• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jessica

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's a young lady who caught my eye at the Metropolitan Museum of Contemporary Art in New York.

_MG_83694 jacket.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica in Jacket #1

Central Park, New York, November 2013

Here name is Jessica and she's visiting from Australia, She has no idea of that she's beautiful and has never modeled or posed formally for a photographer. It was refreshing to meet someone who was so modest about her own attributes and yet so elegant and self-assured. She's actually a pretty successful career professional in retail sales!

I hope you enjoy meeting her as I have!

Asher

Jerome Marot

The dress makes it difficult for me to resist making horrible jokes about old doctors who would kidnap young girls to put them into straightjackets, Asher... Why the knot in the arms?

Asher Kelman

The dress makes it difficult for me to resist making horrible jokes about old doctors who would kidnap young girls to put them into straightjackets, Asher... Why the knot in the arms?

Fair question! We had no wardrobe mistress and I wanted a dark material to to frame her with this b.g. With more time, I'd have loaned a black coat for her from a store, but I just work fast with what's available. That's my jacket and many times too large for her. I didn't want her bright colored dress to show throiugh! An yes, the knot is something to try to interpret for yourself, as you might Rorchach ink blot. If this were painting, that's what I'd do.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I haven't been able to look at the image on a calibrated monitor yet so I can't really comment on the lower portion. From what I see now, I think that Jerome has a point though. You have done well with her placement in front of a tunnel's end and the light is quite nice. I suspect that you have done some blurring of her skin, right? Or is this the 50/1.2 doing it's work?

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I haven't been able to look at the image on a calibrated monitor yet so I can't really comment on the lower portion. From what I see now, I think that Jerome has a point though. You have done well with her placement in front of a tunnel's end and the light is quite nice. I suspect that you have done some blurring of her skin, right? Our is this the 50/1.2 doing it's work?

Exactly, Cem my good friend! This is the 50 1.2L. I generally just use one lens and zoom with my feet. I also admit to the Ricoh GR being in my pocket with it's 21mm add on lens for wide shots.

What I like is to find regular people. (and not those who's necessarily follow fashion or consider themselves gorgeous), and then position them according to my immediate impulse as we pass structures in the park. This is very, very fast shooting, a minutes at each spot. The effect on the person's view of themselves is wonderful to see, like flowers opening up in the spring!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here's Jessica in her "civvies", (regular N.Y. street attire)! (Checking the EXIF, I used a low level fill flash, but essentially this is mostly available light).

_MG_8183_Adobe Camera RAWONLY.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica Civies #1

New York November 2013

Asher

Kevin Stecyk

Asher,

In looking at your latest photo, civvies, I note that you used a flash, perhaps on-camera flash. Her eyes have a small dot in the center, which is okay. Yet, the hair around her face is very dark.

Try this series of steps:

1. Open image
2. Duplicate background layer (Background, and Background Copy)
3. On the Top Layer, Image | Adjustments | Exposure and enter 2 for gamma correction (image looks much too bright now)
4. Add layer mask to Background Copy (top layer)
5. Image | Apply Image | Okay (adds grayscale image to the mask)
6. Invert the mask -> Control I
7. On the MASK: Filter Blur | Gaussian Blur 5 pixels on your displayed image OR about 25 -35 pixels on your full-size original image (picture looks better after blur)
8. Add Curves Layer: Move the bottom LHS to adjust your black point and add some contrast into the curve. Adjust to taste. Go easy on the contrast as it will highlight all skin imperfections.

Now you should have better range. And some of the colors in the background are visible, too. Look at the awning.

For me, just seeing the extra detail in her hair makes the picture come alive a bit more.

Your taste, of course, might vary. I hope this has been helpful.

In effect, what we've done is lighten the darker parts of the image while keeping the lighter parts, light. And then we reset the black point. After all is said and done, we have brought the lighter and darker parts of the image closer together.

Asher Kelman

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the "Image Apply" to the mask procedure.

