• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Update on Vista with SP1

John_Nevill

I managed to get SP1 for vista this week (my day job has benefits), all 500mb of it.

Ran the installer, 3 reboots and a cup of coffee later and all seems fine.

Most noticeable is the increase in speed when copying and deleting files.

It also looks like M$ have fixed the dual monitor issue, my 2nd monitor now retains the ICC profile when it wakes up.

From a stability point of view its early days, but to honest I'm probably one of the lucky ones as Vista has been petty stable from day one. Although, even with SP1, I'm still getting the UimBus failed to load error in the event log.

On a side note I've started to use a new back up app called memeo autobackup premium. Available for PC only.

A network engineer friend of mine recommended it as a viable and trusted solution for image and document back up. It's probably the best £25 I've spent and I've tried a few methods over the years.

Memeo sits in memory and watches a nominated drive or folder and keeps track of changes. If you then connect a USB or eSATA drive to the PC, it immediately starts to write out those changes. So no scheduling or manual intervention needed.

From a overhead POV, the app can be set to work when the system is idle, so its negligible. Although bear in mind the first time you point it at 400Gb of images it will take a fair few hours to create the initial backup

Memeo premium is fully integrated into windows explorer shell so it works seamlessly with context menus etc. Thoroughly recommended!