,
  2. Twin lens reflex
  3. Optical view finder aligned with film plane
  4. Coated lenses
  5. Rangefinder
  6. Phase v contrast autofocus
  7. Dual pixel autofocus
  8. Mirrorless with electronic viewfinder or screen
  9. Touch screens for menu
  10. Touch screen for autofocus
  11. Weatherproofing
  12. Weight and size
  13. Other feature

...and what feature is almost miraculous to you and fabulous and aporeciatedctobthr nth?

Asher

Asher Kelman

For me, the two most amazing new features:

1. IBIS with non system lenses! The ability to mount a vintage Canon 600mm FD lens on a Sony A7RII or A7RIII camera and have image stabilization!

2. AF at F 11.0 with the Canon R dual pixel camera! This allows a 100-400 lens with a x2 extender to have autofocus, hand held at f 11.0, bringing ultra telephoto photography to us with ordinary lens prices! This is the most significant, amazing and fabulous advance of any new camera in a long time!

Asher

James Lemon

image stabilization

Mirrorless with electronic viewfinder or screen

Touch screens for menu

Weatherproofing

Weight and size

Must have a view finder a screen works only under certain conditions .

fahim mohammed

For consumer, as opposed to scientific, defense, applications the tech has reached a point where improvements are more evolutionary than revolutionary, currently.

In addition to James’ s list..

ILC.
WYSIWYG, as accurate as possible.
High iso.
No blackouts between continuous bursts.
Live RGB histogram.
Highly accurate focus tracking.
Very accurate manual focus peaking aids.
Accurate face/eye detect.
Zebra indications.
Video Plus stills.

Ergonomics.
A comprehensive native lens lineup without breaking the bank or the back.
Availability of small, light, wr, primes n zooms. Along with option of not back breaking top of the line
fast lenses.
Double card slots with at least uhc ii ratings.
Audio jack.
Video out jack.
Video recording to internal card or external device with uninterrupted auto switch over to card or device.
USB charging.
Long lasting battery life without an external grip.
Tilt n swivel screen.
A good simple fill flash.

Weight with a f1.4 50mm ( equivalent ) prime not exceeding 700 grams.

Above are ‘ the bear necessities ‘ for me.

fahim mohammed

None.

The closest currently is the Fuji XH-1, that I own and have tested.

Push came to shove..
The Fuji XT-3. Since I recently bought a gitzo traveler series tripod n an arca-Swiss P0 ball head.
Fits in my carry-on. Along with 3 primes ( the XH-1) ,2 jeans, 3 shirts, 2 underclothing, n my medicines
And battery charger..

A small designer back pack, for passport, cc, cash, 2 fones, an iPad, and a fone/iPad battery charge pack.

I carried just this set-up to SE ASIA for 3 weeks. I returned less than a week ago.

So, what would be your 4 top choices!

Asher

Asher Kelman

None.

The closest currently is the Fuji XH-1, that I own and have tested.

Push came to shove..
The Fuji XT-3. Since I recently bought a gitzo traveler series tripod n an arca-Swiss P0 ball head.
Fits in my carry-on. Along with 3 primes ( the XH-1) ,2 jeans, 3 shirts, 2 underclothing, n my medicines
And battery charger..

A small designer back pack, for passport, cc, cash, 2 fones, an iPad, and a fone/iPad battery charge pack.

I carried just this set-up to SE ASIA for 3 weeks. I returned less than a week ago.

Fahim,

So where do these Fuji cameras come short?

On very important qualifying piece of news is the availability of artificial intelligence to create natural textures so that modest sensors can deliver resolutions far above their punching class. The new Topaz Filter reviews by Mike Bedford, seems to make arguments for packing more pixels somewhat mute.

In fact, I am now going to redevelop 8MP Cano 1DII pictures of 10 years ago and see if I can get practical improvements in my favorite portrait shots for large prints.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher,

The most obvious one is the battery life. They have to ( could have?) improve this.
Ergonomics of the XT-3 ( grip ), and the lack of a tilt n swivel screen.

The other improvements esp. in the processor n sensor are bringing it very near to my list of desirables in a MILC system.

As to AI, Apple has been using it ( as reported ) in its photo apps. Certain Third party apps for the IPhone are implementing have been implementing AI algorithms for focus, dof renderings for some time.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

The most obvious one is the battery life. They have to ( could have?) improve this.
Ergonomics of the XT-3 ( grip ), and the lack of a tilt n swivel screen.

The other improvements esp. in the processor n sensor are bringing it very near to my list of desirables in a MILC system.

As to AI, Apple has been using it ( as reported ) in its photo apps. Certain Third party apps for the IPhone are implementing have been implementing AI algorithms for focus, dof renderings for some time.

Thanks, Fahim

Your input of desirable features is much appreciated as you have years of experience with cameras that I have never even held in my hands!

To that point of the Fuji XT that you like, I discovered that Guy Tal, in his well regarded photography workshops, invites the attendees to come with just that camera, (........although I expect that, for the $1500 fee, you could bring a pinhole camera and be accepted)! I wonder what the minimum aperture is for AF on the XT-3 as this would be attractive for me, even with the fixed mirror.

I switched to a Fuji GFX 50S for Studio, street and landscape. It does have a wonderful swivel screen. I am considering a “companion”, for super-telephoto, for wildlife.

