• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

every.thing.solid

Mark Hampton

allthatissolid.jpg

every.thing.solid - M Hampton

allthatissolid-1.jpg

every.thing.solid (SS)- M Hampton

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mark,

This is a worthwhile road to pursue. How about also trying to add that back to the original image.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Asher,

it is on the 1st image above its just to small to c - the second image is a deatail at print size - SS denotes Same Size... sorry repo speak>!

cheers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

it is on the 1st image above its just to small to c - the second image is a deatail at print size - SS denotes Same Size... sorry repo speak>!

cheers

Well, assign my missing that to distraction by the second picture!

I thought that that image was the entire composition you were showing and also it's provenance .. and maybe so! You might consider a collection with variations.

Asher

Mark Hampton

allthatissolid2.jpg

thanks for the suggestion - the image at same size will remain that way - this is a small ( 4 image work @ the moment) ... above is number 2.... still working the last two

John Angulat

pro member
Mark,
This is my favorite in the series (so far...I hope there will be more!).
There's an other-worldly essence that leaves me unsettled.
Dark, brooding..but I keep getting drawn back to view it, over and over.

Mark Hampton

Mark,

Does this also have text on the image. If so, what is it and might we have a 100% cutout over the pylon?

Asher

polrpolepleopleflat010101SS.jpg

every.thing.solid (Same Size)- M Hampton

Asher,
As requested the same size cut out - in relation to the text it’s in binary. The text is

Professor Priyamvada Natarajan of Yale University said that the findings finally proved "exactly what the fate of the Universe will be". – repeated and changed throughout

every.thing.solid alludes to "all that is solid melts into air" – Marx ref: here - thats the wilki entry - good book btw.. worth a read

oh and the side note in the work is thanks post - pre soaked meant pre charged in relation to the censor - I must post further on that thread cause it was a genuine thanks to those who understand the equipment and teach us freely..

cheers

Mark Hampton

Mark,
This is my favorite in the series (so far...I hope there will be more!).
There's an other-worldly essence that leaves me unsettled.
Dark, brooding..but I keep getting drawn back to view it, over and over.

John,

thanks for the feedback - there were 4 planned - but a few more made when I was there - so I am working throught them...

I was thinking of extending the black band - any thoughts?

cheers

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Interesting series, Mark. It's quite reminiscent of post-war Japanese photography, particularly work done during the brief "Provoke" era by Daido Moriyama. (Excepting the binary underlay.)

Do you have a statement to accompany the work?

Mark Hampton

Interesting series, Mark. It's quite reminiscent of post-war Japanese photography, particularly work done during the brief "Provoke" era by Daido Moriyama. (Excepting the binary underlay.)

Do you have a statement to accompany the work?

Ken,

I hadn't looked at that work - thanks for the heads up - i have bookmarked a few pages..

statements - man its harder task than making the work - this is the last one i wrote

got drunk…fell over….hurt me leg…caught a cold.. fell in love…was sick….more blackouts than normal thoughts….still drunk…happy drunk…found god…lost god……visited new planets and photographed them….found the one true stella god….fell over a lot…gave up stella god for whisky god…got stoned….got jobs…gave it all up…fell out of love…learned 2 smile…be came a doctor….left that….laughed in the face of reason…used logic as a weapon….learnt to spell hypocrisy ..forgot what it ment…parachuted everest…. fell in love again…bought Paris and sold it to the church…. played dice with the devil and lost…. enjoyed breathing….forgot how 2 swallow…looked at the sun for 24 minutes…. made the 1st ever pictures of super strings…. learnt when people smile the are angry…. became an atheist zen buddhist…. clapped with one hand… rescued Goldie locks from the 7 bears… ate more of the atmosphere than I should have….took 1 to many mushrooms….slept on floors…went to a stable with 3 wise men…fell in love again...made the universe with my other....

