• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Dam Buster

Matt Halstead

I haven't posted for a while.

The Last British Dam Buster, George 'Johnny' Johnson

...McCarthy's plane was on its own when it arrived over the Sorpe Dam at 00:15 hours, and realised the approach was even more difficult than expected. The flight path led over a church steeple in the village of Langscheid, located on the hillcrest overlooking the dam. As the bomber only had seconds to pull up to avoid hitting the hillside at the other end of the dam, the bomb aimer, George Johnson, had no time to correct the bomb's height and heading.

McCarthy made nine attempted bombing runs before Johnson was satisfied. The 'Upkeep' bomb was dropped on the TENTH run.

53 of the 133 aircrew who participated in the attack were killed, a casualty rate of almost 40 percent. Johnny Johnson was one of the lucky ones.

"I've had an odd life, but one thing I have to say, is that I've been lucky"

Johnny Johnson, 23 April, 2016

Dam.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Matt,

I haven't posted for a while.

The Last British Dam Buster, George 'Johnny' Johnson

...McCarthy's plane was on its own when it arrived over the Sorpe Dam at 00:15 hours, and realised the approach was even more difficult than expected. The flight path led over a church steeple in the village of Langscheid, located on the hillcrest overlooking the dam. As the bomber only had seconds to pull up to avoid hitting the hillside at the other end of the dam, the bomb aimer, George Johnson, had no time to correct the bomb's height and heading.

McCarthy made nine attempted bombing runs before Johnson was satisfied. The 'Upkeep' bomb was dropped on the TENTH run.

53 of the 133 aircrew who participated in the attack were killed, a casualty rate of almost 40 percent. Johnny Johnson was one of the lucky ones.

"I've had an odd life, but one thing I have to say, is that I've been lucky"

Johnny Johnson, 23 April, 2016

Dam.jpg

Lovely portrait. lovely story

Le grand briseur des barrages!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dam.jpg

Johnny Johnson, 23 April, 2016​

The photograph has the Matt Halstead qualities and feel to it. So how did you come to take this extraordinary fellow's portrait?

I have great admiration for the bravery and self sacrifice of such men. Putting oneself at risk for the greater good is an amazing quality of man.

A salute to him and his generation!

Asher