• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monument To Trujillo Massacre

Peter Dexter

During the 1980s and '90s around three hundred and forty people from the Colombian village of Trujillo and surrounding areas were tortured (many by chainsaw) and murdered accused of being sympathizers of the guerrilla factions (FARC and ELN). The killings were carried out by paramilitaries in hand with members of the Cali drug cartel as warning to other campesinos. Both the Colombian army and police were complicit. No one has ever been tried for the crimes.

Some time in the last twenty years or so a monument was created to honor the dead consisting of rows of sepulchers on a hillside overlooking the village. A sculptress was hired to create bas relief images of each individual with things (like his "moto") that represent him. Above is a plaque with his name and type of disappearance or death. Sadly the artist, possibly saving money from her commision used materials that didn't hold up (could be right out of something by Gabriel García Márquez) and the relief images began to disintigrate after only a year. Now they are unrecognizable. Here are images I took at the monument before the reliefs disintegrated completely.

24014918575_1f806b0113_z.jpg

23647085249_433c87faed_b.jpg

23719231940_5552139a0a_b.jpg

23719227650_8e3e915267_b.jpg

23719228010_0d43491c06_z.jpg

23647056369_9e136e7cbb_z.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Someone with a Structure scanner attached to an iPhone should scan the monuments one stone at a time and thus preserve this important work.

Look here for more info.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
23719231940_5552139a0a_b.jpg

This series of pictures demands attention! I hope others will comment. The events memorialized are not merely a Colombian tragedy and crime of horrible magnitude, but indirectly relate to western cultures cruelty to minorities, be it gypsies, refugees, Muslims in Europe, or native Americans from Canada and the USA all the way down to the tip of South America.

Please don't ignore this important documentation!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Thank you Asher. I am simply sharing an obscure event that does however speak of the culture of Colombia. The photos are only documentary and without artistic merit of their own so it's ok if they just inform and don't inspire criticism.