• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Light

George Holroyd

Another set of three images. In this set, light is the subject. As always, comments & criticism are welcomed.

no-4.jpg

George Holroyd: No. 4

no-8.jpg

George Holroyd: No. 8

no-11.jpg

George Holroyd: No. 11

From the series "33 Meters Squared"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
George,

Is 33 square meters the entire apartment, including the kitchen, bedroom, balcony, bathroom and hallway, if any?

Asher

George Holroyd

Yep, the entire space is 33 sq. meters or about 350 sq. feet. The series contains two exterior courtyard shots and one shot taken through a shop window just outside the building, the rest were taken inside the apartment.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Yep, the entire space is 33 sq. meters or about 350 sq. feet. The series contains two exterior courtyard shots and one shot taken through a shop window just outside the building, the rest were taken inside the apartment.

My cell is bigger than that, George. Do you have room to swing a cat? That's a requirement of any accommodation.

On a more serious note, I'm asking myself the question: 'Is it light you are photographing or is it form?'
I know we literally photograph light and I've heard this idea of photographing it in an artistic mode before. I've even considered it once or twice. I'm curious though as to our sub-conscious intent here. Is it the form produced by the light that attracts us more than the light itself? I know we wouldn't have the form without the light but it could work the other way; we wouldn't really have anything to photograph unless there was something for the light to fall upon or eminate from.

The reason I ask is that it may influence my response somewhat. If its about the light I'll give you one answer; if its about the form I'll give you a slightly different answer.
Both answers will be cordial, polite and heartfelt.

Then again, I might get really bored and move on to another thread. I'm feeling a bit that way this morning. I need a walk in the sunshine and their ain't none.
Cheers
Tom

George Holroyd

Tom,

My short answer would be both, light and form. It's short, only because I chose to use the word "light" for no other reason than it struck my fancy. As to any deeper meaning behind why I chose that particular title for the thread, I'm going to have to employ the Helmut Newton defense: "Look, I'm not an intellectual, I just take pictures".

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

My short answer would be both, light and form. It's short, only because I chose to use the word "light" for no other reason than it struck my fancy. As to any deeper meaning behind why I chose that particular title for the thread, I'm going to have to employ the Helmut Newton defense: "Look, I'm not an intellectual, I just take pictures".

'Fancy' is good to be struck, George, as long as it didn't hurt too much.
As for Helmut, he was just too lazy to explain, or too up himself to bother. I use that answer from time to time when I get a bit upity. Which is often.

Anyway, if something else strikes you, share it with us.

As for the pictures, they are a pleasant exploration of the relationship between light and form. The spontaneity of the photos provides us with a glimpse of what you see as a photographer. The use of negative space and the limited tonal values add to the drama.

Either that or they are just pictures.

You pick.

Cheers
Tom

George Holroyd

Trying to write an Artist Statement is way harder than making photographs, for me at least. A good statement can make a series and I envy those with the ability to talk freely about their art.

Charlotte Thompson

George

Reminds me of the "Old Art Noir" movies- which I love because of the very subtle shadows of shadow and light-
Nice Work
now where is your movie?

Charlotte-

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Trying to write an Artist Statement is way harder than making photographs, for me at least. A good statement can make a series and I envy those with the ability to talk freely about their art.

Each artist will talk freely of their art in their own way, George. Some feel the need to fit into an acceptable milieu; others are happy to speak in their own tongue.
The easiest way to make a statement is in the language you understand. The rest of us will grapple with it in the best way we can.
If 'just take pictures' is part of that, why the **** not? When I'm tired and rude, which is most days, I usually say something like 'because I can, now **** of and leave me alone'

Art nuvo or however you spell it is good, Charlotte. Love that genre.

Asher Kelman

George,

... my $0.02 on "Artist's statements"! You are not making art in a production line, each work comes from some need deep inside you. When you sell art to make a living, it has to be related to some market you naturally attract or can cultivate. If art is for a hobby, or you are dedicated and either satisfied with being poor or already have money, then, you just report your true feelings on the matter. Everyone else can take it or leave it. If, however, there's need to put bread on your table, the artist's statement then is already part of your marketing and so you might then have to take that into consideration.

Write down what your art means to you and why you came to this place in life and what you see ahead of you. From that will come your artist's statement. See how this fits in with your marketing goals.

Salvador Dali, BTW, had marvelous artistic ability to do what was his fancy, .................and be a brilliant showman and marketer too. He had as his partner a British, ex Air Force officer chap who, I believe retired from psychological warfare operations!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Another set of three images. In this set, light is the subject. As always, comments & criticism are welcomed.

no-4.jpg

George Holroyd: No. 4

From the series "33 Meters Squared"[/COLOR]​

George,

I've been returning to this picture several times. It relates well to the other pictures in the series with your wife as model. This particular image gives some sense of being enclosed but still letting in the light to a restricted place. What a good wife you have!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Tom

LOL

sounds like you went to Catholic schools like moi'
tell ya something

when I asked questions for priests and they couldn't answer
left me with "undeniable freedom"

was in my little girl mind "ok see ya"
however there is still a haunting.......

C-

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom

LOL

sounds like you went to Catholic schools like moi'
tell ya something

when I asked questions for priests and they couldn't answer
left me with "undeniable freedom"

was in my little girl mind "ok see ya"
however there is still a haunting.......

C-

Catholic! Indeed not. Good old hard labour in the public school. No working class boy would even associate with anyone from the local catholic school, who were targets for scorn and ridicule. After all, they did smell different.

George Holroyd

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It appears I may be extending my stay in Paris and might just have use of the apartment for a while longer. Although, I'm starting to think about what projects(s) will come next.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It appears I may be extending my stay in Paris and might just have use of the apartment for a while longer. Although, I'm starting to think about what projects(s) will come next.

George,

I'm happy for you and this opportunity. Plan execute and thank your wife!

Asher