• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Autumn Squash

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, the place by my two new windows letting in morning Southern light, now has autumn squash to mark the coming fall season. To my dismay the squash fruits are sealed for display with shiny varnish so they don't go bad before one's eyes.

_DSC4630Teapot copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ready for Fall

Color Desaturated

That to me is too harsh. So photographing them, I struggled with the natural glossy appearance but then felt it should be as more subdued B&W.

_DSC4630Teapot_B&W.jpg

Monochrome As from a Pinhole Camera

I'd enjoy your feedback and your own examples of table top discoveries,

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

_DSC4696.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ready for Fall #3

Color

_DSC4714.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ready for Fall #4

Monochrome, as as from A Pinhole

James Lemon

Well, the place by my two new windows letting in morning Southern light, now has autumn squash to mark the coming fall season. To my dismay the squash fruits are sealed for display with shiny varnish so they don't go bad before one's eyes.

_DSC4630Teapot copy.jpg

Color Desaturated

That to me is too harsh. So photographing them, I struggled with the natural glossy appearance but then felt it should be as more subdued B&W.

_DSC4630Teapot_B&W.jpg

I'd enjoy your feedback and your own examples of table top discoveries,

Asher :)

Hello Asher
I prefer the second one.

James Lemon

_DSC4696.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ready for Fall #3

Color

_DSC4714.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ready for Fall #4

Monochrome, as as from A Pinhole

Asher

The first one is by far a better composition with more depth and strong diagonal lines. The second one feels smothered.

Best,regards
James

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You're going to kill me for this, Asher, but I thought I'd test the friendship.

I'd have included a bit more white all the way around, and a bit extra at the top if I had it. Or more window.
Seven pumpkin is more Fen Shui according to she who must be obeyed.
Besides, two key features in a photo isn't cool, especially when one of them is so beautiful as the pot. It would be like me standing naked next to one of your beautiful muses. Ech!

I actually like them all. I'm just fiddling.

Asher Kelman

You're going to kill me for this, Asher, but I thought I'd test the friendship.

I'd have included a bit more white all the way around, and a bit extra at the top if I had it. Or more window.
Seven pumpkin is more Fen Shui according to she who must be obeyed.
Besides, two key features in a photo isn't cool, especially when one of them is so beautiful as the pot. It would be like me standing naked next to one of your beautiful muses. Ech!

I actually like them all. I'm just fiddling.

Actually, Tom, It's a good call. Needed more white and better without the sliver of window! That's too detailed and technical for the already rich fruit and pot.

Asher

Asher Kelman

_DSC4630Teapot copy.jpg

Color Desaturated

_DSC4630Teapot_B&W.jpg

Hello Asher
I prefer the second one.

James,

So why is the second picture easier to like? Well I think that Tom alluded to the tension that occurs by having two competing subjects, the colorful squashes and the beautiful cast iron Japanese tea pot. What brings them together her is the removal of the competing and loud color information. This now allows us to balance out, compare and contrast the nature given fruit shapes with the precisely manufactured iron tea pot. The playing field has been leveled - and that's why B&W can be so surprisingly superior to what one would, at first thoughts, consider to be more attractive, the brash intensely attractive colors.

With the immediacy of saturated colors drained away, the process of admiration becomes less reflexive and more a matter of musing, absorbing, comparing and considering.

Anyway, that's my explanation! Maybe that works for you too!

Asher​

James Lemon

_DSC4630Teapot copy.jpg

Color Desaturated

_DSC4630Teapot_B&W.jpg

James,

So why is the second picture easier to like? Well I think that Tom alluded to the tension that occurs by having two competing subjects, the colorful squashes and the beautiful cast iron Japanese tea pot. What brings them together her is the removal of the competing and loud color information. This now allows us to balance out, compare and contrast the nature given fruit shapes with the precisely manufactured iron tea pot. The playing field has been leveled - and that's why B&W can be so surprisingly superior to what one would, at first thoughts, consider to be more attractive, the brash intensely attractive colors.

With the immediacy of saturated colors drained away, the process of admiration becomes less reflexive and more a matter of musing, absorbing, comparing and considering.

Anyway, that's my explanation! Maybe that works for you too!

Asher​

That is a very good explanation Asher! Rather than arrange these objects to your own liking maybe you should try something more random? You could put the squash or other objects in a bag and then dump them out let them fall where they may and repeat the process over and over again. Until you find something that is harmonious or photograph them each time. I am sure you can find a composition that would be much different than you or I could ever dream up!

Best,regrds
James​

Asher Kelman

That is a very good explanation Asher! Rather than arrange these objects to your own liking maybe you should try something more random? You could put the squash or other objects in a bag and then dump them out let them fall where they may and repeat the process over and over again. Until you find something that is harmonious or photograph them each time. I am sure you can find a composition that would be much different than you or I could ever dream up!

James,

A good suggestion and one way of working. There are indeed so many ways to photograph objects! My wife's arrangements are a pretty good start. Random is as is and something to explore.

Edward Weston pretty well made his family walk on tiptoes lest they unbalanced some shell as he waited for the light to be right, day after day, months after month! But he didi it in the end and it was of his own mind!

Asher