• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Convergence

Shawn Kearney

Thoughts?

7702808142_5726042db1_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney: Convergence

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thoughts?

Shawn,

This is an interesting photograph. It's unusual and intriguing as to what's happing, but in any case it gets our attention. Everything does indeed come together at the center in some column of energy. What's going on? As a work of art, I'd want to know if there are siblings to which this also relates or if this is an entirely new project. I don't have my bearings as to know whether this is one picture of the stone covered dirt near some rock wall or a combination of different images. As art, it shouldn't matter to me as either I like it or I don't.

I'm keen to know the story of this and what your intents are. It's no bearing on this images worth the fact that I don't immediately get it!

..................It's friday and over 85 degrees F and the kitchen floor is flooded and has to be ripped up so I may not have enough brain cells to focus well enough for this picture. Maybe whatever caused this, also flooded my kitchen.

Clarity might come on my next visit!

Asher

Shawn Kearney

Often when you see photos of the desert landscape, it's a idealized view, unspoiled vistas of distant formations - even in our romantic ideas of the desert we are constantly looking outward, as if saying "nothing to see here; it's over there". I wanted to capture a desert landscape on a smaller scale, I wanted to capture how the light interplayed with the hills, and how the hills interact with the tracks left by ATV's. I wanted to capture the darkness dirt in shadow, and how it kind of erupts into lighter tones when lit. I wanted to capture the desert for the sake of it. I often feel like people overlook the parts for the whole.

7708906890_a840e07131_b.jpg

I need sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Hames

I'm really enjoying this - both with and without explanation!

I like that it's deliberately ambigous, and the choice of subject matter - this is landscape photography that really appeals to me.

I hope there's more to come in this series!

Sam

Shawn Kearney

Thank you for the encouragement. I don't think I'll make it into the basin nearly enough to make as much of a series as I'd like to, with gas prices what they are. My wife and I met in Powell, WY - so the area definitely is special to us, and we've discovered on this trip we really like recreating in this area, so I am sure we'll go back. I'd like to photograph around Greybull next and further into the interior, though there are very few roads out there, Road 3Fk looks interesting, however. I'd also like to get up around Meteetse.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Often when you see photos of the desert landscape, it's a idealized view, unspoiled vistas of distant formations - even in our romantic ideas of the desert we are constantly looking outward, as if saying "nothing to see here; it's over there". I wanted to capture a desert landscape on a smaller scale, I wanted to capture how the light interplayed with the hills, and how the hills interact with the tracks left by ATV's. I wanted to capture the darkness dirt in shadow, and how it kind of erupts into lighter tones when lit. I wanted to capture the desert for the sake of it. I often feel like people overlook the parts for the whole.

7708906890_a840e07131_b.jpg

Shawn,

Now with another view, we get one picture helping to explain and allow us to better read the other. I'd encourage you to continue to post other views you like, especially as the light changed. That way we have some of the benefits that you have in experiencing exact image on its own, but as part of a richer series. We can return to a particular image and then re-experience it, having been influenced by the extra information from its siblings.

After all, sometimes we might need an introduction to a language of art so that we can more fully benefit from what a photographer has achieved.

Asher

Shawn Kearney

Asher - as I have expressed here before, I have a hard time kind of understanding what makes most people visually "tick", you'll have to forgive me if I don't always think to provide details and context.

I really dig what you said about "the language of art".