_MG_8183_Adobe Camera RAWONLY.jpg

New York November 2013

It provides a nice mask to paint in and I appreciate adding back the highlights in her hair:

_MG_8183_AdobeCameraRAWONLYKEVIN.jpg

New York November 2013

Kevin's Ideas On Mask

Asher

Chris Calohan

Asher,

In looking at your latest photo, civvies, I note that you used a flash, perhaps on-camera flash. Her eyes have a small dot in the center, which is okay. Yet, the hair around her face is very dark.

Try this series of steps:

1. Open image
2. Duplicate background layer (Background, and Background Copy)
3. On the Top Layer, Image | Adjustments | Exposure and enter 2 for gamma correction (image looks much too bright now)
4. Add layer mask to Background Copy (top layer)
5. Image | Apply Image | Okay (adds grayscale image to the mask)
6. Invert the mask -> Control I
7. On the MASK: Filter Blur | Gaussian Blur 5 pixels on your displayed image OR about 25 -35 pixels on your full-size original image (picture looks better after blur)
8. Add Curves Layer: Move the bottom LHS to adjust your black point and add some contrast into the curve. Adjust to taste. Go easy on the contrast as it will highlight all skin imperfections.

Now you should have better range. And some of the colors in the background are visible, too. Look at the awning.

For me, just seeing the extra detail in her hair makes the picture come alive a bit more.

Your taste, of course, might vary. I hope this has been helpful.

In effect, what we've done is lighten the darker parts of the image while keeping the lighter parts, light. And then we reset the black point. After all is said and done, we have brought the lighter and darker parts of the image closer together.

Like this. Thanks!

Asher Kelman

Jessica removed her outdoorsman khaki jacket, revealing a light summer dress over pants. A great combo for autumn and temp control with layers!

_MG_8236_ACR_600_v2.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica Civvies #3

Central Park, New York

She likes this image a lot! The extent of the vignette will be decreased or even removed in the final print, but for now, it's playing in my mind. I came hoping for autumn colors, but they were not developed yet, just 3-4 trees within my 20 minute radius from Columbus Circle. However, I'll show colors, I promise!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now you're cooking. What a great pickup line you must have Asher.
I hope you don't start with the old line: "Trust me, I'm a doctor" then comes: "can you remove your jacket?"
Yeah, right.!
You watch what you say to a sweet young Aussie girl. We protect our own, you know. And since she is one of ours, I can far more critical than I usually would be. Her knees are shoved up against the left of the frame. Can you give her some space there? You've got lots of space behind her which does do much for the visuals. She is looking good, though.

Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

Now you're cooking. What a great pickup line you must have Asher.
I hope you don't start with the old line: "Trust me, I'm a doctor" then comes: "can you remove your jacket?"
Yeah, right.!
You watch what you say to a sweet young Aussie girl. We protect our own, you know. And since she is own of ours, I can far more critical than I usually would be. Her knees are shoved up against the left of the frame. Can you give her some space there? You've got lots of space behind her which does do much for the visuals. She is looking good, though.

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

To my mind, the Aussies are super-enriched with creatives! She's no exception. Actually her achievements have been totally based on her business acumen in retail sales, not her looks! She has no idea I've even been to college, LOL, let alone graduated!

Asher

Hi Asher,
She's a lovely girl. I like all the images but mostly the one with the hair in her face as she has the slightest Mona Lisa smile there and I think the wind blowing her hair makes it very candid looking. I do not, however, like her orange blush she is wearing in any of the images. It's very strong and looks odd with her pinky/blue lips. Actually the lips have portions that look baby blue, some sort of iridescence, I suppose, of her lipstick.
I took the liberty of toning down the cheeks as I find they make her look much more natural that way; what do you think, do you prefer the cheeks bright?
ashersjessica.jpg

Asher Kelman

Jessica,

Thanks so much for giving attention to my work! Yes, the blush was harsh and I pulled it back on the park bench shot above. You're right about the hair and the smile too!

It's so fortunate when a stranger agrees to be one's subject and makes time for this to happen! Very generous and adventurous, even in a public space!

Asher

Jessica,

Thanks so much for giving attention to my work! Yes, the blush was harsh and I pulled it back on the park bench shot above. You're right about the hair and the smile too!

It's so fortunate when a stranger agrees to be one's subject and makes time for this to happen! Very generous and adventurous, even in a public space!

