• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

James Lemon

i-XRs7g8P-L.jpg

Hanging out with Asher​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I really appreciated the opportunity to meet you. You're a fine gentleman! I have been intrigued by your camera discipline - one camera Leica Monochrom and one lens, the Summilux 50 ASPH! The idea of one lens-one camera fits in well with my background, as that's all I used for decades. Only with the move from the Pentax Spotmatic to a Canon Eos system did I get other lenses and then it was just two, the 50mm 1.4 and the 300mm 2.8L original with no IS!

The great advantage of one-lens-one camera is that it becomes an extension of one's body with the advantage that framing expectations are always met.

Your little black Leica weighs at least double my A7R but the results of working without Bayer interpolation are simply fabulous. Unlike, the Canon and Sony cameras, there seems to be little to no reserve in Raw processing of highlights. It's WYSWYG in the first look at the file in ACR CC 2014. Could be that Capture One might get more out of it. Still, the tone dread is fabulous. Looking forward to more Leica DNG files to play with!

Thanks for cutting out time for me. Your visit is a highlight for me of 2014!

Asher

Robert Watcher

It's amusing when you have a preconceived idea of what someone looks like, when your only communication over a period of time is verbal or in our case. written. Not at all what I expected - but good to see.

Asher Kelman

It's amusing when you have a preconceived idea of what someone looks like, when your only communication over a period of time is verbal or in our case. written. Not at all what I expected - but good to see.

What on earth did you expect, Robert, a handsome sculpted guy from Guess Jeans, LOL?

Asher

Robert Watcher

What on earth did you expect, Robert, a handsome sculpted guy from Guess Jeans, LOL?

Asher

You figured me out. ?

At first I did a Google Search based on the things I know about you - "good looking middle aged jewish doctor" and this is what I was provided with:

Copy_image(1).jpg

NOT MUCH HELP

So I altered my search to a much more useful "good looking mid aged professional man" and the results looked more realistic than Dr. Ruth:

Copy_image.jpg

I figured you must be somewhare in the range of this LAST SEARCH.

--------

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Everything I expected and more.
A left eyed photographer by the looks. A 'man's' grip with the right hand and a surgeons touch with the left. Balding and less than graceful about it, as a seaman might look, or a homeless bloke. Camera: small and discrete enough to be noticed by those who know value, as a woman might wear a fine diamond. Its what I call the 'look poor but not cheap' fashion, very well placed in BH. Diopter adjusted for no glasses. No camera strap? Very daring. A rather large ear lobe! I hope the other one is a match. The smile says: "I hope James gets this shot. I feel very good about this look. Or is it a grimace? "If Dinning sees this he's bound to say something smart-arse and sarcastic".
Thanks for sharing the mystery man with us, James.

Asher Kelman

Everything I expected and more.
A left eyed photographer by the looks. A 'man's' grip with the right hand and a surgeons touch with the left. Balding and less than graceful about it, as a seaman might look, or a homeless bloke. Camera: small and discrete enough to be noticed by those who know value, as a woman might wear a fine diamond. Its what I call the 'look poor but not cheap' fashion, very well placed in BH. Diopter adjusted for no glasses. No camera strap? Very daring. A rather large ear lobe! I hope the other one is a match. The smile says: "I hope James gets this shot. I feel very good about this look. Or is it a grimace? "If Dinning sees this he's bound to say something smart-arse and sarcastic".
Thanks for sharing the mystery man with us, James.

Well, Tom, the grip is a Projecting oversize L Bracket designed for a Canon 5D.

A7R_with L Bracket.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sony A7R with 55mm Sony-Zeiss 1.8 lens

Entire ear size increases throughout life for left handed Jewish Doctors ........and everyone else!

Why would one need a camera strap with a grip?

Asher

...and , as a matter of fact, I had no idea James was doing anything but photographing exactly what we had agreed was so interesting. My smile is due to happiness - brisk clean morning air from the pacific ocean, a wonderful park and great company. But I generally am just as happy all day, LOL!

James Lemon

I really appreciated the opportunity to meet you. You're a fine gentleman! I have been intrigued by your camera discipline - one camera Leica Monochrom and one lens, the Summilux 50 ASPH! The idea of one lens-one camera fits in well with my background, as that's all I used for decades. Only with the move from the Pentax Spotmatic to a Canon Eos system did I get other lenses and then it was just two, the 50mm 1.4 and the 300mm 2.8L original with no IS!

