• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Abstract Portraits in my new exhibition

I have a new exhibition here in my suburb, in a big and now empty shop. It is called "Memories in Music" as it contains portraits of singers that has been singing my songs, recorded for fun in my home as test for different project/bands. Then I have made abstract portraits based on the images I took of the singers. Between each portrait is information about each artist and a link to media players so everyone can listen to what was sung in my home.

As I also recorded myself ( as my alter egos Little Jimmy Stevens and Wade Birdie Johnson ), I am also featured =) This is a selfie, and then arranged in many different ways to get my own created fonts to shape my face. Strange idea but fun.

pippi_wall_open_forum.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Per,

I am so impressed. I would love to see the detail and how Pelle approached the abstraction!

Are there more pictures from the exhibition?

Do we get to listen to the music?

Asher

I think you should 3D print it! I'd rather see actual physical letters in space than 3D modeling. My feeling is that the underlying photo is too rigidly assertive on the overall effect. Looks too much like making art marks on top of a photo on an iPad. This is a real problem with digital art. It makes this stuff so easy. Don't be afraid to let the letters go outside the exact lines of the photo-a little I really like the idea of using letters (especially your own font) as modeling material. I would like to see the letters occurring in the frame as text or by themselves as well as in the face. The lit face itself could use basic tone progressions . The underlying shadow tone is too dark, and light is too light. Look at a white egg on black velvet. If you squint-look at how close the light is to the shadow.

Everybody should see a DVD called "The Mystery of Picasso" filmed by I think Claude Renoir, Jean Renoir's son. It "animates" in real time Picasso drawing. What is astonishing is Picasso's fearlessness in obliterating his own work to allow something better to come out of the rubble. He starts working when most of us are done! It is inspiring to see how relentless the great ones were (and this includes Jimi Hendrix, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Cezanne (110 sittings for a single portrait)

Now the exhibitions is over, and it has been a great time for me.

Here is a close up of my eyes.

my_eye_900.jpg

Here is the poster for the exhibition, Memories In Music, with another selfie.

poster_fb_datum_900b.jpg

Besides the portraits I also did some art of titles of some songs I have written.
This one can be hard to see what it is, but the title is Someone Got His Hands Full of My Wife =)

hands_full_1024.jpg

Here are some songs from the exhibition.

http://www.lutzimages.com/pellepiano/openforum/

The empty store where the short exhibition took place, is a 70 year old business here in Hökarängen ( Hawks Meadow in english =) ) . So it was kind of touching when the owner Lasse ( called Ironman, as it was that kind of store, tools and stuff from the 50s and so on ), was going to close the store, for the the last time.

Here he is in the great premises.

322-panonycklar1200.jpg

Asher Kelman

I like the idea of totally commanding a “Universe” in a composition. Like this amazing new work:

Of course, for there to be any chance of anyone else comprehending, one has to start with objects and motifs folk can recognize.

Some folk may ask “What does this mean?”

I think the artist instead beckons,

“Stranger, come visit. I beg you, wander in my garden.... with or without your burdens and jewelry.”

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I think you should 3D print it! I'd rather see actual physical letters in space than 3D modeling.

Do you imply that Pelle has already made a 3D form that could be printed as an object?

My feeling is that the underlying photo is too rigidly assertive on the overall effect. Looks too much like making art marks on top of a photo on an iPad. This is a real problem with digital art. It makes this stuff so easy. Don't be afraid to let the letters go outside the exact lines of the photo-a little I really like the idea of using letters (especially your own font) as modeling material. I would like to see the letters occurring in the frame as text or by themselves as well as in the face.

Laurence,

Unless one is painting “Haystacks” or “Waterliies”, or composing as “Fur Elise”, in Art one should at least consider taking one’s idea and motifs to the nth of expression!

The work, ideally, apart from featured solo moments in a violin concerto or Jazz performance, shouldn’t call attention to technique and virtuosity. Rather show an integrated whole Independant living form, “Being” what it is: a jaguar running, an hyena howling or an entire Bach Suite.

At best, the method of assembly of the living art form shouldn’t call attention to itself, just as when the jaguar leaps towards its prey or Picasso’s anti-war picture silences all conversation with it’s awesome integrated presence and complete arguments.

The lit face itself could use basic tone progressions . The underlying shadow tone is too dark, and light is too light. Look at a white egg on black velvet. If you squint-look at how close the light is to the shadow.

I must study that more and catch up with you on this one. I need my big screen!

Everybody should see a DVD called "The Mystery of Picasso" filmed by I think Claude Renoir, Jean Renoir's son. It "animates" in real time Picasso drawing. What is astonishing is Picasso's fearlessness in obliterating his own work to allow something better to come out of the rubble. He starts working when most of us are done! It is inspiring to see how relentless the great ones were (and this includes Jimi Hendrix, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Cezanne (110 sittings for a single portrait)

Thanks,Laurence,

This is very important and valuable link. It’s new to me and fabulous as an insight to creativity at its limits!

The parallel in music, literature and screenwriting is the aphorism that we must be prepared to mill off many of our treasured offspring in the process of creating a complete integrated seamless work of beauty!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have a new exhibition here in my suburb, in a big and now empty shop. It is called "Memories in Music" as it contains portraits of singers that has been singing my songs, recorded for fun in my home as test for different project/bands. Then I have made abstract portraits based on the images I took of the singers. Between each portrait is information about each artist and a link to media players so everyone can listen to what was sung in my home.

As I also recorded myself ( as my alter egos Little Jimmy Stevens and Wade Birdie Johnson ), I am also featured =) This is a selfie, and then arranged in many different ways to get my own created fonts to shape my face. Strange idea but fun.

pippi_wall_open_forum.jpg
Per,

Are these 2D or do you also make 3D forms. Or are these 3D concepts that we see in just a flat derivative?

Asher