Asher

You must have kind eyes. :)

You know how we sometimes discuss how an image changes if it is in color or b/w? I think this is what happens for me with this image. With the cheeks toned down, I focus more on her lips and that delicate almost smile. With the stronger cheeks my eyes get pulled there instead. Odd how small elements can change how we perceive things. For me, anyways. :)

Asher Kelman

You must have kind eyes. :)

You know how we sometimes discuss how an image changes if it is in color or b/w? I think this is what happens for me with this image. With the cheeks toned down, I focus more on her lips and that delicate almost smile. With the stronger cheeks my eyes get pulled there instead. Odd how small elements can change how we perceive things. For me, anyways. :)

Maggie,

This is such an important issue! I believe that one has at one's disposal a myriad of parameters to adjust for each element which allows the mind of the observer to rank each one relative to the others according to the wish of the artist. One can use composition, reference to idiom, culture, mythology, other known art forms and then of course, contrast, shading, texture and color.

The latter is perhaps the most powerful seducer of the eye and mind and one has to be constantly aware of the diversions one causes in applying color anywhere!

In nature, it all fits in as it's meant to. However, we humans exploit color to get attention and to set mood, so objects like umbrellas, awnings, sweaters, scarfs and makeup all can alter the picture from what the photographer has in mind.

You point out an important aspect that I didn't realize yet. I knew there was too much blush and corrected it in the park bench picture, but I hadn't appreciated the wonderful effect on her lips when we reduced that distraction! Thanks for revealing that insight!

Asher

Asher Kelman

As you can see, we're still to early for the fall colors in most of the view!

_MG_8341_Nik_cropped.jpg

Central Park, New York

Still she brightens up the place!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, to me photography is visual. As such I let my vision form judgements and emotions.

I personally think the first image is the best and a super one. Kudos to Jessica and the good doctor.

The one with her siting in Central Park is a close second.

No pretense. It is as it happened to be.

Lovely.

Asher Kelman

Asher, to me photography is visual. As such I let my vision form judgements and emotions.

I personally think the first image is the best and a super one. Kudos to Jessica and the good doctor.

The one with her siting in Central Park is a close second.

No pretense. It is as it happened to be.

Lovely.

Thanks so much for you visit and the comments. You picked my top favorites too. The "no pretense" parameter is one we should keep in mind ....... except where we all know it's going to be "pretense", like "an Aussie girl in NY pretending to be a model"!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

_MG_8341_Nik_cropped.jpg

Central Park, New York

Very nice.

But it suffers from inadequate DoF. Perhaps f/3.2 was a bit fat for the job.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Very nice.

But it suffers from inadequate DoF. Perhaps f/3.2 was a bit fat for the job.

Best regards,

Doug

Sorry that I made you suffer, LOL! It's actually purposely blurred in the b.g to decrease the apparent DOF as it seemed to me to be too generous!

Asher

Kevin Stecyk

_MG_8341_Nik_cropped.jpg

Central Park, New York

Still she brightens up the place!

Asher

Here's something to experiment with:

1) Open image
2) Image | Mode | Lab
3) Duplicate Background layer
4) Put top layer in "Soft Light" blend mode

(You have many options from here...her skin will look a little too pinkish)

I might do this:

5) Alt-Control-Shift (stamp) to a new layer called "Stamp"
6) On Stamp, Select the "Lightness" Layer, and Image | Apply Image | Channel - Lightness, Blending - Normal, Opacity - 100% (I wanted to bring back more detail to her hair)
7) Add a Curves layer above Stamp, drag the curve down in the early part of the curve to darken the background
8) Flatten
9) Move back to Image | Mode | Rgb
10) You might wish to blend your original version into the more vibrant color version. More specifically, you might wish to reduce the pinkness in her skin. There are other ways of attacking this problem earlier.

This set of steps is a rough guide. Nothing is written in stone. On my version, she seems to pop off the page more. The colors are more vibrant. Not everyone will like the extra vibrancy.

On the photo itself, you did well having her angled toward you rather than "head-on". I like the angles with her legs. It would be good to have more bend in her right elbow.

