Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old July 27th, 2016, 12:33 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

This has a lot of mood, Wolfgang. It appears undisturbed by man. Is this in a cultivated garden or wild?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; July 27th, 2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:23 AM

Hi Asher

that's wild, nearby the house we live in.
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Beautiful and quite special. Keep your eyes peeled for winged visitors!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:29 PM

The fly
It's his world and we are just living in it.
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Newman View Post

The fly
Exactly! This fellow has been around for a while longer than us! What's incredible is that the code that makes up the switches for the eyes is so efficient that it is used by mice and humans too!

So James, it turns out that we are just variations in a production line!

Asher

Old July 30th, 2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I did not recognize this was my picture! I also now disown my previous opinion that one should have the "right camera for the job" and ignore one's family in the process. I am reminded of the song, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with!"

Asher
Wow, this is just so lovely!

not sure why the image didn't come along, but I see that it is not included in the quote.. it's the route that people take to job near Santa Monica Boulevard! :-) Maggie
Old August 7th, 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Newman View Post

The fly
Wow, AMAZING!!
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:42 AM

My cell phone is always with me and, as the saying goes; the best camera is the one you have with you.
In my case, a Samsung Galaxy S5

The Lobby

Truckies at Work

Old August 31st, 2016, 12:48 PM

In a church (Galaxy S5):

Best regards,
Michael
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
In a church (Galaxy S5):

Best regards,
Michael
So rich, Michael! Do you ever stitch to get the rest of the grand scene above us?

Asher

Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
So rich, Michael! Do you ever stitch to get the rest of the grand scene above us?
Thanks, but I don't have anything from the ceiling. This was just to see what is possible.

The Oktoberfest this year had a rainy start (taken with LG G5):

Best regards,
Michael
Old October 6th, 2016, 01:30 PM

Another night shot using the LG G5:

Best regards,
Michael
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Carrying on with the rainy Oktoberfest theme...

Best regards,
Michael
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Carrying on with the rainy Oktoberfest theme...

Michael,

Thanks for bringing to us these celebratory pictures and reviving happy memories!

I like the Octoberfest celebrations. I have enjoyed meeting such fabulous people in the beer gardens! These are really such social and friendly occasions. There seemed to be a total absence of rowdy or rough behavior.

(I'd hate to think of the disorder that could occur if English football fans, winners or losers would arrive!!)

Asher

Old December 29th, 2016, 04:52 AM

Bump for wonderment!

The pictures here are so vivid, rich and diverse.

Asher

Old December 30th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Film Noir theme with a smartphone.

Best regards,
Michael
Old December 30th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Wow just amazing. And I remember the New Yorker cartoon from the early nineties showing a man walking down Fifth Avenue speaking into a phone: "Hold on. I think I just took another picture of my ear".
Old November 18th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Best regards,
Michael

A lot of men are apologizing! Me too. I am so sorry to have missed this gem from 2016! I must have been sleeping!

Michael,

Dark street lit enough by islands of light still allows one to walk and meditate and not feel one. is on a sports field at a night game.

Asher

Old November 18th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Best regards,
Michael

A lot of men are apologizing! Me too. I am so sorry to have missed this gem from 2016! I must have been sleeping!

Michael,

Dark street lit enough by islands of light still allows one to walk and meditate and not feel one. is on a sports field at a night game. The lights are bright enough to bring joy and celebration but do not overwhelm the mood of Christmas as a festival for not only family, friends and getting together, but also of some aspects of "Silent Night". If. one stops, one can hear a choir.

Asher

Old November 18th, 2017, 05:12 PM

Cell phones continue to improve, but I am somewhat out of date with the iphone 6+. I forget what that extra + brought, but altogether, I hardly need to have a dedicated camera.

Probably I should buy a highly compact Sony with that 50mm lens and the sensor from the A7RII.

In the meanwhile this is a autumn shot of the cones from the magnolia tree next door. To my joy, one I collected for its interesting shape, gradually dried and then then the thing started to split all over and the brightest glossy red seeds started to be extruded!

So I put it on my grand piano and photographed it with the iPhone and felt satisfied!

Asher Kelman: Magnolia Seed Cone on Grand Piano

iphone 6 Topaz filters blended in Photoshop CC 2017

Enjoy!