John Angulat

pro member
John,

thanks for the feedback - there were 4 planned - but a few more made when I was there - so I am working throught them...

I was thinking of extending the black band - any thoughts?

cheers

Honestly Mark, I'm not sure.
There's enough black to anchor the towers and I think any more would distract from them.
For me, the image is all about hulking, undefined entities looming in the distance.
Possibly malevolent, frightening in some respect.
Yet, you must stare, ponder.

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Mark,
It sounds like you plagiarized part of your statement from Nan Goldin. ;-)

No, actually, by "statement" I was soliciting a conceptual statement for this series, not your life. Is this series guided by anything higher than impulse?

Charlotte Thompson

Mark

from a distant star. silver maze. brought gloves. to the party. drank photography. innocence. asleep forever. hazy
lovely
wear it as a necklace. dazzling. refinement. come to the party.

love your ideas

Charlotte-

Mark Hampton

Mark,
It sounds like you plagiarized part of your statement from Nan Goldin. ;-)

No, actually, by "statement" I was soliciting a conceptual statement for this series, not your life. Is this series guided by anything higher than impulse?

Ken,

I have elucidated on some ideas I am addressing in the post to Asher. I don’t write manifestos. If I were to show this work it would have as text - my Nan bit.

I make my choices when i make my work to support my ideas and use my medium in to explore
sharpblurredbrokenwholetonailrangeisoshutterspeedfocallenghtapeturefocuspointlightingconditionsubject - that would be control of the impulse of light.

- what other people make of them is really how they read and there own ideas I cant mitigate for that - when I post images then they are free.

Now I need to get back to working on the last and reviewing the work.

thanks

Mark Hampton

Honestly Mark, I'm not sure.
There's enough black to anchor the towers and I think any more would distract from them.
For me, the image is all about hulking, undefined entities looming in the distance.
Possibly malevolent, frightening in some respect.
Yet, you must stare, ponder.

John,

I have been thinking about this - and I have not reached much of a conclusion. Below is the image with more foreground....

polrpolepleopleflat010101-1.jpg

I still get the feel of them image - I may have to work more sky in...

thanks for the feedback - its been useful

cheers

Mark Hampton

I have been working - looking and reworking the images I made - between being stupid about file names !

I find I start working with an idea or set of ideas that interconnect - then i get visual - then something happens that pushes me to a place I find further interest in... something I didn't realise when I 1st started the pictures... its a learning process which is what keeps making work interesting... If perfect planning made images then nothing has been learned only confirmed...

so 4 images move on (I haven’t even split them yet ! - and the colour is not correct - but as an ongoing work - they are getting to a place where I think they work - for me) other children have sprung up - wanting air...

allthatissolid9.jpg

every.thing.solid - M Hampton​

allthatissolid11.jpg

allthatissolid65.jpg

thanks for looking / reading

John Angulat

pro member
John,

I have been thinking about this - and I have not reached much of a conclusion. Below is the image with more foreground....

polrpolepleopleflat010101-1.jpg

I still get the feel of them image - I may have to work more sky in...

thanks for the feedback - its been useful

cheers

Hi Mark,
I'm ambivalent with regard to the additional foreground.
For me, it doesn't add nor detract from what I experienced viewing the orginal.
I will say however, I do not believe additional sky would do the image any justice.
I fear you would simply have what looked like two stripes with the towers sandwiched in between.
Thoughts?

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,
I'm ambivalent with regard to the additional foreground.
For me, it doesn't add nor detract from what I experienced viewing the orginal.
I will say however, I do not believe additional sky would do the image any justice.
I fear you would simply have what looked like two stripes with the towers sandwiched in between.
Thoughts?

John,

thanks again for taking time to respond - when I view the images together side by side - the balance of them works better with the dimensions and lay out there is now... but thats in binary not in print - I will get them printed half size and work from there..

a tower sandwich would not taste good to my eyes - I think I would look like the man in the sausage van image if that happened !

cheers