• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aperture and Auto Pano Pro?

Klaus Esser

pro member
Who has integrated workflow between these great programs?

Asher

Hey Asher!

After being absolutely enthusiastic by the features of the first Aperture-Version, i´m very pi . . . ed-off by the 1.5 version.
They took away the main-bibliotheque-window - oversight with ALL pictures in ONE Window, which i need very much by shooting some hundred shots before noon.
The new way of having an oversight is very uncomfortable - to me at least.
I´m actually working on a testimonial-job with 15 people in 5 scenes and have to select from some hundred shots every day - it would be very good to have a quick oversight - but the new window-structure nerves me completely. So i switched to Lightroom in a moment. It´s much more comfortable to me in this case.
I really am a hardcore-Apple-fan since the beginning of the Mac in 1984 . . . but Aperture really sucks when working fast and concentrated with very much shots at a time.
Try it . . . . working slow with few shots and much time for selecting: no problem. But when it´s "burning": no, thanks.

I think, i´ll go back to an earlier version of Aperture - i had a good workflow with APP in selecting single shots for a pano and prepare them for stitching. But the older version´s RAW-converte couldn´t be the last word at all . . .

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus, I heard that Aperture was going to synch with APP? Heard anything?

I'll have to download APP 1.5. Do you have to uninstall the previous version or can one keep both?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Klaus, I heard that Aperture was going to synch with APP? Heard anything?

I'll have to download APP 1.5. Do you have to uninstall the previous version or can one keep both?

Asher

Hi Asher!

What do you mean " Aperture was going to synch with APP"?

When you install Aperture 1.5, it overwrites you previous version, but imports the library. You can´t keep both - and i didn´t manage to switch back yet . . . .

best, Klaus

Stan Jirman

My "integrated" workflow is to export in Aperture (tifff) and then feed it into APP. I don't know how anyone would have downloaded APP 1.5 since they are *working* on 1.4 (most recent release is 1.3.1), but what do I know.

As for a true integration, maybe can you be more specific what you are looking for? I am perfectly happy with the workflow that I have right now, but that doesn't say much.

Klaus Esser

pro member
My "integrated" workflow is to export in Aperture (tifff) and then feed it into APP. I don't know how anyone would have downloaded APP 1.5 since they are *working* on 1.4 (most recent release is 1.3.1), but what do I know.

As for a true integration, maybe can you be more specific what you are looking for? I am perfectly happy with the workflow that I have right now, but that doesn't say much.

Hey Stan!

APP (AutoPanoPro) is at version 1.3.1. The Version 1.4 Alex actually promised for monday.
Apperture is at version 1.5.3

best, Klaus

Stan Jirman

Hey Stan!
APP (AutoPanoPro) is at version 1.3.1. The Version 1.4 Alex actually promised for monday.

That's what I said. And no, he promised it for Next Week; read his post correctly. Knowing Alexandre, that means Friday late evening, if at all... He's a very nice & smart guy but needs to learn a few things about ship date announcements.

Apperture is at version 1.5.3

Again, nobody ever disputed that.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Alexandre promised today for next monday, but I'm not sure if he launches the win-version first.

I'm keen to get the the 1.4, having a FF and a 15mm-fish, this reducing the shots on 6+2 for full sphere.

Asher Kelman

While we are on APP, a simple question.

After adding the vertical guides for making the Pano have proper verticals, what is the next step. I did it previoiusly but now forget what one does to get APP to do the rrendering with this.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks Michael,

That maybe isw how it worked before, but not now! I'll delete APP preferences and try again!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yesterday, did some stitching - for urbanistic architecture purpose - with APP; the enter key is definetly the right one.
BTW: For these typ of shots, stitching is just perfect; as usually a good camera position, the appropriate focal lenghts and the FOV very rarely fit together. With stitching, one can create the required FOV, just by adding a few shots on the right or left. Even more: stitching will "enhance" the resolution as well - compared to a single shot, which is a big bonus in these bad summer light conditions.

The win-version of APP 1.4 is launched: http://en.wiki.autopano.net/Latest_Beta
the mac-version should come, this week.

Vers 1.4 will have fisheye-support, as well as the ability, to add manually the focal lenghts, when a third-party lens is used, as distagons, etc.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Yesterday, did some stitching - for urbanistic architecture purpose - with APP; the enter key is definetly the right one.
BTW: For these typ of shots, stitching is just perfect; as usually a good camera position, the appropriate focal lenghts and the FOV very rarely fit together. With stitching, one can create the required FOV, just by adding a few shots on the right or left. Even more: stitching will "enhance" the resolution as well - compared to a single shot, which is a big bonus in these bad summer light conditions.

