• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Jasmine - which is the old lens?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

This is from a reflected UV photography test I made recently, an old spectrometer quartz fluorite lens against my quartz fluorite CERCO 94mm

original.jpg

So which is which?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My guess, Klaus,

Thinking of pictures with lantern lenses on LF plates and 8x10 that the left side is the lantern lens while the rights side is the modern lens. I'd hazard that if the center on the left was in perfect focus, the perimeter would not at the same distance. It could be even curved focal plane.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I just look. You actually realize the worth of the lenses and actually obtain AND use them well! Anyone can acquire things, but exploitation of opportunity rarely happens.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes, on my search for affordable solutions, compared to having to buy a $$$$ UV Nikkor or similar.

Stopped down to f8-f11, the usual stops for UV photography also using an UV Nikkor etc., that old quartz fluorite lens works quite satisfying - that actually was the big surprise.

Asher Kelman

Yes, on my search for affordable solutions, compared to having to buy a $$$$ UV Nikkor or similar.

Stopped down to f8-f11, the usual stops for UV photography also using an UV Nikkor etc., that old quartz fluorite lens works quite satisfying - that actually was the big surprise.

Exactly, Klaus,

The surgeon can operate with a steel or a stainless steel blade from so many different sources. What counts most is the knowledge and skill of the person who choses what to pick up as the tool of choice. In absence of this, the rest of us have to follow the path blazed by known well advertised and documented brands instead!

Asher