• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Warped surfaces

Antonio Correia

i-Pgdz9ph-X2.jpg

Sam Hames

This is a gorgeous set of curves.

I'm curious what this is a part of - care to enlighten us, or will that ruin the mystery of the photo?

Sam

For sure it's well
Seen and photographed, but I still don't get it! Is it wrapped or warped. I don't see any warp!

Asher

I actually wrote above to Cem who asked what the warp was that I believe it was meant to be wrapped as that is what empanadas are..and mean in English and I am guessing that Antonio did a translation and may have inverted the 2 letters.

Makes sense to me as it appears to be metal that is folded.

Antonio Correia

Hi Antonio, I like the minimalistic approach. Some time ago I found a different warped surface which could serve as contrast. I can add if this is OK for you. Best regards, Michael

Sure you can Michael !... Or shall I do it for you ? No I can't. :)

Hi Antonio, I have enjoyed this photo, thanks for sharing. But what exactly do you mean by "warped"?

Perhaps Cem, the term warped is not the one I should use in English. But I looked in Google from the Portuguese and found it to be right. The description corresponds to what I had in mind.

This is a gorgeous set of curves. I'm curious what this is a part of - care to enlighten us, or will that ruin the mystery of the photo? Sam

This is the bonnet of a car. I will make more images under the same concept until I reach 15.
Thank you Sam. :)

Cem, Seeing the name 'empanadas' I'm guessing he meant wrapped and nor warped. Maggie

No Maggie. Empanadas is a Spanish word we do not use in Portuguese.
Empanadas in Portuguese is perhaps "fritos" for fried because we do not have that concept. (I think) ;)
I really mean warped. Michael's example is also a good one but more pronounced. I am searching for smooth warped surfaces which can be found in cars, aviation, boats and Architecture. Thank you Maggie ! :)

Asher, again I say that I may be wrong in using the word warped. Correct me if I am wrong please.
But I think I am not. These are forms generated the way warps are.

Yes "empenadas" is Portuguese and yes, they are warped surfaces Cem !
cover-walt-disney-concert-hall-00010938.jpg
IMG_9630-800x400.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of warped Antonio. The reason why I have initially asked was because I did not see any apparent "warping" in the first photo you have shared. But we can move on now. :)

Michael Nagel

I was a little surprised about the confusion concerning the meaning of warped.
It is a common word used in the field of e.g. printed circuit boards to describe the deviation from the ideal planar shape.
Having electrical engineering or mechanical engineering background helps obviously...

Here is the different view of a warped surface I had a few years ago.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

I am an electronics engineer and I'm fully aware of the meaning of warped surfaces. The problem was that the image of Antonio didn't have any apparent warped surfaces.

Michael Nagel

Hi Cem,

the shape which makes out the middle diagonal has a concave profile, I would call this warped.
The problem with human perception is, that in this case it is difficult to identify.
Think of the perception of impact craters (concave/convex) and how this perception flips when looking at such pictures.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hi Cem,

The picture of the car that Antonio added helps (my) imagination.
As far as I can see it is from the part of the bonnet close to the door...

I like it when pictures are intriguing :)

Best regards,
Michael

Antonio Correia

VW Golf
I was very careful not to get the sun right on the frame as well as others more identifying components of a car.
Since the beginning I had in mind something similar to what I posted.
Sometimes in theses situations the focus is hard to get.
The car was very clean.

i-gb3nZ7X-X2.jpg

Sam Hames

This photo makes the engineer in me happy. Seeing the original and the final result shows that you've very carefully and deliberately focused on a wonderful example of modern manufacturing.

I was going to beat a dead horse and comment on the title as well, but I don't want to distract from the image, so I won't :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio Correia said:
Asher, again I say that I may be wrong in using the word warped. Correct me if I am wrong please.
But I think I am not. These are forms generated the way warps are.

Yes, you are indeed mistaken. The curves we see here are intended and designed as such. "Warp" is applied in English only to growth of the shape outside of the planned form. That's the general usage of the word and it implies design failure. So if the body work of a car is "warped", then it needs to go to the body shop to be replaced and would be under warranty as a fault in original workmanship.

So a sculpture in the sun with copper one side and steel the other would distort because of uneven expansion and the designed form would be "warped".

Steel beams in bridges and other construction will take into account warp due to uneven heat loads. however, it's not something esthetic to admire as in an automobile showroom, seeing gleaming sensually curved surfaces, looking like they were created from a metallic womb!

Complex curvilinear forms in sheet metal are stamped, bent, stretched and subjected to all sorts of procedures, even underwater explosion over a ceramic 3D form, so that the flat sheet, through a complex series of planned stages, gets to reach the projected further changes in shape with convex and concave portions being developed according to some creative and impressive vision, with artistic aspects supporting structural integrity and functional end use. At no time would we call the designed form, "warped", as that would imply it was already damaged!

However I can imagine an artist fixing pieces of metal between two limits, knowing full well that the sun would force the surface to distort in some seemingly random way, (it would not be random, we just don't have a description of the tethering and size of the metal sheet and the restrictions to movement).

All the surface we see are planned complex curvilinear surfaces and I simply call them curvaceous!

Asher

Asher Kelman

All the curved surfaces shown can be described by some mathematical formula which defines the surface in a 3 dimensional model. The work can be designed freehand with clay and then scanned to a 3D set of of points in a point cloud and then, in a design of an automobile, made symmetrical. The form with then be built by machine and shaved, plastered with mud and re sculpted until perfect and then once more scanned by a laser beam, put into a 3D computer software CAD program and once again made symmetrical.

This iterative process leads to a finally approved design from which metal panels are made based on the curves defined in final 3D model.

Alternatively, a brilliant creator could simply use a formula to define that car body. However, we don't have a lot of folk who can think like that.

The best I have done, in this mode, is to capture impressive 3D shapes from simple mathematical formulae to use in my artwork. However, I lack the experience and mathematical prowess to design freely as with a pencil on paper or wires and clay.

I think most work is done with wire models covered with clay. We like to feel and fondle the stuff!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Most models used to be made of wood, I think. Example.
Nowadays, I think that computer design is more or less universal. Maybe this site could be of interest.

Good links, Jerome. Even computer generated models may get finished full size in clay. That gives a level of design that cannot be matched in a cad program. There's an actual artist who can resculpt curves beyond what one would even consider in front of a computer monitor.

A lot of high end cars, like Audi and various Japanese models are designed here in California, mostly British designers, working in Simi Valley, just 40 minutes from here. I must vist some day. I'd love to know how they do it today!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I was a little surprised about the confusion concerning the meaning of warped.
It is a common word used in the field of e.g. printed circuit boards to describe the deviation from the ideal planar shape.
Having electrical engineering or mechanical engineering background helps obviously...

Here is the different view of a warped surface I had a few years ago.

Michael,

This is warping, for sure. It does provide an interesting and complex surface. I wonder whether this is just a section of the wall where the steel skin was fitted too tightly or the surface area constrained was greater than that which could be contained without distortion once the weather warmed up.

In the steel work I have made, for example, the steel ribbons, here, I allow the steel to float so that it is at least free at one edge and in addition it is not glue to the substrate underneath. So I use a layer of brown paper over the wooden under-structure, so that the steel can move freely and accommodate the temperature fluctuations.

Asher