• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rudbeckia fulgida var deamii in visible and UV light

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Today about another attractive flower, for humans as well as bees: Rudbeckia fulgida var. deamii. Shot outside with natural light (blue sky, no direct sun) in visible and ultraviolet light, using the Baader-U UV pass filter, a CERCO 94mm quartz flourite lens and my UV sensitive camera.

Visible light image:
large.jpg

Ultraviolet (UV) light image:
large.jpg

Diptych VIS - UV:
large.jpg

The petals of this R. deamii variant shows a very distinct "bullseye" UV pattern, invisible for us humans, as many other Rudbeckia species do. Also this one is reflecting around 365nm at its petal tips and is creating a very distinct UV nectar guide for its pollinators.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

An idea just came to me. Birds have ability to respond to UV. It could be that insects that might damage plants would be more visible against the bright background and enable passing birds to pick them off! We assume that birds wouldn't go for there bees!

Asher