........One remarkable choice, (for her to carry, LOL), would be the new Canon R series body with an added Sigma 100-400 Is and a 2X lens: the Canon dual-pixel phase detection will focus up to f11 for wildlife. That means one can reach all the way to 800mm into the trees or across the Serengeti, (for about $2500 in new lens expense).

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher,

I forgot to mention, one of the most if not the most important criteria in any camera system for me, the
price to get a suitable system.

On a retired pension, I have to watch my pennies and nickels. And at my age, my muscle memory demands utmost attention.

If one is already invested in a system, switching systems can be very expensive.

But if one is just getting into MILC, the Fuji XT-3 and a few Fujinon lenses, or just the 18-55 zoom, is a very difficult proposition to ignore. btw..the kit 18-55 lens is the best kit lens I have put on any camera!

I have realized that the 35mm FF is not necessary for what I photograph ( for Shallow dof there are Fujinon lenses..I have a few ), but then the size weight benefit is lost for me.

A sweet compromise for me between the MFT and the 35mm FF is Fuji.

My XPRO-2 with a 14/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 is small, excellent image quality, and light.
The XT-3 with these three lenses would be even smaller, and lighter ( got to check this ?)

We live in interesting times, and all camera innovations count for zilch, if one does not have the photographic vision. Technical innovation and human creativity should not be confused.

Jerome Marot

What advances in photography are the most significant to you?

How radically important are any special features such as, but not limited to:-

I'll use your list to answer what features are important for me:

1. Image stabilization
    Definitely important. I discovered that feature with the Minolta 5D and it allowed low light pictures which had been impossible before. I loved it on the Sony A900, especially with f/1.4 lenses. I waited for the A7 series to include sensor base stabilisation before taking the plunge. I even changed my phone for a model with that feature.
  2. Twin lens reflex
    I don't understand. Do you mean the Rolleiflex?
  3. Optical view finder aligned with film plane
    I don't understand.
  4. Coated lenses
    Well: yes. It was a revolution in the 60s and made zoom lenses possible. You seem to mix modern features with ones from half a century ago...
  5. Rangefinder
    Only had one of these briefly. Never liked it that much
  6. Phase v contrast autofocus
    Not sure that the difference is essential. Contrast autofocus is slower, and extremely slow with lenses not designed for it, but it worked on small P&S cameras just fine.
  7. Dual pixel autofocus
    That means "phase AF on the sensor", so see the answer above.
  8. Mirrorless with electronic viewfinder or screen
    I actually hate EVF, even if I use them reluctantly.
  9. Touch screens for menu
    Not really useful, I think.
  10. Touch screen for autofocus
    I used that on a video camera. Less so on a photo camera.
  11. Weatherproofing
    All cameras are weatherproof to some extent.
  12. Weight and size
    That counts. Or I take just one lens, then any camera is manageable.
  13. Other feature
    Probably yes.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

Thanks for your extensive remarks!

I'll use your list to answer what features are important for me:

1. Image stabilization
    Definitely important. I discovered that feature with the Minolta 5D and it allowed low light pictures which had been impossible before. I loved it on the Sony A900, especially with f/1.4 lenses. I waited for the A7 series to include sensor base stabilisation before taking the plunge. I even changed my phone for a model with that feature.

1. For me, that meant I now could use a telephoto lens on my film camera at the then “fast” ASA of 400 and not get blurry images.

[*]Twin lens reflex
    I don't understand. Do you mean the Rolleiflex?

...and the Mamiya C330 and the like. These were the “Gold Standard” for accurate focusing and framing until the reflect mirror of Pentax and Hasselblad turned the photographic world upside down.

[*]Optical view finder “aligned” with film plane
    I don't understand.
    Either by twin reflex lenses or by the reflect mirror.

[*]Coated lenses
    Well: yes. It was a revolution in the 60s and made zoom lenses possible. You seem to mix modern features with ones from half a century ago...
    Flare was such an issue with early box camera and I used to think, growing up, that it was simply part of the risks of the hobby!

[*]Rangefinder
    Only had one of these briefly. Never liked it that much
    , even when present, I mostly used zone focusing and noted the range of focus for my chosen f stop.

Especially for shooting on the streets in Nigeria of townsxand villages, I never lifted the camera to my eye, as that drew hostile attention. Rather I had a method of stopping my stride with my camera against my hip and the camera pointed at the subject and the shot was taken in an instant with me pointedly looking elsewhere as a distraction. So a rangefinder had little use for me. I tried it on a Mamiya MF 6x7 and it seemed awkward to my hands. A Leica user might have found it sweet!

Yes, I look far back in these advances as I have witnessed them altering our approaches to photography!

I will address your further comments shortly!

Thanks,

Asher

Until earlier this year, the last camera to really blow me away was the 5DmkII. I had just gotten into photography and was really happy with my 40D until I saw what that thing was capable of. Every other upgrade and new technology since then has been nice, but nothing that really got me excited. About 8 months ago, I saw the eye-tracking AF on the a7RIII in action, and I was instantly sold. I've shot primarily with the 5 and 1 series Canon cameras for the past decade, and I've never had a razor sharp in-focus rate as high as with the a7RIII.