Asher

Old November 19th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Cell phones continue to improve, but I am somewhat out of date with the iphone 6+. I forget what that extra + brought, but altogether, I hardly need to have a dedicated camera.

Probably I should buy a highly compact Sony with that 50mm lens and the sensor from the A7RII.

In the meanwhile this is a autumn shot of the cones from the magnolia tree next door. To my joy, one I collected for its interesting shape, gradually dried and then then the thing started to split all over and the brightest glossy red seeds started to be extruded!

So I put it on my grand piano and photographed it with the iPhone and felt satisfied!

Asher Kelman: Magnolia Seed Cone on Grand Piano

iphone 6 Topaz filters blended in Photoshop CC 2017

Enjoy!

Asher
Very nice nature morte Asher!
But the bg disturbs me…
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:28 AM
Administrator/Moderator

I find that iPhone (my latest is a 7) does great jobs (pun intended) when there's a lot of light, in low light there are so so…
Is sky the limit?

Old November 19th, 2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
I find that iPhone (my latest is a 7) does great jobs (pun intended) when there's a lot of light, in low light there are so so…
Is sky the limit?

But the goldfish swimming are beautiful!

Asher

Old November 19th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Nicolas,

As you know, no cameras, until now, have had behind them the immense wealth of companies like Apple and LG who set the pace with markets in the tens of millions.

The research budget and tecnicological process to reinvent is driven to beat the offerings to an already addicted public.

Until recently, cameras were only "always" updated by real enthusiasts. Professionals made money with their already sufficient gear until repair was no longer worthwhile. Everyone Else, if they had a camera, it was likely already loaded with a roll of partially exposed film, that could sit for months without activity.

Today the smart mobile phone, (with instant "selfies" and pictures of homes or furniture that one might buy), are used many, many times a day. We even deposit checks using the camera. So this camera is integrated into our way of life.

We treat the mobile phone as an integral part of our sensory system so, essentially, we're addicted and Apple and the rest feeds us greater and greater potency of our new "must-have" eyes, ears and memory!

So the new market will be for attachments to the mobile phone and regular cameras will be pushed to reinvent too or vanish!

Asher

Old November 19th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Nicolas,

As you know, no cameras, until now, have had behind them the immense wealth of companies like Apple and LG who set the pace with markets in the tens of millions.

The research budget and tecnicological process to reinvent is driven to beat the offerings to an already addicted public.

Until recently, cameras were only "always" updated by real enthusiasts. Professionals made money with their already sufficient gear until repair was no longer worthwhile. Everyone Else, if they had a camera, it was likely already loaded with a roll of partially exposed film, that could sit for months without activity.

Today the smart mobile phone, (with instant "selfies" and pictures of homes or furniture that one might buy), are used many, many times a day. We even deposit checks using the camera. So this camera is integrated into our way of life.

We treat the mobile phone as an integral part of our sensory system so, essentially, we're addicted and Apple and the rest feeds us greater and greater potency of our new "must-have" eyes, ears and memory!

So the new market will be for attachments to the mobile phone and regular cameras will be pushed to reinvent too or vanish!

Asher
I agree, but still these cameras remain poor in IQ…
No doubt they will get better and better…
I shoot pics with my iPhone during holidays or when no high quality is needed…

For example for backstage when we're shooting…

Romain returning from a shoot offshore
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Nicolas,

Asher
Asher

Excess is acceptable in todays society but addiction is not. I can get by nicely with a dumb phone and do not appreciate being forced to purchase gadgets I don't need. Technology interferes with ones own ability to think for yourself and contributes to a short-sighted mind set. Nice colour from the iphone though.

James
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
I agree, but still these cameras remain poor in IQ…
No doubt they will get better and better…
I shoot pics with my iPhone during holidays or when no high quality is needed…

For example for backstage when we're shooting…

Romain returning from a shoot offshore

IQ needs to be sufficient for the task and here it it is! I feel for Romain here!

Bien fait!

Asher

Old November 19th, 2017, 11:35 AM

Default Take Me To The Lights

Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Sometimes, just to record a souvenir, an iPhone snap is sufficient…

This was our team haking some rest and food during a shoot recently described in the thread A catamaran in the Balearic islands
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Dumped your helicopter?

Asher