• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New to OPF

Marc Lamontagne

Greetings,

Pretty new to photography. Good at picking up on the technical aspects but only slowly developing my actual skill.

My basic aim is to offer my ability to praise and find value in things in exchange for some technical evaluations of my pictures according to mainstream parameters: currently, my issues are framing and perspective.

Overall, I am concerned with the artistic expression of values and ideas...but where are the pictures to back this up? ... most likely somewhere in the very distant future. For now, just learning to shoot straight is a big challenge. :) but it's so much fun.

Don't consider myself a photographer yet but have plans to develop my professional skill enough to do restaurant menus and such in the near future.

I am writing a journal of my photographic adventure so I can go on for pages about this stuff. Will stop here....for now.

Thanks for having me...and yes 'I' do use pronouns, sometimes.

Cheers

PS Photos are generally signed: Marc L or Mark Miller

PPS I have many questions and topics I would like to discuss. One of them is artistic propriety and other copyright issues. I do not really see a thread or category for this, any suggestions?

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome Marc,

Am happy to welcome you! I love the idea that you want to express ideas and values! That is the hard part.

Clicking the camera is the easy part and we can help you with the technical stuff.

For composition nothing is better than a piece of cardboard with a frame cut out corresponding to the shape of the format you are shooting.

Great point is that you can survey a scene and concentrate on just what is included, excluded, the angle from which one observes and the time of day chosen.

I started each of my 3 sons that way and that is what we called “Photography”! They were told that’s how everyone learns. Not my first lie and not the last! It worked and they are often better than I am in compositions!

Asher

Jerome Marot

PPS I have many questions and topics I would like to discuss. One of them is artistic propriety and other copyright issues. I do not really see a thread or category for this, any suggestions?

That could be discussed in "Layback cafe", but whatever the forum you should realise that artistic propriety and copyright are closely tied to laws and these, in turn, vary between countries. This forum being international, you may not get very useful advice from members living in different countries than the one you want advice for.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Marc,

Start a new thread wherever you feel it fits on Propietry images and copyright.

I will look out for it and do my best to contribute!

Asher

James Lemon

Greetings,

Pretty new to photography. Good at picking up on the technical aspects but only slowly developing my actual skill.

My basic aim is to offer my ability to praise and find value in things in exchange for some technical evaluations of my pictures according to mainstream parameters: currently, my issues are framing and perspective.

Overall, I am concerned with the artistic expression of values and ideas...but where are the pictures to back this up? ... most likely somewhere in the very distant future. For now, just learning to shoot straight is a big challenge. :) but it's so much fun.

Don't consider myself a photographer yet but have plans to develop my professional skill enough to do restaurant menus and such in the near future.

I am writing a journal of my photographic adventure so I can go on for pages about this stuff. Will stop here....for now.

Thanks for having me...and yes 'I' do use pronouns, sometimes.

Cheers

PS Photos are generally signed: Marc L or Mark Miller

Welcome Mark!

Copyright is simple... it is the right to make a copy.

Best, regards
James