• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film not dead yet :D

There is alot of discussion about DSLR vs MF digital and more about that a 8MP will easily outresolve a good MF scan.

Well.....

We talked alot about that and I thought let's post a sample to show something about that 5MP statement.

Not a good photo but I only have shot one roll of film that I got back today and most was testing to get used to the camera.

Scanning was done with a relativly cheap V700 Epson scanner, when using a better scanner you can expect ALOT more detail and sharpness.

So just for fun to show what is possible with a cheap solution scanner and 6x7 slidefilm.

And remember we don't even talk about the different DOF, better glass, better dynamic range (for digital) etc.

Although I'm a big fan of my Leaf Aptus digital back I have to say that the 6x7 film scans have impressed me very much, taking into consideration that the V700 is one of the cheapest MF scanners.

RZ67sample.jpg

Greetings,

Frank

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That's why I purchased an 8x10 film camera with a 4x5 reduction back and a 6x6, 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 rollfilm back!

I felt that I could not afford the MF digital back and that film was a very good medium that would serve me well for detail rich images that my Canon cameras can't handle.

It works and frankly it's also impressive and enjoyable.

Your Mamiya system has some of the fines lenses at give away prices. Go for it! Try that picture with the leaf and tell me if there is no Moiré on the sine pattern of the scarf!!!

This is hard to beat. Now if, of 20 pics you need 4 for a job, it's no big expense to pay for drum scans and that can be added to your bill. For me, it's a low cost high quality option especially suited for the quality low volume work requiring large detail-rich prints.

I'd like to hear from you how you might use film in your work.

Asher

I will probarbly use it for a certain look but not for work.

Moiré is not a real problem as long as you know how to solve it.
Often a small change in position will illiminate it all.
Otherwise a small photoshop part of the workflow.

That's why I shoot tethered just to make sure it's not there.
But it's maken worse than it in reality is, from the 100 shots I maybe have 5-6 with moiré that is bad, and indeed only in very fine structures.
In 99% of the cases it's gone in photoshop in 2 minutes.