The great advantage of one-lens-one camera is that it becomes an extension of one's body with the advantage that framing expectations are always met.

Your little black Leica weighs at least double my A7R but the results of working without Bayer interpolation are simply fabulous. Unlike, the Canon and Sony cameras, there seems to be little to no reserve in Raw processing of highlights. It's WYSWYG in the first look at the file in ACR CC 2014. Could be that Capture One might get more out of it. Still, the tone dread is fabulous. Looking forward to more Leica DNG files to play with!

Thanks for cutting out time for me. Your visit is a highlight for me of 2014!

Asher

Hi Asher

It was great to have this visit and thanks for the nice complement! My system is a simple system without the distractions. It does have its advantages but also some liabilities considering it is a rangefinder with a single focus patch in the middle. The camera body does not have anything like auto focus or focus peaking. An inexpensive Sony 6000 has such advantageous features and many users of these cameras do use Leica glass on Sony cameras making it a nice combination. Color photography is a much more involved process especially if one is a PC user and requires much more time to do well.

Best, regards
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

A rare, but not my first look, at Asher Kelman M.D. :)

Unfortunately, I tend not to hang out with old males with all white hair on the top.
Puts me at a disadvantage :)

Well, I don't know. Asher seems to do pretty well as a "chick magnet."

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

On all my cameras larger than "pocket size", I usually keep a wrist strap.

But if I am going to be in a situation where I might need both hands (as, for example, "to work a cafeteria line"), I will put a neck strap on as well.

Best regards,

Doug

Rachel McLain

Hey, nice to see what Asher looks like! And lucky James to get to hang out with him!

I wish I had more photographers around here who were willing to crawl through the grass with me, but alas most are landscape photogs and they look at me like I'm nuts. (Plus they frequently tell me I can't shoot macros the way I do--which amuses me greatly.)

Great shot!

Rach

Asher Kelman

Hey, nice to see what Asher looks like! And lucky James to get to hang out with him!

I wish I had more photographers around here who were willing to crawl through the grass with me, but alas most are landscape photogs and they look at me like I'm nuts. (Plus they frequently tell me I can't shoot macros the way I do--which amuses me greatly.)

Great shot!

Rach

I'd crawl through the undergrowth with you, for sure! Folk are stunned when I shoot from the ground to get the view I want and can't understand why I don't give a whit about my pants and shirt getting muddy.

I assume you have, like Mike Spinak, an affinity for locating things like wild plants and flowers, so there would be something worth all the effort! He used to walk through the forrest barefooot until he got bitten and developed Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and could have died if not for the picture of the rash on OPF and us realizing he was on the wrong antibiotic, LOL. He had 2 days to live, so there was enough time for the rescue antibiotic to kick in! Some safety tips for nature photography here

Asher

Rachel McLain

It's a deal, Asher! Next time you're in Oregon or I'm in the LA area... :)

I am very careful about where I put hands and feet when out in nature. :) Sometimes, though, I think someone would have some fun making photos of the odd positions I get in to get my shot. (I know you all can probably understand that, but I have had nonphotographers get quite a laugh at my expense!)

Yay for OPF saving Mike from death! That's pretty cool!

Rach

I'd crawl through the undergrowth with you, for sure! Folk are stunned when I shoot from the ground to get the view I want and can't understand why I don't give a whit about my pants and shirt getting muddy

I assume you have, like Mike Spinak, an affinity for locating things like wild plants and flowers, so there would be something worth all the effort! He used to walk through the forrest barefooot until he got bitten and developed Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and could have died if not for the picture of the rash on OPF and us realizing he was on the wrong antibiotic, LOL. He had 2 days to live, so there was enough time for the rescue antibiotic to kick in! Some safety tips for nature photography here

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I realize that this is technically not the best portrait but it is one I cherish.
@Asher: please remove it if it trespasses on your privacy. :)

e04048.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman

Well, Cem, I believe I have more hair now! I have never seen myself from that angle. Looks so strange!

Anyway, I'm a happy grandfather and proud to have you guys as friends!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I realize that this is technically not the best portrait but it is one I cherish.
@Asher: please remove it if it trespasses on your privacy. :)

e04048.jpg

Asher Kelman
That is just wonderful! It shows Asher as I like to think of him, our Rebbe Asher.

I see that Asher says he has more hair now. Perhaps a result in his membership in the Hair Club for Left-handed Jewish Physicians.

And maybe grandfatherhood has been beneficial in that regard.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug