• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tulips: Frame

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi

not in the centre, but framing the big white ...

Wolfgang,

A wondrous bloom stops us in our tracts and then we have to haul or attention to the right, book a place in a bed and breakfast, order coffee and settle down to study this work! It’s that unusual, attention-getting and significant enough to engage with intensely.

There is beauty and intrigue here. One could write a long essay on just the significance of adding a thin branch of a leafy deciduous tree!

I would need to print a number of sizes with no border and place thrm on a white wall to find out how it should be looked at

Asher

Asher Kelman

Perhaps it’s not meant to be understood, only to distract us and hold out attention.

Even the reference to “The Big White” is itself a puzzle!

Is this a new term or a reference to some other important work of art, literature, iconic motif in some culture or else merely catchy term coined just for this one picture.

I fear that I might be showing my own narrow education by not figuring this out, but suffice to say it does indeed work as the latter!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

"the big white" is a synonym for the white space left by the framing objects.
The basic idea for this work of mine is a reference to the great austrian painter Gustav Klimt, who positioned the objects near the border of the paper on his posterwork for the first exhibition at the Secession at Vienna in 1898. This caused a veritable scandal ...
http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.s/s477719.htm

Asher Kelman

Wolfgang,

Now I understand and this better than a reference to a cheesy film!

The “Big White”!

I so appreciate rebellion and Klimpt, far more appealing to my sensibilities. I am not surprised how ignorant I still am!

Asher

Wonderful piece, Wolfgang. I love the long pull of the neck of the tulip; so sensual. I also like how you added the piece of branch which mimics very well the back of the half of the tulip so nicely and gives it the heft needed to balance out the composition. Beautiful! :) Maggie