• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Capture One v4.1 is out

John_Nevill

Capture One v4.1 is out and it's looking good!

Highlighted new features:

Capture One 4.1 includes a number of new features, some of which will be introduced below:
  • Tethered shooting (excluding Live Preview) is now available for Phase One digital backs.
  • The Hot Folder feature allows users to capture images with 3rd party applications and have supported RAW files appear automatically in Capture One
  • Based on the new Lens+ and Focus+ technologies two lens correction features have been added. The new features address chromatic aberration, purple fringing and sharpness issues in images and will help take image quality to a new high level
The new features are initially available for “Mamiya”-mounted Phase One digital backs and selected Phase One and Mamiya lenses

Solved issues:

Below you will find a list of issues which have been solved with this release of Capture One 4.1.

General:
- The sort order criteria set was not applied when relaunching
- Removing rating from a rated image gave a zero rating, rather than clearing the rating
- Exif data was missing on some file types.
- High ISO images from Fuji S5 Pro showed inconsistent exposures compared to camera previews
- It was not possible to activate the software without entering a first and last name in the user's profile
- Capture One failed to save file settings for RAW files which had exif or IPTC information edited by 3rd party applications
- Tool tips have been added for fields with long information strings

Mac:
- License manager: A misleading message was shown when trying to activate “one-keyone-profile” type license codes with a wrong user profile

Windows:
- Importer: In certain conditions the Importer only appeared once.
– Toggling the Browser between list- and grid-mode when loading a collection caused the application to crash

Mike Bailey

pro member
Does version 4.1 do any better on saving preferences/settiings than 4.01 did? That was the reason I uninstalled it after using it and have stuck with 3.7.8.

Mike

Installation/re-activation on Win XP Pro was smooth (both on Desktop and Laptop).
Now comes the quest for the differences in practical use ...

Bart

John_Nevill

Here's my initial thoughts on C1 v4.1

It's been a long time coming, but v4.1 is a small step in the right direction.

Some of the bugs have been ironed out, although the pixelation issues still remain at intermediate zoom sizes. This is not good for a £110 priced application, especially when compared to the competition. Also batch processing is still flakey.

The ability to create your own profiles is back which is good news!

It seems as though there's been some tweaks to the render engine as it focuses differently to v4.01. I'm too sure if I like it, the focus (render) transition is a little off putting.

My only real gripe is that most of the new features seem to be geared towards PO/Mamiya users. e.g. lens correction etc. But I suppose this is where PO want to position themselves, so fair enough.

I would have thought Phase One would have listened a bit more to their existing customer base and pulled out the stops to make this RC a real contender for the mainstream dSLR user. I personally forgo the bells and whistles for stability and its not at the front of the pack in this arena either.

All said and done, I do still prefer C14's rendering over LR / ACR, but SilkyPix is better value for money, more powerful and IMO sits between the C1 and Adobe for DR and IQ.

Let's hope we don't have to wait another 3 months to get some of these key bugs fixed, they've been around a while!