• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cross-hatching the right way

For some reason I decided to try the "photo-realistic line drawing technique" described by Deke McClelland in his "Deke Space" column in April/May and June issues of Photoshop User magazine.

The recipe includes about a dozen not-so-very-trivial steps, and since it's also a magazine article, I don't feel like violating his copyright by redescribing them. Yet the technique seems rather interesting, so I would recommend to get a hold of those two issues and play with it.

It took me a while before I figured out the "essense" and came out with the specific set of parameters that worked for my particular image.

But I liked the end result:).

So, without further ado, please welcome:

A Prayer:

104345212-L.jpg

And, in case you were curious what the original looked like:

75121749-M.jpg

Enjoy photography as art!

I'm having a blast!

Nikolai said:
For some reason I decided to try the "photo-realistic line drawing technique" described by Deke McClelland in his "Deke Space" column in April/May and June issues of Photoshop User magazine.

As Deke promised in his article, once you get your hands wrapped around this, you're gonna have a field day!

After playing this whole morning with it I managed to create an action (68 steps!!!) that does most of the dirty work for me.

Once it's done I only need to tweak the artistically important parts (opacity, manual masking and such).
In his article Deke says you should be prepared to spend 10-15 minutes only on ONE of those steps (granted, the most boring one).

With the action I wrote I can go from zero to hero in about 5 min *total* - or so my current experience
tells me.

Here's an example of such action-based 5 min work:

Portrait of a young lady:

104532110-L.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent, Nikolai!

Now can we choose which types of cross hatching or dot we'd like to use?

Asher

Last edited:
Well, it all depends on a pattern used. I used 8 different angled line patterns 48x48 each, with different line widths ranging from 1 pixel to 24 pixels.
I don't see why it can't be done with different pattern set, like dots, squares, hearts or whatever your heart desires...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Well, it all depends on a pattern used. I used 8 different angled line patterns 48x48 each, with different line widths ranging from 1 pixel to 24 pixels.
I don't see why it can't be done with different pattern set, like dots, squares, hearts or whatever your heart desires...
Hmm

Maybe you could set that up as a set of options.

Asher

Ray West

Hi Nikolai,

These are interesting. The first looks like the sort of hand drawn cartoon type of art as in a comic strip, I would like to see some sort of story unfolding, maybe a series leading into a coloured image. I would want to tidy it up a bit, the white on the left eyelash, maybe one or two from the hair. The second is an entirely different type of effect.

I think with probaly a bit more work, you could age images beyond the usual early 20th century sepia prints, back to 18th century engravings, which could be interesting for 20th century artifacts. Well worth the effort.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi NiKolai,

I could chemically etch these in brass or copper, any metal. I know someone in USA who could probably do it for you, if you wish. If you got some ink and a suitable press we could reinvent gutenberg....

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray,

Ray West said:
Hi NiKolai,

I could chemically etch these in brass or copper, any metal. I know someone in USA who could probably do it for you, if you wish. If you got some ink and a suitable press we could reinvent gutenberg....

Best wishes,

Ray

LOL,

I can simply print it :)