• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

lightroom HDR

There's no HDR in Lightroom. Do you mean:
  • launching from Lightroom to HDR Pro in Photoshop
  • selecting the 32-bit option in Photoshop and saving
  • processing the image in Lightroom, which remains in 32-bit

If that's what you mean, it works well, probably usually better than 16-bit processing in HDR Pro in Photoshop. I still mainly use SNS but there have been occasions when 32-bit processing from Lightroom has worked better.

As compared to in camera, I have that capacity but have never used it. If it doesn't work entirely well, you probably only find out when you get back to your computer. It won't have any capacity to let you choose which image to prefer when something is moving and I prefer to have the kind of control that SNS gives me. Your choices may be different of course.

how good is it compared to in camera or 3 bracket into CS5?

Hi Doug,

I also prefer SNS-HDR for its capabilities, but Lightroom + Photoshop generated 32bit floating point TIFFs do come a long way. In impossible situations though, SNS-HDR is clearly the winner when you look at the examples I posted here earlier. There are hardly ever artifacts I need to attend to, and there are virtually no halos to worry about.

The benefit of Lightroom and 32-bit FP TIFFs is of course the convenience of staying in the same program most of the time.

Cheers,
Bart