• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wedding Party/Family Hug

This looks like a very fun shot Heather!
Based on what I can see in the background, you seem to have used a larger f/stop. I can see the flash in their eyes, and you have done a good job keeping the skin tones clean. Can you share how you went about getting this shot? Laying down, how many shots did you take, how did you meter it if you did??? What, if anything, did you do for Post Processing. I am asking because I like the shot and if I can convince my bad knees to get down and back up, I'd like to try a shot like this.

Marshall

ah...ha...sure. I'd have to check the file later for exact details, but yes, I did lay flat in the middle of the group for this shot. I only took this single shot. Never tried it before, but was encouraged by friends and family to do it so I tried. I believe I was on Program Mode and I had my external flash set to TTL. I honestly was shocked the exposure worked out so well and the focus...since it was such a quick shot.

No metering!

We later did another attemp with all kids in the photo and I didn't care for it as much...even though the same camera settings were used.

Thanks for the reply!

If you still have that second shot, post it and let us look at it. We are often our own worst critics and that shot may be very good. It may also be that the mood of the shot is different, so the feel comes across less than you experienced in the first one. Thanks for the quick response.

I am going to post some B/W shots of a wedding that I did this past weekend. I am going through the same things, eww, don't like that one,,, really like that one,,, and I am looking at them from the photographers eye, without the emotional impact that the customer may have. I have found that, in many cases, the best shots are the ones that the customer has the most emotional response to and could care less about the technical aspect of the image. I'll throw some of those shots up tonight.

Marshall

Yes, I do and I will

Yes, I have the 2nd shot. Actually played with it last night. Figured out the reason I didn't care for it as much and that is b/c they didn't have their heads together as in the first and there weren't any trees above...only sky. Here it is anyhow. I added text and am going to blow it up for a Father's Day gift to their grandfather.

Hi Heather,

The two shots do have a different feel, no questions, but I do not think that this one is inferior to the other one. I like this shot as well, it is very happy and very youthful looking. The first shot is tightly grouped with everyone touching heads, but the second one provides you the opportunity to add the text and create an entirely different use for the shot. I see success in both shots, good work.

Marshall

Lucas Guilloy

What a nice wedding picture. That's a really creative pic, very nice smiles. Some friends of mine booked me as their wedding photographer and I was able to take some great shots. It's a very nice thing to join a celebration like a wedding and see a lot of happy people. I am really looking forward to the next wedding where I can take pics.