The win-version of APP 1.4 is launched: http://en.wiki.autopano.net/Latest_Beta
the mac-version should come, this week.

Vers 1.4 will have fisheye-support, as well as the ability, to add manually the focal lenghts, when a third-party lens is used, as distagons, etc.

Hey Michael!

It´s a bit like christmas to APP-users . . . :) - if they really give us the mac-version this week . .

best, Klaus

Michael Fontana

pro member
Good morning, Klaus

yep, it has been possible to stitch fishs with APP, but was a bit clumsy....
they had a QTmovie showing that feature, the other day, on the APPforum...

and I like the use of my adapted lenses as well. BTW: Alexandre did change the editors-windows as well.

>if they really give us the mac-version this week . .<

it took' em longer than they thought, but I'm not in a hurry, as I prefer software not maturing on the users computer. : ouch:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Beeing busy, these weeks, I had a rather superficial look at it. There's another big thread about it.

And before entering in these sizes, I still need to optimise my setups, with the 15 mm fish, 21 mm zuiko, 28 mm distagon, 50 mm macro and 100 mm macro...

meanwhile slowly getting into Lightroom as well...

>I´m just after a translation of the french wiki <

I might give you a hand, in about a week or so. As I understand pretty everything they write in the french wiki....- it's easier to understand than to write ;-)

Asher Kelman

Where is the Merlin made? In AutoPano Pro Wiki it says

L'idée est de réaliser une Tête panoramique motorisée à partir d'une monture astronomique azimutale; le prix dérisoire (240€) de celle-ci en fait une très bonne candidate.

So what does one get for the $240 Euro? The plans to build it?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Where is the Merlin made? In AutoPano Pro Wiki it says

L'idée est de réaliser une Tête panoramique motorisée à partir d'une monture astronomique azimutale; le prix dérisoire (240€) de celle-ci en fait une très bonne candidate.

Asher

see here:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...ProductID=227203&relateInfo=1&add=yes#tabLink in the US it´s called "Orion".

and: yes, it´s about 250.-$ . . :)

best, Klaus

Klaus Esser

pro member
I haven't read it; here is an other panohead, with a motor as well.... just for comparison.

yes - i worked with it. I mean it´s too expensive and lacks vertical motorizsation - and is unstable with heavy camera/lens-combination like 300mm and an 1Ds.
Just horizontal driven - but the motor and controls and positioning are very precise.

best, Klaus

Michael Fontana

pro member
okay, with a 300 mm ;-)
- good for mega-panos.

I actually have the Seitz-head - without the motor, and works fine with the 100 mm macro & 1 Ds-2...

100mm_srow.jpg

BTW: The shoots were done on a pedestrian bridge between France and Germany...
as the bridge is moving, when people walk on it, it was a bit tricky

Asher Kelman

In AutoPano Pro Wiki it says

see here:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...ProductID=227203&relateInfo=1&add=yes#tabLink in the US it´s called "Orion".

and: yes, it´s about 250.-$ . . :)

best, Klaus

Well, Klaus, this is amzing if it is a solid platform. The price is very good for just a non motorized pano.

Answers to the following:

1. How many axis the camera can be moved in? The answer is two. Left to right and swinging up and down!

2. The means for getting the optical center of the lens in the center of rotation? I was thinking one could simply add a macro rail.

3. How many shots can one program to take in each position? In Pano's bracketing is great as one can go in and out of shadow and bright areas. Just one in auto mode but good for many panos. However, they have a " go to" mode so one advances to each preset position by pressing the buttons, 1-6 and at each place the camera can be fired using the Canon remote. I'd fire of 5 sets of brackers to get high resolution low noise HDR :)

I'm simple amazed!

If it works and is solid, what could be better?

I think the Canon 5D with a 300mm f 4 lens would be very good. It can hold 8.8 lb!

Well looks like something to play with!

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
"Well looks like something to play with!"

right :) - i´m gonna order 3 heads (two pals are interested too) and we´re just in contact with some IT-students to modify the programs, which originally are for astro-navigation/positioning, for high-res pano-photography.
I´ll keep you informed.

BUT FIRST the 6x9/digital contest will take place end of the week :) !

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

"Well looks like something to play with!"

right :) - i´m gonna order 3 heads (two pals are interested too) and we´re just in contact with some IT-students to modify the programs, which originally are for astro-navigation/positioning, for high-res pano-photography.
I´ll keep you informed.

BUT FIRST the 6x9/digital contest will take place end of the week :) !

best, Klaus

What will the new software allow one to do?

Asher