• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let's see if this works

J.J. Pietro

Greetings all, new here and thought I'd jump in with a couple of shots.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Racing Stripes

Always happy to hear comments and critiques
JJ

OK so apparently I'm missing something in terms of uploading images. I first tried 'Insert Image' and got nothing, then tried 'Insert Link' which got me closer (the links showed and worked) but still, no actual image in my post. Hmm curiouser and curiouser.

Doug Kerr

Hi, JJ,

Greetings all, new here and thought I'd jump in with a couple of shots.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

The Code for the following link looks like this (the curly brackets here represent square brackets in the actual link code):

{IMG}https://flic.kr/p/KV8anM{/IMG}

So what is between the "IMG" tags is not an entire URL to an image.

Of course I have no idea how you made it. Perhaps others here can give you some guidance on how to do what you want to, based on where the image files are actually living.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, JJ,

Doug, thanks for the feed back. Reading your reply made me look again and I think I've solved it (I'll know for sure once I submit).

It seems to have worked fine, and those are wonderful images.

Here is a matter that is certainly up to you, as the "presenter", but our Godfather is, shall I say. "very much in favor of the presented images being centered on the page", so if you decided that doing so is all the same with you, your will save yourself some nagging.

Now, as for me, I prefer the "caption" of an image being below it rather than ending up "right after the image" as on your two examples here.

(But one of our excellent photographers, Tom Dinning, "intentionally" does it that way!)

Of course doing that is usually just a matter of having the caption on a new line, like so:

JLS
by JJ Pietro, on Flickr

(not sure what the "JLS" is)

But of course these are small ministerial details!

So welcome aboard, and I'm glad that the mechanics are falling into place.

Well, time for my breakfast.

Best regards,

Doug Kerr

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Art about Life" versus "Art about Art"!

mobilehome by JJ

Pietro
, on Flickr​

J.J.,

This picture is most important to me. The distinguished photographer from California, Edward Weston, obsessed on balancing snail shells and having light play on them as it rose in the sky, until it was perfect. The works are iconic and I thought that it would be hard for anyone to take the subject further.

Here, however, you have surprised us with a live snail, balanced on its "foot" moving along a beach. This creates a new dynamic for me and gives the snail, itself a sense of being and purpose. Whereas the Edward Western famous work on balanced shells is "art about art", yours is far more important to me, as it's "art about life".

Photo realism in art has been put down and this is a mistake as it can better carry human values, feelings, hopes, regrets, values and emotions.

Now I will never forget this one single picture. It is more significant that what it simply is, a picture of a live snail on the beach. It will transcend that and to folk with imagination, this picture can evoke a lot more, depending on what we bring to it.

Great job!

Asher

Last edited:

J.J. Pietro

Hi Doug and thanks. I have no preference either way as to centered or left justified for images, if the standard is centered then so be it. As for the enigmatic JLS, it was the title of the ocean image; Jonathan LIvingston Seagull.
Thanks
JJ

J.J. Pietro

mobilehome by JJ

Pietro
, on Flickr​

J.J.,

This picture is most important to me. The distinguished photographer from California, Edward Weston, obsessed on balancing snail shells and having light play on them as it rose in the sky, until it was perfect. The works are iconic and I thought that it would be hard for anyone to take the subject further.

Here, however, you have surprised us with a live snail, balanced on its "foot" moving along a beach. This creates a new dynamic for me and gives the snail, itself a sense of being and purpose. Whereas the Edward Western famous work on balanced shells is "art about art", yours is far more important to me, as it's "art about life".

Photo realism in art has been put down and this is a mistake as it can better carry human values, feelings, hopes, regrets, values and emotions.

Now I will never forget this one single picture. It is more significant that what it simply is, a picture of a live snail on the beach. It will transcend that and to folk with imagination, this picture can evoke a lot more, depending on what we bring to it.

Great job!

Asher

Asher, I am indeed flattered by your 'comparison' of my image to some of Edward Weston's.
This image was one of a number that I took, this one being the only one that really 'worked' for me. Very happy that it works for you too.
Thanks,
JJ

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, I am indeed flattered by your 'comparison' of my image to some of Edward Weston's.
This image was one of a number that I took, this one being the only one that really 'worked' for me. Very happy that it works for you too.
Thanks,
JJ

J.J.,

Those who admire and follow Weston's life and creative work cannot be but intimidated when we face one of his iconic works. He did not achieve the technical mastery of his amazingly lit compositions of shells by simply applying his learned skills to the studio set up, allowing some reasonable time, say 1-2 hours and be done with it! He was obsessed and totally consumed by the positions he came to settle on. He balanced the shells and forbade anyone to make the slightest vibration in the house. He was oppressive and obsessional and there were long periods of tension during the fragile balancing phase with the imposed discipline on everyone and the "coming" of just the right light!

Then for you to get down on your stomach and simply snap away at a live snail is almost impertinent in its basic technique and innocent approach! However, unlike Weston, who was capturing the essence of pure curves that made one think of curves, "art about art", you made a picture that folk with personal burdens and travail of living and surviving, succeeding and making one's way in the world can identify with. Your work is about life itself.

One could argue that the fiddling with the shells by Weston is akin to pouring paint on a canvas in an intriguing fashion. But as celebrated as such "art" is, it does not either represent the best technique nor vision as represented by Rembrandt or other classical masters..

But folk could argue and say I am old fashioned and not up to date!

Truth is that your work is much more relevant to me as a human being!

Take a well-deserved pat on the back., look to see how you came to make this picture, perhaps the wonder at the humble creature and you will be moved to do more for a related series..

Frankly, I will treasure this picture as much as I admire Weston's.

Asher

Paul Abbott

I too like the live snail image, it's shell strikes a potent chord with the rest of the image. Apart from the obvious, it's also the texture of the shell chiming with the texture of the wood...Nice one.