Asher Kelman

"Here's something to experiment with:"

Well, Kevin,

This is just the conversation for thanks giving when all sort of recipes are being shared and terted out! I'll try to see how the photograph cooks up with these steps. Dan Margulis works in LAB. Are you a follower?

Kevin Stecyk

Hi Asher, I wouldn't get too concerned with my steps. Just play around and see if there's anything you like. There's a thousand or more ways to accomplish something.

My aim in showing you the steps above was to show you that you can add more color. Then, you need to decide if you like more color. Perhaps you do. Or, perhaps you don't.

Regarding LAB, if you recall, I had helped you a while back with a white balance issue inside a building. I don't recall the specific building, but it had a green exit sign. In that thread, I believe, I mentioned Margulis. I have taken his Color Theory course and Advanced Course, as well as purchased his books.

The steps I've outlined above are primitive compared to what I do now with the knowledge gained from Margulis.

Here's his latest book Modern Photoshop Color Workflow The Quartertone Quandary, the PPW, and Other Ideas for Speedy Image Enhancement (Note: I've embedded my Amazon affiliate link.) For what it is worth, if this stuff really interests you, sign up for a month (or a year) of Kelby Training, watch all of Margulis's videos on Kelby, and then use the above book. While some can go from a standing start to his latest book, I think most would benefit from exposure to his prior work. His book builds upon that prior knowledge.

LAB itself is not that mysterious. Once you get used to working in it, it becomes rather intuitive.

When working on an image, I typically visit all three color spaces. They all have their uses and benefits.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Asher Kelman

Thanks Kevin for opening a door for me a little further! I have known for a long time about Dan's almost "obsession" with LAB for developing image, but I do need to spend time getting familiar. Look at Don's waterfall here. I made an optimized BYW and then blended that back in RGB, I must admit, but it is analogous to some of Margulis' workflow.

I'll try some of the steps you suggested with Jessica's pictures shortly! :)

Asher

Kevin Stecyk

Look at Don's waterfall here. I made an optimized BYW and then blended that back in RGB, I must admit, but it is analogous to some of Margulis' workflow.Asher

Asher, as a gentle reminder, my steps are not important. Instead, focus on what can be achieved. Do you like the additional color boost? I wouldn't use my steps for a real task, either. They were just my shorthand for quickly explaining how to get additional color. For example, do you like her dress with more punch added to it?

Also, working on these small images is a fool's task. You really need something where you can sink your teeth into the image.

With respect to Don's photo, I see what you were trying to achieve. By creating your optimized version of a b&w, you wanted to get better contrast by blending your b&w into the original image using a luminosity blend mode. I think that's what you might have done.

Margulis's process is really a three (major) step process:

1. Color
2. Contrast
3. Color

Within each of these major steps, you can do additional things. And, it isn't necessarily a linear process either.

Generally speaking, Margulis encourages his students to have bright, happy images. Of course, if it is a heavy overcast rainy day, one should not make the photo look like it was shot a high noon on a bright sunny day.

So, going back to Don's photo, you gained some additional detail in the waterfall. But everything else is dull and dreary.

Let's look at the three steps again.

1) Colors. They look okay to me. Nothing seems that is obviously wrong.

2) Contrast. Yes, you might have blended a b&w into the image using a luminosity blend mode. But what about your white point? That is, your most significant white point should have a L value in LAB close to 100. You've actually reduced the white point from the initial image. Because your white point is not properly set, the picture looks dark.

3) Color again. Here, we tease the colors apart. That wasn't done.

If I were to work on the image, I would go ahead and do my thing. The colors would be probably be eye-poppingly obscene. Then, I would blend Don's original image into the modified version until I was happy.

One of the challenges of making everything so colorful is that you become immune to the color after a while. Everyone else looking at the image thinks it is radioactive, while you believe just the right amount of color has been added. You need to step away for a while and then come back to reassess.

In Margulis's classes, he has his students submit their work. Then, everyone critiques all the images. After working on an image for over an hour, you become impressed with and attached to your own work. Then, you see someone else's work that just blows your efforts out of the water. It's humbling. But you learn, even if painfully.

In the advanced class, we had to make color corrections to one image with our monitors set to monochrome. I enjoyed that exercise actually. It makes you think.