• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What is a tearsheet?

Phil Fernandez

I have been in this business for just 1.5 years and I have never been published in a magazine before. I have shot with quite a number of models to develop my skills and help my portfolio since I wanted to focus on fashion/apparel photography. I have worked with clothing companies shooting for catalog work but was just paid for shooting ... no editing work... and they let me sign a waiver to give them the rights to all the pictures I took of their clothing line.

Models asked me if I provide tearsheets. I don't really understand the whole concept of that. I know it also means pictures from published media ads....with them in it... right?

So when someone ask you... is this for a tearsheet? Are they saying really... is this shoot for a media ad that will be published and they will get a copy of the ad with them in it?

And when someone ask you like a magazine editor... how much do you charge for print work or tearsheet? what does that mean? Is that the amount of time and work you do shooting, editing, and then copyright of your images to be used for the magazine too?

would really appreciate help from veterans here... thanks

Phil

A tear sheet is a fancy word to say "real example of printed work" as for example the cover of a magazine where your photo appear but with the title, taken from the actual real magazine (it can be a catalog, a leaflet, a record cover, an ad) with all the artwork done, as is it presented to the final customer. See that like if you, the photographer have to buy the magazine and tear the sheets where your image appear and keep them in your portfolio. Sometimes they are provided on request by the agency, sometimes you have to sort it out yourself eg. go to the newsagent, or for smaller projects, harass the local printing company for some leftovers (like I did).

example

HTH

Most of my clients provide me with PDF copies of the ad/poster etc. as an "electronic" tear sheet.

For editorial work, I just make a PDF of the article myself,