• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Capture One 4 Now Available !

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yes…

Both for

Macs: Capture One 4 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later. English version only.
and
Windows: Capture One 4 for Windows XP (SP2) or Vista. English version only.

you may download from there:
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Reminder this is not the pro version! It does not have all pro features…

 New user interface offers maximum space for the images. Images, not sliders and controls, are the focus. A darker background permits easier image viewing and enhancements. As with previous generations of Capture One, a guided workflow is available to assist the photographer in the image enhancement process;
 View and work with up to 12 images simultaneously at full resolution;
 Powerful new shortcut architecture allows faster image import, adjustment and processing;
 Multiple Variants of a single RAW image can be made with virtually no disk and performance overhead;
 Recover details in highlights and shadows with High Dynamic Range tool;
 Share or showcase your images with the stylish Web Contact Sheet feature;
 Fine-tune your images with responsive sharpness and noise controls
 Achieve consistency with a single touch: combine settings (e.g. within white balance) in tool Presets for easy reuse
 Import and export images in DNG format, for more options to share and archive;
 Manage and transfer license codes, so Capture One 4 can be used on one computer one day and on another computer the next.

If you have installed any of the Capture One 4 betas you should uninstall these before you install the final version of Capture One 4.

nicolas claris

How beyond the trial period, as there is a murky activation procedure?
Hi Ralph
If you have a 3.7 pro license it's a one very easy step (a change!), provided that you logged from the download page with the same profile as you did previously… then, at theend of the install (or 1st launch, I don't remember) your serial is recognized, just click on it and fill the 3 fields (name etc…) and your set!

Thanks Nicolas, you answered so rapidly I didn't have time to get back to say that I figured it out. In fact, activation of Capture One 4 merely (!!!) requires retrieving your C1 Pro license (helpfully partially blocked out on the Mac under 'license activation') from the Phase One site. The rest is history.... your product history, that is, where your license number is indicated. And then one proceeds as you kindly indicated.

I'm glad that you are pleased with the conversions you are now getting with the 1Ds3, and would be pleased to learn how you are finding the files in this more familiar and comfortable conversion environment (even though it isn't the Pro version). Perhaps in the 1Ds3 thread.... Good luck, I'm stuffing sea urchins into my pocket before I read your results. Fortunately, I'll be offline for the holidays, as my camera shop received quite a few 1Ds3 bodies (20).

Don Lashier

> Does it have arbitrary rotation?

Yup.

I've only played with it a few minutes but I'm liking it a lot so far, of course also based on experience with the public betas, but quite a few "refinements" seem to have been done since the last beta I used.

- DL

(But there are no Magne profile for the 1Ds3 afaik…)

I've read somewhere that the old ones can be used, but they need to be renamed according to the CO4 convention. Of course there is no guarantee that they are a perfect match (probably not) with the new Raw conversion engine, but they seem to work. It's better to wait for Magne to create new ones.

Bart

nicolas claris

I've read somewhere that the old ones can be used, but they need to be renamed according to the CO4 convention. Of course there is no guarantee that they are a perfect match (probably not) with the new Raw conversion engine, but they seem to work. It's better to wait for Magne to create new ones.

Bart

Once again, I do agree with you…

For those who wish to try by themselves :

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40085#post40085
read down to Michael Fontana good advice…

BTW this is for Macs… no clue for Windows…

Michael Mouravi

My experience with the profiles made for C1 3.7 is that they don't really work with C1 4.

I don't have Magne's profiles for my current cameras (1D Mark IIn), but here's a comparison of my own profile made for C1 3.7 with generic ones in both C1 3.7 and C1 4. All processed at defaults with white balance taken off the light gray patch and white patch values at about 251

You can see how oversaturated and inaccurate colors become when using my profile with C1 4, while they are quite normal when using the same profile with c1 3.7.

Please pardon the subject matter :)

c1profiles.jpg

Alain Briot

pro member
Here's how to rotate several images at once in the browser:
- select multiple images (shift-click on Mac)
- Do Command, Option, Shift + R (for rotate right) or L (for rotate left).

Took me a while to find out. The regular rotate command only rotates one photo at a time which is a pain.

Sorry I have no idea if this works on Windows but I'm sure you can find out by playing with keyboard commands. Option= alt.

Alain Briot

pro member
Also, if you miss the crop factors (ratios) for the crop tool, you can find them under crop tool in the left sidebar and select them there. They are no longer in a drop down menu under the crop tool in the main toolbar at the top of the screen unfortunately.

I still have not found how to get the image to be smaller than "fit on screen". I like to look at smaller images to see them on a neutral background and also to see how they look smaller. Anyone knows?

Alain Briot

pro member
Bonjour Alain

good one!

Another trick is to have them "turned" in camera…

Bonjour Nicolas,

Ah, yes but that requires thinking ;-)

Actually I have my camera set to turning the preview. Is there a setting that turns them for the raw converter? I don't know about it. That may take xtra processing time though?

Alain Briot

pro member
I found the auto rotate on my camera but the problem is that while it does rotate the photo, it also shows verticals in the horizontal frame, which means they are smaller than when shown as verticals in the vertical frame, meaning full frame (I know this sounds complicated but really it's not ) ...

So I'll stick with the non rotate camera option because I prefer the larger preview that a vertical image in the vertical direction gives me. I'll just continue to rotate them in the converter.

nicolas claris

I agree Alain
it would be better to auto rotate the file in camera but not the preview…
But this one, I'm not sure one can do it…

nicolas claris

I still have not found how to get the image to be smaller than "fit on screen". I like to look at smaller images to see them on a neutral background and also to see how they look smaller. Anyone knows?

I don't think it's possible…

As you mentionned already for the crop tool, one may click on almost all tools to find alternatives tools. (i.e. rotation, can be the line tool or the full image ala LR)

A nice feature that I just discovered is right click on the image while the hand tool is selected, you then get a thumbnail to help you navigate in a zoomed image (ala PS 'navigation' palette)

Alain Briot

pro member
Nicolas,

Agreed.

On a different note I'm not sure what the "Pro" version would add to this one. I may have missed something but I don't see much that was in C1 3 Pro that is not in C1 4 ?

Alain Briot

pro member
No idea. I always have my conversions go into a dedicated "conversions" folder. Maybe someone else knows who uses it?

Nill Toulme

How do you set it to embed copyright info? How come it doesn't seem to recognize my 1DsMkII's "Owner" metadata field?

How do you tell what camera profile it's using? How do you tell whether it's recognized your default monitor profile?

Sheesh I hate new versions of programs that I really rely on... :-(

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

nicolas claris

the camera profile being used also shows in the process tab…

I guess it uses monitor profiles set in the monitor preferences (for Macs)

nicolas claris

On a different note I'm not sure what the "Pro" version would add to this one. I may have missed something but I don't see much that was in C1 3 Pro that is not in C1 4 ?

AFAIK
Separate windows for thumbnails and main image
dual monitor use
Lens geometry correction
Vignetting

Certainly a lot more…
There were a long unofficial list in beta 4 phaseone forum, but they trashed the forum…