• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This will make you HUNGRY!!!!!

Will Thompson

BACON WRAPPED HOT DOG STACK WITH GRILLED ONIONS

Will_Thompson_C_2010_042603FOOD171_RJ.jpg

EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM 1/80 f2.8 ISO 200 1Ds 550EX​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will,

It's still channukah! We eat latkas with apple sauce and then donuts. Why the donuts, I have no idea, it's a new custom! Latkas are different. That's a real tradition.

Now this hot dog stuff is just the intestines and stuff the butchers cant sell and then twice as much fat by weight and blood. Even before the bacon, I am out of there, LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BACON WRAPPED HOT DOG STACK WITH GRILLED ONIONS

Will_Thompson_C_2010_042603FOOD171_RJ.jpg

EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM 1/80 f2.8 ISO 200 1Ds 550EX​

Actually, Will, I do like the picture, now that I have seen the heading it's under, Product Advertising! Yes this works. But what's it for? Is this a sketch, some work in progress or a spontaneous snap that came off well?

You have done a good job. How was it lit?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Actually, Will, I do like the picture, now that I have seen the heading it's under, Product Advertising! Yes this works. But what's it for? Is this a sketch, some work in progress or a spontaneous snap that came off well?
It's autobiographical - just Will's lunch yesterday.

Best regards,

Doug

is it intended to be cropped? Because in the case of an Ad I find that the silicon stuff at the edge is a bit distracting as well as some tiny stain on the steel panel. Apart from that, looks very appealing, and make me feel hungry. (Have you ever smell something looking at a Photograph? I usually do...Hallucinations) So it's a success because it's the aim of food photography, make you feel hungry...

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Asher, you do talk nonsense sometimes, I look at a pile of hot dogs like that and am salviating all over my keyboard! Screw doughtnuts...

:)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Donuts

The Jelly Donuts are an Israeli component added to the Latke tradition as I understand it from some friends from Haifa.

As far as hot dogs in So Cal...it's got to be either a Dodger Dog or a Pink's Hot Dog.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The idea on chanukah is to eat foods cooked in oil as the miracle of chanukah was with the oil. Hence latkes in Europe. In the eastern countries the Jews ate fried pastry treats. Doughnuts are just a more modern take and who can blame anyone for adding them to the party? ;-)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

just to state that, at least in France, people say "Hannukah"...
And "chanuka" (one romanization of חנוכה), is pronounced, roughly (at least by non-Hebrew speakers), "hanukkah".

The use of the "ch" in one romanized version (as used by our colleague here) is supposed to be suggestive of the actual pronunciation of the first Hebrew letter (ח) as something like the ch of "loch".

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
You speak hebrew Doug?

Doug is of course correct, the 'ch' of the hebrew word chanuka is pronounced the same way as the 'ch' at the end of 'Loch' as he mentions, a sound that even the English cannot pronounce natively for all their proximity to the Scots. Oh and no, it ain't pronounced 'Lock' however much tourists may loudly proclaim otherwise!

I once had a teacher who was fascinated by the range of different sounds which can be pronounced only by people of certain nationalities or language skills. It is of course picked up through childhood because adults rarely manage to learn how to properly pronounce these sounds. The rolling 'R' of the scots or infact again in hebrew is something that being english born I have never fully achieved eventhough my parents (Scottish) and daughter (in kindegarten in Jerusalem) can pronounce it effortlessly. There are a pelethora of sounds in the european, eastern, african, etc languages whose attempt of pronounciation by foreignors will always bring a smile on the natives lips..

Admittedly at least some try, a New Yorkers attempt to butcher a foreign language in the most horrendous NY accent to the extent that the words start to become more than non sensical is horribly jarring. No offense to NYkers, well OK, not too much! ;-P

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ben,

You speak hebrew Doug?
No, not at all. But I am always interested in languages, and perhaps in particular transliteration from one alphabet to another.

Some of this is a result of my work on teletypewriter codes and later on data processing character sets (such as ASCII and ISO-646).

Thanks for joining in and giving some authentic insight into this matter!

Best regards,

Doug

Sitting at work during this lunch period that indeed made me hungry.

As for languages, my wife is Laotian, I have enough trouble with english!