• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Website organization?

Peter Mendelson

I wasn't sure which forum this question could go in, so I placed it here since putting images on the web is often the last step of my Raw workflow ;).

I am using a new website called zenfolio.com (and have galleries on Smugmug as well), and am struggling with organizing my photos into different categories. In the past, I have had "Travel" galleries, "Family" galleries, and "Other" galleries, but am looking for better organization. I would like categories like "Architecture," "City," "Nature," "People," etc., but often find that one photo could go in more than one category (e.g. photos of buildings in the city could go in "City" or "Architecture").

Does anyone have any tips or can you point to any sites that seem to have things organized in a complete or interesting way?

Thanks!

Peter

Don Lashier

Hi Peter,

Well, my site is no model of organization either, but the gallery system I use lets you cross-link images so that they show up in more than one category. You might check if either of the systems you use permits this. Also another feature which I don't use :) is the ability to enter a keyword list and turn on search. This can help folks who have a particular interest find stuff that may relate to more than one category.

- DL