• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dawn and Dusk

Martin Evans

Here is a new theme for you: pairs of images relating to the start and end of the day, of some place or some activity that is meaningful to you. I'll start the ball rolling with this pair of 'chocolate box' images of a Yorkshire fishing village. I am sure that most of you have much more artistic images that would form a pair in this way...

runswickdawn.jpg

Red sky in the morning - sailors' warning

runswickdusk.jpg

Lamplight​

An old streetlamp, now adapted for electricity, still lights a corner of one of the many alleyways in Runswick Bay village. Across the bay, the lights of a farm pick out the skyline of Kettleness Point.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What a great idea, Martin! This pair surprised me in the difference in spread of tonalities at the change of location. This means we can have a generously broad interpretation for the two pictures.

Obviously, we could be conservative too, and photograph the same scene at different times.

Asher

6379399167_30d53c8959_b.jpg

Noosa River Wreck Buoys, Dusk

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Mg IV VC FB, image area 24.5cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens with the front group removed yielding an effective focal length of approximately 580mm. A #25 red filter was added to minimise residual chromatic aberration and enhance sky detail

Doug Kerr

Hi, Martin,
Here is a new theme for you: pairs of images relating to the start and end of the day, of some place or some activity that is meaningful to you. I'll start the ball rolling with this pair of 'chocolate box' images of a Yorkshire fishing village. I am sure that most of you have much more artistic images that would form a pair in this way...

runswickdawn.jpg

Red sky in the morning - sailors' warning​

Red at night, sailors' delight.

Lovely!

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Apologies if I've posted these before.

Two shots of the landing stages at the Keswick end of Derwentwater, both taken with a compact 35mm Ricoh.

Dawn%20November%201996.jpg

Dawn (or as close as I could get to it) November 1996

Dusk%20November%201994.jpg

Dusk November 1994

Regards,

Stuart

Martin Evans

Hi, Martin,

Red at night, sailors' delight.

Lovely!

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks, Doug. Of course, the landlubber's version is "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight". But (being married to a woman who once worked on a fishing boat in this same Runswick Bay) I prefer the nautical version!

Best wishes,

Martin

Martin Evans

Stuart: that is a gorgeous pair. I particularly like the dawn one. I cannot see a name on the classic launch. It is such a pity that the important collection of classic steamboats on Lake Windermere is still closed, and that these lovely lake craft are still inaccessible.

Regards,

Martin

StuartRae

Thanks Martin.

I hadn't realised that the steam launch museum was closed - it's been a long time since I was there.

I think the launch in the dawn shot is the Lady Derwentwater. Her engines were recently upgraded to Perkins M92B engines, which are more efficient and produce less smoke, as well as being much quieter.

Coniston Water still has a steam launch - the Steam Yacht 'Gondola'.

The 'ordinary' launches on Coniston have converted to electric motors, and are now equipped with solar panels, although this may be rather optimistic considering the Lake District weather.

As far as I know the Lady of the Lake on Ullswater is steam powered.

Regards,

Stuart

Well, how can one resist a challenge, sunrises and sunsets? Nothing terribly special but my spectacles have memory-tinted lenses.

Leaving early at Wolverstone on the East Coast (GB) (Ektachrome Nikon F3/yr2000)

WolverstoneEarlyMorningTweakedNeat.jpg

Leaving even earlier on the River Crouch (Ektachrome Nikon F3/yr2000)

MorningDeparture-1neatIm.jpg

Nice evening sky outside a French port (excuse awful banding around the sun which appears on upload)... (Canon 10D/yr2004)

114_1497-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerome Marot

Here is a new theme for you: pairs of images relating to the start and end of the day, of some place or some activity that is meaningful to you.

And what if the start and the end of the day happen at the same moment? Can just one picture be presented for the challenge?

6192986920_9e471e2963_b.jpg

StuartRae

Hi Jerome,

And what if the start and the end of the day happen at the same moment? Can just one picture be presented for the challenge?

Yes, it works very nicely. Full marks for a bit of 'out of the box' thinking.

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Hi Denbigh,

Well, how can one resist a challenge, sunrises and sunsets? Nothing terribly special but my spectacles have memory-tinted lenses.

Leaving early at Wolverstone on the East Coast (GB) (Ektachrome Nikon F3/yr2000)
<image>
Leaving even earlier on the River Crouch (Ektachrome Nikon F3/yr2000)
<image>

Lovely atmospheric images. I particularly like the composition of #1.
I don't think the dark frames add anything.

Regards,

Stuart

Film, black and white: Dawn and Dusk.

7476925500_e4d6c7c6f4_c.jpg
Morning, Lake Weyba​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.5cm X 21.3cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 rollfilm single lens reflex camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 wideangle lens and #25 red filter.

7476876554_961d790d02_c.jpg
Moonrise, Sunshine Beach​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Kodak Fine Art VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from an 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a 300mm f5.6 Fujinon-W lens.

Robert Watcher

Zenon,

_MG_9913-1.jpg

take the top 1/3 oot and this is the most satisfing work i hav eever seen....

stunning

cheers

I actually like the top 1/3 and feel that further processing to bring out the great details in the bottom 2/3, may make this a very appealing image.

Hope you don't mind that I played with your shot to demonstrate what I mean:

13411502323225_1q96bysr.jpg

EDIT : I just noticed that this is an old thread. I should read more before I start replying.

--------------