• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nevayah

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I am teaching her everything I know.

I learn from her every day.

We have begun our journey together.

She will finish hers long after I am gone.

So far I have assured her of the following:

There are no deities.
There is no such thing as 'race'.
Accept nothing on face value.
Present yourself respectfully.
The stars are a very long way away but are still worth looking at.

_DSC1485-2 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

There are no deities.

A beautiful portrait of a precious girl.

And a wonderful story.

I was glad to see you speak of "assuring her" of several fundamental facts, rather than you "teaching her" those things. It is my theory that she indeed already knew those things, from birth, but they just need to be articulated and solidified, partly in order that other, misguided people do not successfully, over her life, disrupt her innate understanding of these truths.

A very sinister force in our society is the teaching of ignorance. It has attained the proportion of a plague in my country and elsewhere.

Your work to inoculate Nevayah against that force is the highest way you fulfill your duty to the future.

This is my first missive of the new day, as I gird my own self against the plague of taught ignorance. (And my blood glucose level is only 130 mg/dl.)

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Nice portrait Tom.

Consider yourself a lucky guy, to have a granddaughter to be with. It is very valuable.

What is that signal in the forehead ?

Was she posing ?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

There are no deities.

Reminds me of the Afghan girl with those mesemetizing eyes!

Fabulous child and work, Tom!

Kudos!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It was dress-up day at school.
She chose to be Indian (sub-continental).
He mother placed the dot on her forehead.

She is my great grand-daughter.

Thank you, Doug, for your words of support.

I understand exactly where you are coming from.

There is no excuse for teaching ignorance. It is akin to breathing in a vacuum.

Paul Abbott

It's fundamental that shooting a portrait like this there needs to be a neutral space for the subjects eyes to look into. It creates a balance and a harmony. The cutting off of her head is too close to her eyeline l feel, surely her head ornament would have been a nice inclusion, no?

Just saying... :)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It's fundamental that shooting a portrait like this there needs to be a neutral space for the subjects eyes to look into. It creates a balance and a harmony. The cutting off of her head is too close to her eyeline l feel, surely her head ornament would have been a nice inclusion, no?

Just saying... :)

Go fuk yourself.

Paul Abbott

Oh come on, Tom...that's a vile and arrogant comment. Anyway, I see you as a laughing stock. :)

You said yourself that you get peeved and annoyed because of others taking better pics than yourself. Be pro-active, do something to redress it. Start here and now, with this one...You could end up being more than satisfied, you could be standing proud through having addressed and acknowledged these fundamentals.
Anyway, you can implement them next time eh... ;)

Just saying...

Andy brown

I may be playing Devil's advocate here Paul but you're picking the wrong image here.
It seems to be gone but I remember it clearly. As fine a portrait as you'd see. Moving, gentle, poignant. Just plain beautiful.
If you're suggesting that the eyes needed space to "gaze into" or something similar, you are definitely falling into a colour by numbers trap.
Hassling Tom out on this image, sorry, but you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Paul Abbott

Yeah, i'll hold my hands up to looking like I might be hassling Tom, no worries.
My points still stand though but I do remember it being a nice image.
The trouble is, when Tom comes across like he does, you can't help but give back what you get... ;)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

I am sorry to see that precious portrait of Nevayah dismounted.

Still, when the ill winds begin to swirl, and the shi​t begins to fly about, it is best to bring in all the valuables.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

'Pity! To each his own sewer.'

Hmmm, the bricks have fallen in on this one, it looks like.

Paul,

I am stunned at your swing of the sword!

By the rules I should have deleted all the personal comments but got behind because of my heart attack and completing my largest sculpture.

Mea Culpa,

Asher

Paul Abbott

I'm replying to Doug's comment. He wrote the 'sewer' line in french, I just translated it and quoted it in my own way...and then made a droll comment in reply.

I didn't mean no offence...

Asher Kelman

Tom has a unique pane of glass through which he sees the world. I am sorry to see the pictures vanish as it orphans the threads that folk have invested in.

It is my fault for not storing all the posted pictures here and once my sculpture is totally installed, that is my next job!

Asher