• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lianas and Doorways

Ruben Alfu

Hello,

After years photographing "Casco Viejo", the old part of Panama City, I found this place just last Saturday hidden behind a stone wall that needs the help of iron beams to stay standing. Here's one of the shots that I like the most, I hope you too!

_MG_6261_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Lianas and Doorways​

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben,

I'm impressed. I wonder whether a contrast curve might help express its 3D structure?

Could you also post a copy of the picture at 50% of size so we can see it isolated. This picture needs to be seen with a great space around it so it can broadcast its desolation.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ruben,

Wonderful shot.

It has the lovely feel of a late 1920s movie still.

Best regards,

Doug

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

I'm impressed. I wonder whether a contrast curve might help express its 3D structure?

Could you also post a copy of the picture at 50% of size so we can see it isolated. This picture needs to be seen with a great space around it so it can broadcast its desolation.

Asher

Hi Asher, so glad you like it! I wanted to make this image a bit flat to glue together the plethora of elements in it. This was my first instinct, going in the other direction could yield interesting results for sure.

Thanks very much for your observations Asher!

Here's a smaller size:

_MG_6261_web2.jpg

Regards,

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Hi, Ruben,

Wonderful shot.

It has the lovely feel of a late 1920s movie still.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug, thanks very much! I agree with the 1920s feel, it is definitely there, not only in the photo but in the location itself.

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher, so glad you like it! I wanted to make this image a bit flat to glue together the plethora of elements in it. This was my first instinct, going in the other direction could yield interesting results for sure.

Thanks very much for your observations Asher!

Here's a smaller size:

_MG_6261_web2.jpg

Ruben,

Thanks for this version. This image of ruin and neglect, now has an aura of isolation and even loneliness added to it. I think that how an image is presented can greatly influence the meaning and impact.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,

What can I say? I love it! But why in BW? Thanks for sharing :).

Hi Cem,

Thanks for your kind words! Colors... actually those walls have some fancy pastel hues of greens, blues, reds... I thought they were too pretty to convey the character of the scene. IMO this is a case where the color is pretty... much distracting :)

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

Hi Cem,

Thanks for your kind words! Colors... actually those walls have some fancy pastel hues of greens, blues, reds... I thought they were too pretty to convey the character of the scene. IMO this is a case where the color is pretty... much distracting :)

Ruben,

Then consider controlling that pretty effect. Copy the file on a new later in PS and convert to B&W optimizing for the B & W version. Then blend that layer with the color to your artistic taste.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

Regards,

Ruben
Well, I don't think that the pretty colors would distract at all. But you are the judge of it of course. :)

Hi Ruben and Cem,

I also couldn't help but wonder about a color version. Do you suppose a compromise is possible where color is present but desaturated to the point of not being a distraction, Ruben? Just a thought...

Ruben Alfu

Asher, didn't think about that option and yes, it's a great tip. Thanks!

Hélène, Cem, thanks again for stopping by. Here's the color version, basically as shot with global adjustments in LR. I like the colors, and I think it works fine too, but again, for some reason I feel like in this case BW tells a better story... anyway, now you'll be the judges!

_MG_6261_color.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Lianas and Doorways
Color version as shot​

Regards,

Ruben

Ruben,

Cool!

I've toggling from one the other and cannot make up my mind which I prefer. They work very well as examples of b&w v color.

Asher Kelman

Hélène, Cem, thanks again for stopping by. Here's the color version, basically as shot with global adjustments in LR. I like the colors, and I think it works fine too, but again, for some reason I feel like in this case BW tells a better story... anyway, now you'll be the judges!

_MG_6261_color.jpg

Color version as shot​

Ruben,

I just wonder whether the color image needs to be shown much larger now that we have it in order to be able to appreciate islands of color and ruined walls with their patina of neglect. So the color could expand on the impression from the B&W by adding a new dimension but it needs to be much bigger. I don't mind scrolling on this one. I'd suggest something like 1200 wide!

You could use instead make samples from the picture with sharpening and contrast optimized for that section of the picture and the textures you want to present. So I do think there's a lot more exploration needed her and this will pay off.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ruben,

_MG_6261_color.jpg

Color version as shot​

Regards,

Ruben
Don't write off the color version if you ask me. It has a lot of potential. Here is a very quick edit on the small jpg you have posted. If you process the raw file, you should get even better results.

_MG_6261_color_CU.jpg

Color version edited by CU​

Mark Hampton

Hi Ruben,

Don't write off the color version if you ask me. It has a lot of potential. Here is a very quick edit on the small jpg you have posted. If you process the raw file, you should get even better results.

_MG_6261_color_CU.jpg

Rubin,

ok ... 1/2 penny worth - Cems version pulls out the contrast in the very back wall - this is soft and needs to be clear (i think) in the type of image you are making here...

if you did not think about colour when you made the work don't add it later other than for practice and experimentation...

this image has many beautiful sad aspects - it is worth exploring.. so when you go back you mind is sharpe to what it feels like...

cheers

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

I just wonder whether the color image needs to be shown much larger now that we have it in order to be able to appreciate islands of color and ruined walls with their patina of neglect. So the color could expand on the impression from the B&W by adding a new dimension but it needs to be much bigger. I don't mind scrolling on this one. I'd suggest something like 1200 wide!

You could use instead make samples from the picture with sharpening and contrast optimized for that section of the picture and the textures you want to present. So I do think there's a lot more exploration needed her and this will pay off.

Asher

Yes, that would be an interesting exercise. I'll work on this and then will post.

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,

_MG_6261_color_CU.jpg

Thanks for the taking time to work on this Cem! To be honest, I still don't "feel" the value of the color in this photo but that's most probably because of my stubbornness LOL. I'll take yours and the others advice, but I'll have to disconnect from this photo for a couple of days (at least) and return to it with a fresh mind.

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Rubin,

ok ... 1/2 penny worth - Cems version pulls out the contrast in the very back wall - this is soft and needs to be clear (i think) in the type of image you are making here...

if you did not think about colour when you made the work don't add it later other than for practice and experimentation...

this image has many beautiful sad aspects - it is worth exploring.. so when you go back you mind is sharpe to what it feels like...

cheers

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for sharing your points of view! Very good points indeed. Let's see what time makes with this photo!

Regards,

Ruben

Helene Anderson

Thanks for the colour option. Hmmmm, perhaps the black and whit e has the edge for me. Though, not withstanding there are one or two points that are more clear in the colour version, ceiling colour - pattern. On the basis of such an interesting image though makes one want to see the rest of the building (or part thereof)

Perhaps a daft question though, what are all the bits hanging down in the picture? I know what they look like (I think they look like) but whatare they?

Ruben Alfu

Thanks for the colour option. Hmmmm, perhaps the black and whit e has the edge for me. Though, not withstanding there are one or two points that are more clear in the colour version, ceiling colour - pattern. On the basis of such an interesting image though makes one want to see the rest of the building (or part thereof)

Hello Hélène,

You are welcome! I have perhaps one or two (?) more shots of that day worth exploring, I'll come back to play more with that house. Here's a reference view of the location:

_MG_6259.jpg

Perhaps a daft question though, what are all the bits hanging down in the picture? I know what they look like (I think they look like) but whatare they?

This is some sort of climbing plant, common here in the tropics, but I don't know the name, do you? Here's another view of the same location with those plants:

_MG_6270.jpg

Thanks so much for your interest Hélène!

Regards,

Ruben