• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Macro Lens?

Peter Dexter

I am showing this to illustrate the (to me) unexpected "macro" ability of my Sony a6000 24mp camera with the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 lens. By rights this ought to be a landscape lens should it not?. However due to the extraordinary sharpness of the lens and close focus and the camera's 24 mp I can crop way down on very small subjects to produce a usable macro image. This charming fellow, an Earwig is all of 2 cm long.

43375819855_2fde16f4f4_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am showing this to illustrate the (to me) unexpected "macro" ability of my Sony a6000 24mp camera with the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 lens. By rights this ought to be a landscape lens should it not?. However due to the extraordinary sharpness of the lens and close focus and the camera's 24 mp I can crop way down on very small subjects to produce a usable macro image. This charming fellow, an Earwig is all of 2 cm long.

This is so impressive, Peter. What a handsome creature and perfect rendering. How far away do you think you were. This way the lens likely doesn’t block flash.

43375819855_2fde16f4f4_b.jpg

Imagine now adding a Vello Deluxe Auto Focus Extension Tube behind this superb lens! Just $85 at B&H!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Thank you Asher I think I will get a set, not so much for my 24 1.8 but for my Batis 85 1.8 which designed for full frame is rather telephoto with an aps-c.

Peter Dexter

Asher (or anyone) now I have a question about the Vello Deluxe Auto Focus Extension Tube. What about this scenario: I have a Batis 85 1.8 which on the Sony a6000 has a telephoto effect. If I am in a small room I can't get far enough away to get more than the person's face in the frame. If I have this device mounted in the same situation will I get more of the person in the frame?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Yes, but maybe a bit more than you need.

I don't understand. It looked to me as if Peter's problem was that the lens he mentioned gave too small an angular field of view to embrace all of the subject's face at the small distance to the subject that was available in a small room. There was no suggestion of any problem of being able to focus on the subject at that distance.

Adding a "glassless" extension tube (such as the kind mentioned) does not change the focal length of the lens system. So it should not change the linear field of view at a given distance (with the camera again focused on the subject, if possible with the extension tube aboard).

What am I missing here?

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Doug is right. I misread the question. Extension tubes will only allow you to focus closer, not to get a wider angle.

Adding a "glassless" extension tube (such as the kind mentioned) does not change the focal length of the lens system. So it should not change the linear field of view at a given distance (with the camera again focused on the subject, if possible with the extension tube aboard).

Technically, lenses with internal focussing may change their focal length when focussing. Usually, the focal length decreases with closer distances, as that makes it easier to focus close with a physically short lens. In such case, using extension tubes to focus closer instead of using the internal focussing distance will actually decrease the field of view, just the opposite of what is wanted.

But this is just a technicality, hence the small print...